Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Can you lose your mucus plug after starting to dilate? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449164)

HeatherlovesCDs 10-01-2012 07:26 AM

Can you lose your mucus plug after starting to dilate?

TMI.....

I'm 38wks today. At my 35wk appt I was 1cm. I have no doubt I'm more than that now, probably up to about 3 or even 4. I have a history of dilating early and of very strong "braxton hicks" that do slowly change my cervix. This is my 4th pregnancy and I've never noticeably lost my mucus plug before. So.....new territory if I did.

This morning while I was going to the bathroom, I felt something "come out." TMI is I was going #2, but what I felt was after I was done with that and clearly from the front. I looked, but I wasn't wearing my contacts/glasses and I didn't see anything like a obvious plug. But, when I wiped, there was a lot of....goo that I haven't had before that. And, I know this sounds silly and gross, but it was fresh goo because I'd already wiped.

I'm confused. I probably wouldn't hesitate to think it was my plug except that I'm sure I'm fairly dilated by now. (I'm going to ask to be checked tomorrow.) I know the plug can regenerate. But, if I'm 2 or 3cms (or maybe 4) dilated, can I still have one???

Coupled with this is this feeling that I have that I'm in the calm before the storm, like any second now the contractions are going to change or my water is going to break. I just have this odd feeling. I know losing your plug doesn't mean you'll deliver anytime soon. The feeling started before that. But, I'm just feeling....odd this morning. :giggle:

Insight??

tygr2410 10-01-2012 07:40 AM

Re: Can you lose your mucus plug after starting to dilate?

yes, it regenerates and you will likely continually lose it till you deliver...which could still be 3 weeks away

JennTheMomma 10-01-2012 07:59 AM

Yup

HeatherlovesCDs 10-01-2012 08:08 AM

Oh Tina, bite your tongue! :giggle: I better not go 3 more weeks. I know losing your plug has nothing to do with going into labor, but seriously, I'm not going to make it 3 more weeks. (knock on wood!) Even with my first, I didn't even make it to 40. I was 39+1 or 2. I'm already 2wks and 3wks past my previous 2 two births (both twins). I'm sort of hoping to wait till Tuesday night at least, but after that, I'm hoping this baby makes his appearance. And, really, I'd be happy to pop this baby out 5 hrs from now too. LOL!!

Thanks!

7arrows4God 10-01-2012 08:32 AM

Every pregnancy seems different. Usually when I loose my plug labor and baby is close to follow. I lost my plug a week ago and no baby. And I am at least 3 cms. So different. Can get tiring and frustrating. Anyway I am 40 weeks today. When I do get tightenings, they are strong. Hoping very soon. Today would be nice.

Any yes, I believe I will end up seeing the plug again once the real thing hits.

Kiliki 10-01-2012 08:47 AM

Yes, it's your plug. You will keep losing it in bits and pcs until you have the baby.

This may or may not help.... I always have a ton of BH contrax that keep me up at night and bother me during the day for weeks before I deliver... With my youngest, I lost the plug and went into labor within 12 hours. I had a MW appt that morning and I was at a 3. I remember very clearly telling her "I woke up this morning, and I feel... like.... a ripe peach about to drop from a tree." My exact words. LOL. Went home, took a nap, had a "feeling" and had the baby about 12 hours after that.

It doesn't always mean anything. But last time, it did for me...

:hugs: Hope you have that baby soon!

HeatherlovesCDs 10-01-2012 09:06 AM

Thanks Kiliki! I'm not sure this feeling means anything, but I hope it does. I've not had it before. I was blindsided by labor with my first. (Expecting to make it to 40wks because it was my first, I was surprised to wake up in the middle of the night at 39 and 1 in labor.) I was also blindsided with my second with my water breaking at 35wks when no one expected me to deliver the twins yet. With my last, after going into preterm labor and it being stopped and being dilated to 5 for several weeks and basically in labor and on hospital bedrest for a week because of dilation, contractions and BP, they finally had to break my water to get me to actually deliver at 36wks. :giggle: (twins again) So, who really knows, but today I just feel like my body is getting ready to hit eject...imminently not in 2 wks if that makes sense.

The only problem is while I was singing the praises of wanting to deliver ASAP this weekend, I'm not anymore. My kids have colds and I feel rotten (from the start of a cold) and my childcare is flaky and is up in the air for today and tomorrow. (Another thread, but I'm trying not to stress.) So, I'd rather wait a couple days for people to get better and my childcare to be more reliable. But, of course, it isn't up to me anyway. So, I'm trying not to worry about the details and just go with the flow. ;)

songbird516 10-01-2012 09:45 AM

I didn't lose the mucous plug with the first until I was in labor, but was 3 cm before labor with the second, and started losing it the day before he was born. I thought that I'd lost a bunch of it, but there was still a LOT of it left when he was actually born! It was covering his face, lol. blech.
It sounds to me like you're close.

Palooka 10-01-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tygr2410 (Post 15753610)
yes, it regenerates and you will likely continually lose it till you deliver...which could still be 3 weeks away

Yup. I lost mine a month before I delivered. It just reforms.

happysmileylady 10-01-2012 10:06 AM

With two of my three, I generally lost it in one big glob about a week before, but then little bits here and there for that entire week.

But, I will say that my experience with those says that the "OMG, something is going to happen VERY soon" feeling isn't something that I would easily dismiss. I just KNEW I was having a baby the next day with my first, and with my second, although the feeling was more vague and more of, "something will happen this week" I think the body just knows.