Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What is your everyday solution for HARD water? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449373)

Kayla1981 10-01-2012 02:55 PM

What is your everyday solution for HARD water?

I need to know what direction to go now that we have moved to a home with very hard well water. I have actually seen sediment in my tub. My RnG is not cutting it and I'm not sure if I should try the Hard Rock or another brand of detergent. I'm having ammonia and stink issues for the first time in over 2 years of using CD's. :yuck: I have a FL and I use every kind of diaper between my 2 children but the PF's seem to be holding the most stink. I would like to keep it as simple as possible. If I can avoid having to add something like Calgon then that would be great.

Also, what is your favorite way to strip if you have a FL? I did a Dawn soak in the tub and my "clean" diapers smelled like pee. I'm not sure if that method was completely successful though.

AZmommy 10-01-2012 03:05 PM

Re: What is your everyday solution for HARD water?

Cd "safe" detergents and hard water dont mix in my experience try something more mainstream. You need the the Chelating adgents they provide to cut through the minerals and allow the detergent to work.

Kayla1981 10-01-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZmommy (Post 15755843)
Cd "safe" detergents and hard water dont mix in my experience try something more mainstream. You need the the Chelating adgents they provide to cut through the minerals and allow the detergent to work.

I've resisted trying them for a long time b/c my daughter has been sensitive to them in the past, except for the F&C ones. Will the F&C kinds cut it?

AZmommy 10-01-2012 03:29 PM

sure.. We have very hard water here I've been using targets brand up and up pristine clean free and clear and really liking it. Its their "green version" I'm liking it even more than tide.

madebymommy 10-01-2012 03:33 PM

We just moved to a house with EXTREMELY hard water. You can see the sediment any time you boil water, etc. Vinegar is my new best friend - I use a splash in the dishwasher and it cuts the film, I use a cup of it in every load of laundry, otherwise my clothing comes out kinda rough and stiff. With diapers I use Gain with a cup of vinegar and a dab if bleach, no stink and the diapers come out much softer!

littleleaf 10-01-2012 04:56 PM

We have hard water (calcium buildup everywhere). Despite all the recommendations that vinegar and hard water don't mix, we used vinegar in the pre-rinse for every CD wash, and used Biokleen f&c liquid in the hot wash. worked great.

For a strip wash -- what are you trying to accomplish? If you want a deep clean, use bleach and lots of extra rinses. If you want to get rid of excess detergent buildup, a squirt of Dawn, and lots of extra rinses.

smores 10-01-2012 05:15 PM

Tide + Calgon has been our go-to, it works well for us! We have pretty hard water.

rosefall 10-01-2012 05:18 PM

If you plan to be there a while, I highly suggest saving for a water softener, if you are able. It will make cleaning everything easier and add years of life to appliances.

Mama2Too 10-01-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smores (Post 15756386)
Tide + Calgon has been our go-to, it works well for us! We have pretty hard water.

Yes, this!

FunLovinMama 10-01-2012 08:23 PM

Tide!