Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Peanut allergy from just being breathed on in young infant - what am I in for??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449060)

mg5g 09-30-2012 09:10 PM

Peanut allergy from just being breathed on in young infant - what am I in for???
 
DD 5 months has had no solids yet. She is FF.
Today my older kids were eating peanuts and then decided to try to make the baby laugh. I asked them not to but they kept getting close to her - I wasn't worried about the peanuts I just didn't want them in her face :) About two mintues later her face broke out in hives! I've already gotten medical advice over the phone and have benadryl ready if needed, she is totally stable and fine. We need to see our GP tomorrow as per the nurse. Has anyone else ever had this happen to them, know someone it has happened to? Will DD have to live in a bubble??? If she mouthes toys that someone else touches say at playgroup and they ate a peanut at home are we in trouble? What can I do to get rid of the peanut contact in our house - the kids have touched toys. Three of them are outside - can I let them back in? I made them wash hands and brush teeth - anything else I should do?

issybissy 09-30-2012 09:29 PM

Re: Peanut allergy from just being breathed on in young infant - what am I in for???
 
You need to get a full test done on her. It could be very dangerous to allow peanuts and even sesame seed products in your home.
Is this the first of it you noticed? Hopefully she will grow out of it. I know in the school use to work in there was someone who was like this and the building where she was had to implement a no p.b rule..not even for lunchtime, for everyone in the building. it just wasn't safe for her.

You'll need to carry Benadryl and an epi and even some topical cream with you everywhere BC never know where something could've been in contact with peanut dust.

Maybe it wasn't even the p.b who knows? Let's hope for the best. The dr should be able to give you better advice and maybe there is a support group on here for that kind of allergy.

momof3boys1girl 09-30-2012 10:07 PM

Re: Peanut allergy from just being breathed on in young infant - what am I in for???
 
I agree with the tests! Id also get something that says peanut free family on your diaper bag or whatever so if you are around friends with snacks they wont offer her one as she older. They will prob give you an epi pen too. GL

mkrisel 09-30-2012 10:44 PM

I agree with talking to the doctor tomorrow and probably testing. There are lots of people in the world who are allergic to peanuts. They are one of the top allergens. And some people it is only ingestion while for others the smell is enough. If she really is allergic, your house will become a nut free zone. You'll get really good at reading labels of everything you buy :). You'll carry an epi pen around. And you'll have a lot of education in your future for both yourself, anyone that cares for dd, and dd herself. Allergies can be scary!
Hugs and I hope all works out well!

craigwick 09-30-2012 10:49 PM

Re: Peanut allergy from just being breathed on in young infant - what am I in for???
 
This site is an awesome resource:

http://community.kidswithfoodallergies.org/

mg5g 10-01-2012 12:34 AM

Re: Peanut allergy from just being breathed on in young infant - what am I in for???
 
Thanks for the link and advice. I'm not too worried about labels ... yet but maybe I shoud be after tomorrow? DD doesn't eat yet so it isn't like she is going to accidentally eat something for now. Thankfully we homeschool too so other then the playgroup we go to which I can drop if she has a life threatening allergy it isn't as bad as it could be - for now anyway. I was told to start acting like she has a life threatening allergy first and scale back later if we can. I guess for now I will practice the no-one but me holds the baby rule while out. Signs for the doors maybe? It is just so strange - I mean I've heard of kids with very bad peanut allergies but NEVER of babies, and NEVER of someone who was just breathed on - the nurse told me it is possible though (I am still hoping it was incidental that she got hives). I was also told that if she reacted like this with just breathing on her, if she actually eats one she will be in very, very serious danger. I guess they said that the first reaction is usually more mild and hers was pretty severe since she didn't even touch it so to expect it to be worse next time. OH anyone know how long peanut residue would stay on things I will wipe down as much as I can but I have NO CLUE what I might miss.

NiNi 10-01-2012 12:37 AM

Definitely get a test. I am an allergy mama myself, my boys have tons of allergies.

Sometimes when they develop them so young....they'll grow out of them.

sent from my iPhone. excuse all typos :)

NiNi 10-01-2012 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiNi
Definitely get a test. I am an allergy mama myself, my boys have tons of allergies.

Sometimes when they develop them so young....they'll grow out of them.

sent from my iPhone. excuse all typos :)

Eta. Get the test. Then divide and conqueror if needed. It's scary but try not to get yourself worked up until you know what you're in for for sure.

If the test is positive, just go from there.

If the kids have had peanuts before and this is her first reaction I wouldn't be SO freaked out about the house. She's been around that stuff for 5 months. I'd wash what you could. Sanitize things. And get rid of anything you felt like you couldn't clean properly. I'd just put a small sign on the door. Most people coming to your house will you know the situation. :)

Hugs mama.

sent from my iPhone. excuse all typos :)

chandni3 10-01-2012 07:48 AM

Re: Peanut allergy from just being breathed on in young infant - what am I in for???
 
Just a thought to make your cleaning toys easier, a lot of plastic and even wood toys can be put in a mesh laundry bag and go on the top rack of your dish washer

thirdtimemomma 10-01-2012 07:57 AM

My son has peanut allergy but not as severe. Peanut can touch him with out a problem.

My IRL friends teenage son is so bad that if someone touches food that had been processed in a plant that processes nuts and then touched him (say like m and ms) he will have a reaction.

That being said, until you know what your dealing with... I wouldn't feed your kids anything peanut and would clean all her toys. I would also require friends to wash hands before playing and to avoid eating peanut before coming over. Peanut oil is a bugger because its hard to get off.

Vicki- Wife to my Pastor Hubby 13 years, HS Mama to my 7 blessings ages 11, 9, 7, 5, 3, 1 and baby 5/29/12.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors