Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What can I do? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14492)

bfoster2000 06-15-2006 03:12 AM

What can I do?

Ok, I hate taking meds while pregnant but I have got to get some sleep. I'm exhausted, and yet I can't sleep. I lay down and can't get comfortable, toss, turn, stare at the clock, and wind up on here all night (I know, it'd be easier to sleep if I'd turn the **** 'puter off and go to bed!) I really think it's a viscious cycle...I'm depressed and can't sleep, but the fatigue is making me more depressed. I'm so tired I'm having headaches and dizzy spells...but then I sit down or lay down and my mind is racing and I just can't sleep. I can't get in to see my MW before Monday but I did leave a message for her to call me today so I can talk to her about all of this...it's just not healthy for me to be feeling this way. I haven't been eating right either...nothing is appetizing...I stand in front of the refrigerator and stare and every time I start to eat something, it just turns my stomach. I mean, I'm a big girl so I had some reserves but I'm 34 weeks pregnant and have gained less than 20 pounds and in fact, I'm pretty sure that I've lost about 5 pounds in the past two weeks because I just can't seem to make myself eat anything. I'm pretty sure the MW's going to want to start me on anti-depressants again. I think I'm also going to ask her to send me for bloodwork because I am prone to anemia and that often makes me tired and makes me lose my appetite and could be part of the dizzy spells. What else can I do? Tonight I was bound and determined that I was going to bed and was not getting up no matter what. I laid down when DJ did a little before 9 and did finally fall asleep, but then about 10:30, he woke up crying (still don't know what was wrong with him) and it took me an hour to get him settled again and by then I was good and awake. I got up to use the restroom and wound up "checking in" here and now it's after 4 a.m....

So are there herbal remedies that are safe while I'm pregnant that might help me relax and sleep? I'm almost positive that I was told Benedryl was safe during pregnancy but I can't remember for sure...that's the same active ingredient in OTC sleeping pills so are those safe? Any other ideas for how to just turn my mind off and get some rest? Thank you!!!

nothing_butt_cloth 06-15-2006 04:17 AM

Re: What can I do?

My friends MW told her to take skull cap. she told me is knocks her out fast but she still wakes up sometimes. she is like 24 weeks pregnant now. I took unisom tablets when iw as preggy with my last 2 pregnncies. My MW suggested them for me as well. I oly needed half a tablet. the meds in teh unisom tablets are differnt from the liquid gels. just FYI
ask your mw waht you can do.
As far as wt gain goes i dont know how to help you there. with m yoldest i gained 12 lbs in 40 weeks,( 7 lbs 9 oz baby) second was 7 lbs in 40 weeks 3 days, ( 6 lbs 15 oz baby)and my third was 4 lbs in 41 weeks. ( 6 lbs 5 oz baby)
With my older 2 i was told by my perinatiologist to drink protien shakes if i didnt want to eat. and to make them with ice cream and fresh fruit for extr goodness.

Good luck mama, you are down to the last weeks

rds989 06-15-2006 09:57 AM

Unisom - or Benedryl (they're the same active ingredient) is safe in small doses. It's actually a great anti-nausea drug, which is why my ob recommended it to me w/dd.

I know a lot of people like drinking warm mil before bed. I've heard that it does have a sleep-inducing effect, but I don't know if that's just a wive's tale. Worth a try, though.

kathywiehl 06-15-2006 10:05 AM

I didn't get to read your whole post thoroughly, but i wanted to say that my midwife recommended taking a warm bath with some lavender eo, then taking a glass of water with some valerian tincture drops (find these at the HFS) and going straight to bed. I used to take a book and read for a few minutes before covering up, usually Birthing from within or some other inspiring birth book. She said the key is to go straight to bed after drinking the valerian because it will relax you but you can't be up doing dishes or something after you drink it. It worked for me most of the time.