Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Green Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Want to use cloth pads but need help. Anyone? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449218)

*TinyJoys* 10-01-2012 10:12 AM

Want to use cloth pads but need help. Anyone?

Ok so I've decided to look into using cloth pads instead of disposables but I need some questions answered because I have no idea where to begin. Here are my questions:

Where do you find cloth pads? How many do I need? How much is the average pad? Do they leak more than disposables? Are there heavy flow/ overnight pads? How do you care for and store the dirty pads? [I cloth diaper, so would they be washed with my diapers or separately?] Do they need to be prepped, as with my diapers? What detergent is best? How do you prevent stains? What do you do with the dirty ones when out and about?

I know that is a lot of questions but if anyone could provide me with some guidance I would really appreciate it! I may have more later but that's it for now.:thanks:

waterisntsomething 10-01-2012 10:14 AM

Re: Want to use cloth pads but need help. Anyone?

subbing, me too! I just got a sewing machine so I am going to try to make mine but I don't know about the best types of fabric etc...

madebymommy 10-01-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieMarieVDV
Ok so I've decided to look into using cloth pads instead of disposables but I need some questions answered because I have no idea where to begin. Here are my questions:

Where do you find cloth pads? How many do I need? How much is the average pad? Do they leak more than disposables? Are there heavy flow/ overnight pads? How do you care for and store the dirty pads? Do they need to be prepped, as with my diapers? What detergent is best? How do you prevent stains? What do you do with the dirty ones when out and about?

I can help, I used to make them as a WAGN! You can find them here in the WAHM Wares section or on Hyena Cart / etsy.

How many you need really depends on the length of your cycle and how heavy or light your flow is.

Price depends on the length and absorbancy, and then varies by seller. That's something you'd have to research.

In my experience they do not leak more than disposables, and in fact hardly ever leak if you have the proper length and absorbancy!

Yes, there are heavy/overnight pads!

You can buy or make a small wetbag to toss the used pads in. Then wash them separate or with diapers, whatever you prefer!

Yes, I would wash and dry them at least once before using them.

Detergent is a matter of personal preference. I use Tide and bleach mine, some people prefer more natural detergents and don't bleach.

The best way to combat staining is to use pads with synthetic fabric, such as minky. But if you prefer natural fabrics such as bamboo velour, its a bit harder to prevent stains. I was never able to totally prevent staining on natural fabrics so I'm no help there!

When out and about, have a small wetbag in your purse. Just toss the pads in there after they are used and have clean ones ready to go!

Hope that helps!

*TinyJoys* 10-01-2012 11:19 AM

Thanks! This helps a lot! I'll do some more research and hopefully be able to get what I need. I'm just getting my first pp af now (my son is 15 months), so I'm not totally sure what they will be like but so far it seems pretty normal.

Also do you find them a lot more comfortable than disposables? Another one of my reasons for wanting cloth pads is that disposables can be very uncomfortable sometimes and (sorry if tmi) they can make me itchy.
One more thing, is mama cloth another way of saying cloth pads? Just so I know what people are talking about.

babymakes3.4.5.... 10-01-2012 02:56 PM

Well I can't answer all your questions since I just started stashing myself and I'm still pregnant :) BUT...I have found GEM Cloth and The Silver Liner (both have threads in the WAHM goods section on FSOT) to be super reasonably prices and easy to work with. They both make great products. There are different absorbency options and sizing options out there to fit your needs/preferences. If you're not sure, just ask the person making them, chances are they will be happy to help! The ones I have so far are all natural products and have only required one regular wash to "prep." I am currently using liners and I put them in the wet bag with the diapers and wash with diapers as well. I use Tide. I plan on getting a mini wet/dry bag (Planetwise makes them) to use when out and about so I can store extras and the used ones discretely. I hope that helps!!!!

madebymommy 10-01-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieMarieVDV
Thanks! This helps a lot! I'll do some more research and hopefully be able to get what I need. I'm just getting my first pp af now (my son is 15 months), so I'm not totally sure what they will be like but so far it seems pretty normal.

Also do you find them a lot more comfortable than disposables? Another one of my reasons for wanting cloth pads is that disposables can be very uncomfortable sometimes and (sorry if tmi) they can make me itchy.
One more thing, is mama cloth another way of saying cloth pads? Just so I know what people are talking about.

Yep, mama cloth is another term for cloth pads! And they are way more comfortable than disposable pads. They feel like wearing regular underwear (except a little bulkier!)

GEM Cloth 10-01-2012 05:29 PM

Where do you find cloth pads? They can be found here on DS, all over the internet, and in health food/natural stores.

How many do I need? I like to allow for 6 per day on heavy days but that is a generous estimate.

How much is the average pad? Maybe $5-10? but not totally sure on that.

Do they leak more than disposables? They leak less. In fact it is rare to have a leak at all.

Are there heavy flow/ overnight pads? Yes, there are both!

How do you care for and store the dirty pads? [I cloth diaper, so would they be washed with my diapers or separately?] I rinse mine out in the sink immediately after use and put them in an old ice cream bucket under the sink. Then I wash them with whatever is going in the washer next. You can wash them with diapers or with whatever.

Do they need to be prepped, as with my diapers? No but you do need to wash them before you wear them.

What detergent is best? Any.

How do you prevent stains? I rinse mine out immediately whenever possible.

What do you do with the dirty ones when out and about? Fold them up and put them in a waterproof bag. There are special bags for this called wetbag.

*TinyJoys* 10-02-2012 06:52 PM

Thanks for all the info., it was really helpful! Now I don't feel so lost and overwhelmed. This gives me a good starting point. :)

lalaith 10-02-2012 08:37 PM

Waaaaay more comfy than disposable! I have freakishly long/ heavy cycles, and would get, essentially, diaper rash from disposable pads.

I do have to use overnight/post partum ones for all but the last day or so, but that's true with sposies too.

elizabeth.scalf 10-03-2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lalaith (Post 15761560)
Waaaaay more comfy than disposable! I have freakishly long/ heavy cycles, and would get, essentially, diaper rash from disposable pads.

I do have to use overnight/post partum ones for all but the last day or so, but that's true with sposies too.

I got the diaper rash too with sposies. I've been using regular mama cloth for my postpartum even.