Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Frustrating nursing behavior - help! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449497)

Miss squish 10-01-2012 07:20 PM

Frustrating nursing behavior - help!

Ds is 5 mo on a few days. He has recently developed some nursing habits that are driving me up the wall and I don't know how to curb or redirect the behavior. A nursing necklace just makes him stop nursing to play with it.

1. Ds has starting singing to his supper, which is fine, except his grunting usually ends with him tightening his latch and then biting down. I take him off, say no in a louder than usual voice and look stern, but he just smiles and tries to get back on. I don't let him for a few minutes. He cries but if i put him on he does the same thing. It's been a week and hes still not getting it? What else can I do?

2. He cues to nurse in public, which is fine by me and we have done it regularly all over town, but now he is refusing to actually do anything productive. He latches, pulls off to look around. But god help me if I put my boob away. I have tried distracting him and doing something else, he refuses to be swayed. I tried covering with a blanket but the blanket becomes the object of distraction. Tried going some place quiet/alone but most of the time he continues to look around and not nurse. All his fussing tells me he needs to eat/comfort nurse but when I try to let Him he just sits there playing around.

3. He pulls at my clothes, his ears, hits and scratches my breast......he pulls my shirt to his mouth and turns to suck on my shirt and his hand. Same actions on my part as above but no results.

My nipples are getting sore from all the popping off and relatching. Any ideas? Is this just a stage and he gets over it? These behaviors are happening about half of the time we are trying to nurse.

mommabritt 10-01-2012 08:56 PM

My nurslings have all gone through a stage of distraction. It's annoying for sure but it passes

I limited nursing to a nothing, calm room anytime they wanted to nurse. Playing resulted in being done. If we are out and I need to cover I use a cover with a strap so they can't yank it off. A few months later and things go back to normal. Stick it out and keep being consistent. He'll get it. :)

hpfgirl 10-01-2012 09:28 PM

He won't goof around if he's actually hungry. Hold out on him a bit and offer other distractions.

doulamomma 10-01-2012 09:33 PM

If hes messing around or biting tell him no, if it continues nursing time is over. He wont mess around if hes really hungry. He will get the message soon

Sent from my droid

mommieofpees 10-01-2012 10:03 PM

Re: Frustrating nursing behavior - help!

I agree if he is to distracted try waiting for a little bit. If he keeps biting push him into your chest he will let go and asscociate biting with not breathing and it will hopefully stop. It worked with my older two and obviously not for long

l_Kimmie_l 10-02-2012 07:43 AM

My almost 6 mo old has the distraction bug too. He does the latch on and off thing. He will actually eat for 3 min and then begin to play. It is very annoying. Been doing this for nearly a month now. Not sure how to fix it. I put the booby away though after a few times.

sweetpeapumpkinbaby 10-02-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommabritt (Post 15757399)
My nurslings have all gone through a stage of distraction. It's annoying for sure but it passes

I limited nursing to a nothing, calm room anytime they wanted to nurse. Playing resulted in being done. If we are out and I need to cover I use a cover with a strap so they can't yank it off. A few months later and things go back to normal. Stick it out and keep being consistent. He'll get it. :)

:yeahthat: It passes. I also did the "if you keep popping off, you must not be that hungry" thing. Oh, and biting, for my son, meant teething. I would give him a cold teething ring after I took him off the breast for biting and say something like "You cannot bite Mama. Here's something to bite."

Miss squish 10-02-2012 06:22 PM

Thanks ladies.

I will try to make ds wait a little longer, I tried to this afternoon. If he started messing around we stopped and waited. He was not a fan but he was a little less rude when I did let him nurse.

I do think he's teething. His gums are all lumpy and he's more fussy than usual. Tylenol does nothing for him unfortunately but telling him no but offering something else soothing is a good idea.

How long does this stage last? I'm dying over here. Nursing has been one of my few opportunities to tune out a little. This bebe is nonstop action so this was my only down time to read or watch part of a tv show. Frustration tolerance is getting low when I don't have an chance to disengage.

l_Kimmie_l 10-03-2012 07:57 AM

I feel like I am doing aerobic nursing now. He used lay still and nurse, now he is all over the place. He kicks one leg the whole lime I nurse him now. He also tries to twist around. I am not sure if it will get better or worse.

marliah 10-03-2012 10:17 AM

Hylands teething tablets are really great, we also found this works for teething too

http://www.amazon.com/Boiron-Camilia...ron+chamomilla

The bioron is a bit more expensive but I think it works a bit better. Hylands still kicks tylenols butt though :) we don't use Tylenol for teething at all anymore (we did with our first two babes)