Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homesteading (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   Farming/Homesteading October Chat Thread (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449331)

chloecat 10-01-2012 01:07 PM

Farming/Homesteading October Chat Thread

thought i'd start it off ladies.

not to talkative it seems lately.. We are going tonight to look at a possible house to buy. it's in town, so i would be giving up a lot of what i am doing now. but it's an old 1800's farm house so i'm excited at the thought of redoing it and keeping it looking period correct! i have access to land if i want to garden too. i just wouldn't be able to do it in my own backyard

here's pics of our kitchen. finally finished it this morning.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...50954186_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...20612194_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...99115785_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...87683782_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...40935474_n.jpg

and I got pictures of the other bedrooms and the master bathroom too. Our house goes on the market next monday!! whoot Whoot:thumbsup: but i'm a little scared how i'll manage to keep it cleaned with the kids!! ahhhhh!!

Mysweetseven 10-01-2012 04:10 PM

Re: Farming/Homesteading October Chat Thread

Good luck in your house hunt. Your kitchen looks gorgeous.

I've been working toward going through everything and getting ready to paint to put our house on the market as well. What a loooooong drawn out process it it.

DS showed at Aksarben this past weekend and did pretty well with his lambs. It always seem to cost an arm and leg to go to the shows :2cents:

4H record books were due today and it felt good to get those turned in for another year. :lostit:

I put a pork roast in the oven for supper and hoping to get all of the fabric on the counter sorted and put away soon before supper is ready.

chloecat 10-02-2012 08:55 AM

the house we looked at last night is a no go for sure. i'm very sensitive to the spirit world. i know that sounds weird, but i know what i see and feel. that house has issues. i left feeling lightheaded and dizzy and i definetly won't be going back

still looking for the right house to come along. i leave in 2 days for my trip to see my mom and my house is nowhere close to ready to be listed for sale in 6 days!! ahhhhh. off to do more sewing and cleaning

Mysweetseven 10-02-2012 09:32 AM

Bummer on the house. Hopefully the right one will come along at the right time.

Funny you should mention that spirit world. My kids have been telling me that they think there is a ghost in our house for the last month or so. We have some friends that have had someone out to their house and were told that there is a spirit there and so I'm wondering if that is where it is coming from possibly but it has been several months since we've been around them. I know the entire history of this house and we are only the 4th family to live in it over 100+ years. 2 families were within our family itself. The only ones I'm not sure about is the original builders of the house. Makes me wonder.

My mom called to tell me she made some zucchini salsa this weekend and it turned out great. Can't wait to try it. :goodvibes:

I did get all of my fabrics organized yesterday. Yipee!

Made a huge batch of pumpkin pancakes this morning and froze quite a few. My kids love them and its a nice treat this time of year. Not a lot of room in the upstairs freezer right now. DD went downstairs last night to get some corn out of the freezer and couldn't get the door open--I went down and the entire top to shelves of the freezer had frozen into a solid block!! It took me quite awhile to get it open. I defrosted it and moved everything upstairs. :banghead: A new freezer is NOT in the budget right now.

ok---coffee break is over, back to school. I have my first homeschool check up this afternoon. We are using a new lady this year....wish me luck.

raisingcropsandbabies 10-03-2012 07:35 AM

Cloecat-your kitchen has me drooling! I missed why you were moving?

Mysweetseven- do you use the public school online? We do my fathers world, but have taken a break due to a very intense occupational therapy program Captain Obvious is about to undergo. They are casting his good arm so he will not be able to write and all that with it.
Sorry to hear about the deep freeze!

- Our laptop broke and so i am using this minature thing and it is horrible to type on. Excuse errors! When we got back from vacation, life got pretty intense and i didnt even go online for quite awhile. Now i am gearing the kids up for the childrens hospital stint so i guess it is not getting less hectic! Haha. Praying it will really benefit my oldest kiddo.
Dh is picking corn last and this week. The boys beg to go with him, but he doesnt feel its safe for them. And when he says that i defiitely take it seriously!
130+ Lambs went to auction last week. Nice to have those gone. The boys were prmised a payment from 1 of the lambs they bottlefed so they are figuring out what they will buy.
We bought another milk cow. A sweet jersey this time! She is due in a few days which is nice because our other jersey is starting to give less milk. The boys have started helping me make butter. Though cheese and the other dairy (buttermilks, ricottas, etc) i do on my own.
Meat chickens have another couple weeks to live. I will be so happy to be done with them. So smelly even though they are pasteured and ,moving the pen 2x a day is cutting into my sewing time!haha
Our half a hog shpuld be ready to pick up soon. This year i will be rendering the fat into lard instead of dh's mom. Any advice on that? That will take care of our meats until we are ready to butcher a cow in early febuary.
Its beautiful outside here with all the colors. We have been apple picking so many times partly because we love apples and to can it all and partly because it is just a great way to spend the day. Ive canned 3 bushels of apples and we are gping again to pick more on friday. Just planning on apple butter for this round. Then canning will be done for the year. Hooray! Haha. That will be a good feeling.
Baby girl is fussing so i better get. She has a fever and so we had to reschedule our pumpkin patch trop. They boys are restless...

