Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   1st bday ideas (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449534)

BubBubsMom 10-01-2012 09:40 PM

1st bday ideas

My first baby is turning 1 and I have no clue what to do about his birthday. I know not much since he is 1 but there will be a few kids a little older that i would like to have something going on besides eating and having cake, give me some ideas please! Thank you!

leadmare 10-01-2012 11:03 PM

Re: 1st bday ideas

Curious what others do. The few people I know have had pretty low key 1st bdays. Something at home with mom and dad, or at the park with another family or two. That might work well for you since the other kids could run around and play at the park, and the adults could hang at park tables. (Or play, too :) )

BubBubsMom 10-01-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leadmare
Curious what others do. The few people I know have had pretty low key 1st bdays. Something at home with mom and dad, or at the park with another family or two. That might work well for you since the other kids could run around and play at the park, and the adults could hang at park tables. (Or play, too :) )

Would love to do it at the park but his bday is in November and we live in Alaska lol

BubBubsMom 10-03-2012 02:19 PM

Anyone else?

EmilytheStrange 10-03-2012 03:09 PM

Our first birthday party was only family and only grandparent types (plus my sister, but not the rest of the family/cousins/etc).

this was because 1) we were moving and actually travelling through where our family lived on her birthday and 2) DH says that no one besides the grandparents really care about 1st birthdays. Which, I sorta think is true.

On the other hand, I have attended a couple first birthday parties for other children, but those children had older siblings and therefore, older toys and that satisfied the 'what can the kids do' part of the equation.

I don't know, really, other than that.

When we hadn't planned on taking advantage of the travelling part to have a party, we were just planning on taking her to a zoo or aquarium as a big special day with her parents. I don't know if that's an option for you or not.

If you decide to have a party, I'd maybe go get a few toys - depending on the age of the kids who were going to attend. Legos... paint projects, etc. If you get good nontoxic paint, your LO should be able to participate. Just get some stuff that you know you want for your child in a few years if you have the money to do so.

Indoor parties are tough no matter where you live.

Jlg325j 10-03-2012 08:10 PM

I'd say keep in small and low stress for you. Your DS won't remember it anyhow other than pics....I went way overboard but look back and wish I hadn't :(

Aubrey<3Gavin 10-04-2012 12:22 PM

I am having a family bday party for DD, but she will have cousins, etc.. there. I'm thinking about 9 other kids, and most of them are older (between 5-11yo). I tried to think of activities that she might be able to do to an extent but that would also keep the older kids entertained. We are having a Peter Pan themed party b/c my dad calls her Tink. Plans are:

1. Bubble pop/dance party. Kids of all ages love bubbles. I figured we can't go wrong here.

2. Following the Leader (like the song in Peter Pan). I figured the older kids can actually do silly things and try to copy each other. DD and the other toddler there can just toddle around and be silly.

3. Four Square. Do you know this old game? Again, I figured the older kids will actually be competitive about it but the 2 itty-bitties can just run amuck and have fun.

Mom2Connor 10-04-2012 12:43 PM

You guys must live in some backwards places! Around here, 1st birthdays are HUGE as well as 1st Christmas, etc. We had family from both sides, friends, some long time family friends at DS's 1st birthday. i don't know what to suggest as far as other stuff though. We just had adults and one other baby at our party, so they played with the toys and gifts once they were opened. We just grilled out and had cake/ice cream. It was just a big fun social thing.

I actually toned it down quite a bit for the second one.

EmilytheStrange 10-04-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2Connor (Post 15769405)
You guys must live in some backwards places! Around here, 1st birthdays are HUGE as well as 1st Christmas, etc. We had family from both sides, friends, some long time family friends at DS's 1st birthday. i don't know what to suggest as far as other stuff though. We just had adults and one other baby at our party, so they played with the toys and gifts once they were opened. We just grilled out and had cake/ice cream. It was just a big fun social thing.

I actually toned it down quite a bit for the second one.

when I was in Hawaii, first birthdays were as huge as weddings or sweet sixteens. It was definitely a cultural thing.

but no one that I personally know.

dncegrl 10-04-2012 01:47 PM

My lo is turning 1 next week! For his birthday I invite family and close friends over. Not everyone shows up but a lot of them do. There are kids from the age of 3 all the way up to 19...so I don't plan anything and I just let them run wild. I get my child their own cake and let them play with it. And usually a sub with a side and cake/ice cream for everyone else.