Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What is the REAL chance of miscarriage... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1448994)

leyash 09-30-2012 05:31 PM

What is the REAL chance of miscarriage...

So, I know that each woman has a 25% (give or take a couple) chance of miscarriage when she becomes pregnant. I also know this goes up/down depending on age and overall health, etc.

So, if I am 8 weeks and 5 days pregnant currently, have three healthy boys, 1 chemical pregnancy in April, and no other miscarriages, what are my REAL chances of a miscarriage?

I'm also in great health. We saw baby's heartbeat last week on ultrasound. I'm 27 years old, and don't have, and never have had, any major medical problems.

I'm still at the point where I am checking the toilet paper every time I pee. This is driving me crazy. I'm afraid to go pee because I'm afraid one of these times, that I am going to see blood on the toilet paper and just KNOW that it's over. :/

Ugh.

krismark0 09-30-2012 05:41 PM

I'm pretty sure seeing a heartbeat reduces chances of miscarriage down to a pretty minuscule percentage. Maybe 1% or something like that, but I haven't seen the statistics in a while.

krismark0 09-30-2012 05:43 PM

FWIW I work in a hospital (I am just not in a medical profession) but most of the miscarriages I see are about 5-6 weeks.

leyash 09-30-2012 05:45 PM

Re: What is the REAL chance of miscarriage...

That makes me feel a little better. Although, I know that I've seen women on here that have had losses at 8, 9, 10, and even 13 or more weeks. It just scares me. I think once I hit the second trimester, I'll feel a little better... but ergh. It drives me crazy. I hate not being in control. :(

krismark0 09-30-2012 05:50 PM

I just read an article that said 5% after you hear heartbeat, then less than 1% after 12 weeks. That's still pretty good odds.

amcess721 09-30-2012 05:54 PM

I know the feeling... I felt the same way - always checking the TP around that time.

I hate to be the downer... but I have a good friend who has 4 healthy children... 8yo, 6yo, 4yo, 2yo... she got pregnant for the 5th time early this year - had a 12 week loss in Feb. No previous MC or trouble conceiving. Got pregnant again in July... and just had a 15 week loss this week :cry: She is totally healthy, no other health concerns - and now "later than normal" MC in a row :(

So I don't know as "statistics" can really tell you anything about your chances. You just never know.

songbird516 09-30-2012 06:19 PM

My midwife had 3 healthy children and then 5 miscarriages between 8 and 12 weeks. She found out that she had low thyroid function, though. So if you don't have any hormonal issues like that, your chances are pretty low of miscarriage at this point. (oh and she did have another healthy baby after they figured out what was causing the problem..)

leyash 09-30-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by songbird516 (Post 15752026)
My midwife had 3 healthy children and then 5 miscarriages between 8 and 12 weeks. She found out that she had low thyroid function, though. So if you don't have any hormonal issues like that, your chances are pretty low of miscarriage at this point. (oh and she did have another healthy baby after they figured out what was causing the problem..)

See, I've never had my thyroid checked that I know of, unless I had a test done at my last pap (which I never really ask about).

Anyway, I have a history of ovarian cysts, and have had them pretty bad for about two years now. Not sure if that plays any part into a thyroid function, but yeah.

Dang, I'm even more scared now. Crap.

krismark0 10-01-2012 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leyash (Post 15752265)
See, I've never had my thyroid checked that I know of, unless I had a test done at my last pap (which I never really ask about).

Anyway, I have a history of ovarian cysts, and have had them pretty bad for about two years now. Not sure if that plays any part into a thyroid function, but yeah.

Dang, I'm even more scared now. Crap.

I am no expert, buy usually low thyroid function = weight gain and you look quite thin.

I had a history of ovarian cycts and I have no thyroid issues (It has been checked almost every year because of other issues).

Try not to worry. Just be healthy and happy. Things will work out the way they are supposed to, one way or another. :hugs:

Sunshine915 10-01-2012 07:25 AM

I would try not to worry. Really. You have excellent chances once you see/hear the heartbeat. Remember, a 5% chance of miscarriage at this point means a 95% chance if a healthy pregnancy. Doesn't that sound better? :hugs:

Now, I had a miscarriage after seeing the heartbeat. It does happen, and it's horrible. We knew something was up, though--the beat was slow (100bpm) and irregular. If your baby's sounded good, there's further reason to try to relax.

Believe me, I understand the fear. I checked my tp constantly for all of my pregnancies, and I worried a lot. But, please, don't let the fear consume you. Enjoy the new life growing inside you; cherish each moment you have. Chances are, you'll be snuggling with a baby next year. Pregnancy is fleeting--try not to spend it miserable. No one can tell you what will happen, and any tiny chance of a problem is enough to make a mama worry. It's okay. It's normal. But, try to focus on all the positives...you'll feel a bit better that way.