Mysweetseven 10-03-2012 11:14 AM

Hi everyone. It is SO beautiful outside today but I"m really trying to push the kids to stay on task with school work today. They didn't get it all done yesterday and I hate to keep slipping behind a little each day. We still have a few library books to get through that relate with our FIAR row that are due on Monday and I'd love to get those done.

raisingcropsandbabies--We do homeschool. One of our options in the state of Iowa for full filling the the requirements is having a supervising teacher. We have 4 face to face visits at the library where she has the kids bring in a few things they have been working on and gives them encouragement and 4 phone call visits during the year just to check up and see how things are going. I felt almost refreshed after our visit yesterday, she is such a positive person---so nice. This is our first year with this lady, she has 6 kids of her own so it is a much better match for us than the lady we used for the past 2 years. She was a nice woman overall and took the position very seriously but just not a good mix for our family and style of schooling. I always felt like I was being watched over and the kids were intimidated by her. So I'm wondering what is your plan with your little guy while the arm is in a cast? Is it to encourage the use of the other arm more? No doubt it will be stressful at times but it sounds like you are thinking and planning ahead for what is best for him. :hugs:

I'm still hoping to get the rest of this done today:

-finish grating and freezing zucchini (I think my freezer will be officially full after that!! I need to figure something out before I go to Costco on Friday.

-This looks like our last day of 70+ weather with a high tomorrow of 50 so I would love to get the sheets washed and put on the line at least one more time. :goodvibes:

-Need to clean our the tomato beds--I think my poor plants are done. Pick anything that isn't great before it freezes tomorrow or Friday night.

-Finish my meal plan/grocery/shopping lists for Friday

-DH and DS #2 are going on a college/football recruiting visit Saturday in Minnesota so I need to pull the suitcase and cooler and plan their food out for that.

-and I really need to mop the kitchen and bathrooms floors (again) :banghead:

So anxious to get back out to the country soon so we can have all of our livestock again, I love hearing about everything everyone is doing. :goodvibes:

3lilbubs 10-03-2012 11:40 AM

:wave: I don't get to participate here much but I had a question and holy moly Meagan I wanted to say :drif: I want your kitchen! I missed why you were moving too?

Ok so, does anyone have, or know of anyone who has a mini-jersey cow? I have wanted one for a while now. I understand they cost about the same, I only want her for milk not meat. The size would be right for our land, feed requirements and the milk we'd need from her. Not to mention easier for me alone or one of my older boys to handle without worries.

raisingcropsandbabies 10-03-2012 01:34 PM

3lilbulbs-never heard of a mini jersey! We've always had regular jerseys. We don't like their meat so when it's time to say goodbye, it is off to auction. We are about to have milk coming out of our ears as Rosie (the new one) just had her calf today(a heifer, yay) and we are still getting a little under 2 gal. a milking from our ornery jersey.

Mysweetseven- yes, it is a constraint therapy to try to get his other arm stronger. He has been in therapies since birth, but this round is different. He goes to therapy 5 days a week, 3 hours a day. I am usually okay with what happened at his birth, but at surgery times or intense times like this, i get a little sad/frustrated. I know it is a process and the feeling will fade for a time though.
Oh and forgot to add- i made zucchini salsa for the first time this year and it really is yummy!
Glad you liked the lady! I have 4kiddos, but only homeschool the oldest (5 years old). It is challenging and i am nervous about how it goes with multiple kids to teach.

Dh finished harvesting for the day and is cleaning out one of the smaller sheds near our house. The boys are helping him and all is quiet in the house.

I still need to make cinnamon playdough, supper, and pumpkin rolls so i better get in that kitchen and get to work!

Dani_Phen 10-03-2012 01:47 PM

Hey ladies!!!

Meagan- Kitchen looks amazing!!! :drif:

I've been out today with a migraine from hades...I'm finally getting to feeling better. Started at 10 and it's going on 4...Oye. Thankfully Dh came home, found my medicine (couldn't see...everything was just black spots or blurry. Haven't had one that bad since 2009ish. Scary now that I have Ds!!), fed Ds and got my food ready for when I felt better. :wub: that man! Otherwise canning season is finally over and I did a fall cleanout monday and yesterday. Also went to Bible study last night. Now I plan to work on completeing the mile high and ever growing sewing pile the rest of the week along with Dr's appts and starting my first round of provera/clomid!! :)

Mysweetseven 10-03-2012 01:55 PM

Hey real quick...have any of you made pumpkin pickles?? I had them once when a co worker brought them to work and had me try one. DELICIOUS!! If anyone has a good recipe I would love it if you are willing to share.