Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   question about covers and pre-folds (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449191)

simplyleah87 10-01-2012 08:26 AM

question about covers and pre-folds

do you have to use snappies when putting a pre-fold in side of a cover?

are there any covers that don't require a snappi?

armywife21 10-01-2012 08:32 AM

Re: question about covers and pre-folds

We just trifold and put it in the cover usually.

heathjez 10-01-2012 08:44 AM

I feel it depends on the baby's shape and activity level. We tried tri-folding, but poop always got on the cover, and we had frequent pee leaks when the prefold would shift around. We ended up using snappis all the time. This allowed us to re-use the cover about 75% of the time and we never get pee leaks. I find them super easy, but other find them to be a pain. I have a friend who said she never used snappis or pins from birth to potty training!

ServingHim 10-01-2012 08:52 AM

I have good success with our flips and capris. I use them on my 12 week old and 2.5 yr old with no issues.

O'sMommy:) 10-01-2012 08:56 AM

You could trifold and use Flip or Capri covers... They both have a little flap on the inside front and back to hold inserts or prefolds. I use Flip inserts in them but am pondering trying prefolds in them.

smores 10-01-2012 09:02 AM

I trifold, but if you could get a cover snug enough, you could just wrap it around the prefold on the baby. I would think Flips would be good for this since they have stretchy tabs.

BabySnickerdoodles 10-01-2012 10:36 AM

When I use wool, I always use a snappi, and same with my flips. The only one that I don't NEED snappi's with, have been my TFP pul covers...they are amazing! Never had a poo leak with them, as the FOE really holds everything in. I just tri-fold and lay-in :) I WILL use a snappi, but don't need to.

I have the OS regular TFP's for my daughter, and the OS Toddler TFP's for my son :thumbsup:

tesslouise 10-01-2012 10:50 AM

I'm using trifolded newborn-size prefolds in Bummis or Thirsties covers on the 6-week-old, and I used trifolded capri-size prefolds in Flip covers (and a few others--one Weehuggers, one Green Carbon Living hybrid cover [no longer made], etc.) on DD#1 before she potty-trained. Poop sometimes gets on covers, but being able to "stuff" the covers ahead of time is a worthwhile trade-off, IMO.

boarder211 10-01-2012 11:56 AM

We usually just trifold now (only in the covers with the flaps so no exposed PUL touches baby's skin... just our preference), but when my baby was little, we would wrap the prefold around him and just put the cover on to hold it in place. Snappis were used only occasionally :)

BirthdayMama 10-01-2012 02:52 PM

I think it's kind of personal preference and the shape/age of your baby. I'm not personally a fan of trifolding on a younger or smaller baby because it's bulky, it uses more covers, and I don't like PUL touching their skin. On toddlers, I feel like all of those objections are minor compared with the need to get a diaper on fast! So we pin our prefolds for a while, and eventually switch to mostly trifolding (though I did get good enough with a snappi to get one on DD1 while she was standing up).