Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Help me fix my 2 yr w/ sleeping issues (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449509)

coffeemama 10-01-2012 08:03 PM

Help me fix my 2 yr w/ sleeping issues

Any tips for a 2 yr old with terrible sleeping habits? She wakes up 1000 times a night unless I put her in our bed and co sleeping isn't for us. Any ideas? Last night she woke up 3 times between 7 and 11 :(
Any hints or book suggestions would be awesome!

Rhianna'sMommy 10-01-2012 08:12 PM

Re: Help me fix my 2 yr w/ sleeping issues

What is her room like? Is there a fan or white noise in there? Have you tried playing some quiet music? Is she in a bed or crib? If in bed, how long has she been there? Is the room dark? Any night lights? If so are they maybe too bright? Is the door open or ****? Try changing which way it is and see if that helps (I have one kid who sleeps better with an open door and one who sleeps better with a closed door). Try getting something lavendar scented for the room. Does she need a warmer/lighter blanket?

Hope some of these gove you some ideas...

amomma 10-01-2012 08:20 PM

We have a 2 year old JUST like that :) She slept great until she was 6 months old, and ever since then it is like having a newborn in the house! We make sure her room is dark and she is comfortable temperature wise. She sleeps better if she is warm, like really warm. And, we use a noise machine with white noise. She will ask us for it before naps and bed! We also got the The Good Nite Lite and that has helped tremendously! If the moon is on she knows it is time to go to bed. She knows that if she wakes up and her moon is still on, she has to lay in bed quietly until the "sun wakes up." (you set the time for the moon to come on, when it is ok for them to wake up the sun will turn on) It took a few weeks for her to really get it, but now we are doing good! She still wakes us up if she needs to go potty or if she is hungry, but otherwise she sleeps and we sleep! Good luck. I totally understand how frustrating and exhausting it is!
eta: we also got room darkening shades. In the summer, she would be up before 5 am because the sun would be rising. It was AWFUL! Now it's just dark in her room and she has no idea what the sun (the real sun :) ) is doing so she can't tell us that it is time to wake up because it is light outside!

coffeemama 10-02-2012 06:52 AM

She doesnt have any noise in her room but planning on changing that. She has been in a toddler bed for 10 months when she was 16 months and climbed out of her crib (or she would still be in it). There is a little bit of light but it isnt directly in her room but enough if my DS gets up he can see to the bathroom. He door is open but, not sure I could close it until she gets a little older. I am thinking between the noise, blankets, and just being consistent I may be able to get it fixed. THANK YOU!
The Good NightLight sounds like a great idea! I thought maybe she was too young for it but maybe not. We have tried keeping it completely dark in her room and that doesnt seem to make much difference at night but could be beneficial during the morning

amomma 10-02-2012 12:52 PM

Yeah, I think consistency is the most important. DD is on a mattress on the floor. (we moved her out of her crib at 16 months also, but needed the crib for DD2. We weren't ready for her to be off of the ground on a "real" bed. ) so she is free to get up and wander out :) We put a gate up so that she doesn't come out of her room in the middle of the night and fall down the stairs. But, she is still able to pull open her door and let us know if she needs us. I also read The Sleep Lady's Good Night, Sleep Tight book and that helped SO much! We were able to get her to put herself to sleep (without fighting and tears!) and she really does sleep so much better now. I was soo doubtful at first but it really did work for her. Just another idea :)