Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   tell me about water births (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449526)

simplyleah87 10-01-2012 09:02 PM

tell me about water births

OK a little back story, my last birth experience was pretty good, I had an epi in a hospital but I was induced a week early due to pre eclampsia.

The birth was great but the healing was HORRIBLE.

Now I'm not pregnant at the moment but we have been talking a lot about our next baby which leads me to thinking if I'll want a different birthing plan this time. Water birth is the only other thing I would probably consider.

do you feel a lot of pain during a water birth? what's the healing like afterward?
do they let you go way past your due date so you don't have to be medically induced? (I really hated being induced)

marvelous 10-01-2012 10:08 PM

Re: tell me about water births

I'll preface this by saying I tend to have long labors.

Waterbirth #1: (Started at 39 weeks 5 days, born 39 weeks 6 days) The heat and buoyancy of the water helped with the early contractions. It didn't completely get rid of the pain, but it did help. I didn't labor in the water the entire time and even felt it may have slowed down my labor during the earlier hours. Once I was fully dialated, I was in the pool, and pushing was not a big deal at all. DS came out in just 2 or 3 pushes. He was alert and didn't even cry. I had a very minor tear that MW didn't worry about. Somewhat sore, but felt great the next day.

Waterbirth #2: (Started at 40 weeks 5 days, born 40 weeks 6 days) Didn't get in the water this time until I was 8 cm dialated. Contractions seemed harder to deal with since I had contractions the day before and all day the day of the birth, I was just sick of contractions. I don't think I was fully and completely dialated when I started pushing this time. I just wanted DD2 out and was ready to be done. It took a lot more effort to push her out even though she was smaller. She was alert as well, but cried a little when she was born. I am way more sore this time but still felt pretty much back to normal the next day. Again, tore a little bit, a little more than before, but MW didn't worry about it and just gave me instructions to keep it clean over the next few days. I'm still quite sore (just had DD2 last Friday) but getting better everyday.

I would still take a water birth over dry land, but I feel that the majority of success in my water births was being at home and studying/reading/preparing for a natural birth in general. My first was a hospital birth with an epidural and the usual stuff. It was not a bad birth, but I had a harder time recovering especially with getting all the fluids out of my system from being in the hospital. I felt sluggish and weighed down the first few days. Compared to that, I would do a home birth, water or no water, in a heartbeat. Hope you find what would work best for you. Good luck!

strongwoman 10-01-2012 10:14 PM

I haven't had a water birth but a friend of mine did for her second child. (I hoped to have one with DS3 but my midwife thought i might relax too much in the water, prolonging my labor time). She said that it was really helpful to be in the water during contractions because the warmth of the water helped her relax. I think most water births are done without pain meds and are usually at home with a midwife. So, obviously, you will feel pain, no way around it. But, I bet it will be an amazing experience, especially because you will be able to feel what your body does while going through the process without meds. This was very empowering for me during all three of my labor and births. Anyway, I'm sure others will be able to share better firsthand experiences with you :)

keen1981 10-01-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplyleah87
OK a little back story, my last birth experience was pretty good, I had an epi in a hospital but I was induced a week early due to pre eclampsia.

The birth was great but the healing was HORRIBLE.

Now I'm not pregnant at the moment but we have been talking a lot about our next baby which leads me to thinking if I'll want a different birthing plan this time. Water birth is the only other thing I would probably consider.

do you feel a lot of pain during a water birth? what's the healing like afterward?
do they let you go way past your due date so you don't have to be medically induced? (I really hated being induced)

As with any natural labor, yes there is pain. Plan for pain. It is manageable. No one dies from the pain. Is it scary? The unknown? Yes. But is it worth it? Yes.

I healed 10x fast than my epi birth. Partly because my body pushed when IT needed to. Not when a nurse told me to.

I will go to 42 weeks unless there are any
Medical concerns.

mamato2boyz 10-01-2012 10:25 PM

My first birth was the normal hospital, epidural and horrible recovery. I tore and had stitches that the DR tore out and put back in. Ouchie!!!

Second birth was at home and in the water. It was AWESOME! I had a very quick labor though. Water broke at 3am and he was born at 7:40am. I didn't really get into the water until right before pushing time just because the tub wasn't even filled yet. I had no tearing and my beautiful boy was born quietly and serenely. It was so fast my midwife didn't even make it for his birth!

I will definitely be going for another water birth. It made a huge difference for me.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forumh

klevmomma 10-02-2012 07:14 AM

My first birth was hospital, epi, episiotomy, etc. Numbers 2 and 3 were natural, but not water births. I delivered both of them in the shower. Numbers 4 and 5 were both water births.

My recover with #1 was unpleasant. I felt like I had been hit by a Mack truck the day after he was born.

My recovery with the others was light years better. For some of them, I felt better after they were born than I did my last week of pregnancy. It is a shocking difference, really. Like PP said, I primarily attribute it to pushing only when my body wants to, rather than when a monitor, nurse, or whatever tells you to.

Yes, you still feel pain with a water birth. But, hydrotherapy is amazing. With #2, when I got in the shower, I was shocked at the reduction in my pain. I kept asking my midwife if I was still in labor because I felt about a million times better. To me, it was better relief than the epi with #1 - I could still move and control my body, so didn't have the drawbacks of the epi, but the pain relief was just as good for me.

Here's the other benefit. If you plan for a natural delivery, water birth or otherwise, you can always change your mind, right? It's not all or nothing. Go for it and try it, and if you are unhappy, you aren't going to be any worse off for having tried :-)

1healthylady 10-02-2012 09:30 AM

I loved my water birth. I have nothing to compare it to tho. My contractions started at 11pm and I got in the pool around 4 or 5pm. It was instant relief. It didn't take away the pain, but it was so much more manageable and it was much easier to relax between contractions. I had a couple tears, but then again I pushed DD out in one push. My recovery probably would have been a lot better had I not transferred to the hospital because of my dastardly placenta afterward. Looking back, the birth seemed pretty pain free compared to what I went through to get the placenta out.

Sent from my Android using DS Forum

simplyleah87 10-02-2012 02:14 PM

thanks for the info ladies!!

Lisathena 10-02-2012 09:07 PM

If you click on Myra's name you can see pics thru mine <3 best birth ever besides the PPH :blush:

hohaas 10-03-2012 04:03 AM

DD1 was hosp birth w epi and episiotomy. Recover was the hardest w her. DD2 was hosp birth w epi but she was smaller and easier recovery. DD3 was BC water birth (38w5d). I did labor in the water but when I was 7 cm I got in the tub and my ctx slowed down. They were still not really reg at that point so I'm not surprised but once they picked up the tub didn't slow them down. DD4 was BC water birth too (40w).

The water did help IMO with the ctx. I still felt them, still felt pain but it did relax me and I think it helped when pushing. Babies didn't cry til they were stimulated by the nurses but they both did great. Loved my water births and if I have another they'll be born in the water too.

My last DD took a bit to pass her hearing test since she still had a little fluid in her ears but she was fine!