Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transaction & Feedback Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   shipping to Canada (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449567)

mommyria2 10-02-2012 06:17 AM

shipping to Canada

What do I need to know? How much extra does it cost?

Jedimomma 10-05-2012 10:51 AM

It honestly isn't that much more expensive. You have to go to the po and fill out a customs form, which is basically biting the value of the contents, your address and the burrs address. You can't get dc unless you ship priority which is super expensive, but the customs number on your receipt acts as a dc#, so its really not necessary. You can type that customs number into the usps tracking site and it does exactly the same as dc. I shipped 5 pocket diapers and 10 inserts to Canada for about $10.50 last week if that gives you any idea. :)

Jedimomma 10-05-2012 10:52 AM

Buyers address. Not burrs. I'm mobile. Lol

ecomama90 10-09-2012 03:39 AM

Re: shipping to Canada

I know some of my American momma friends use an internet program that they pay I believe $9/month that allows them to fill out customs forms online and then USPS picks up their packages at their home with your regular mail if you schedule a pick up. For some it may not be worth it but I guess for them $9 beats having to lug their babies to the PO with them. I'm not sure if the actual shipping is cheaper or not, though it might be just like paypal so a little bit cheaper. Just tell the buyer that the tracking number only tracks up until customs and you aren't responsible for it after that (most Canadian mommies don't know that and that's where the problems often start, where the tracking says "Florida" for example for weeks when in reality the item is close to being delivered up in Canada). If they want full tracking to their door they can pay for that shipping. I'm a Canadian momma and for more expensive items I often pay the higher shipping just for the tracking, if it's not that expensive I just go with regular priority international and I've never *knock on wood* have a problem with receiving packages from the US. It just takes a while sometimes. I've had packages show up in 1 week and sometimes it takes a month. Sorta hit or miss.

mommy24babes 10-09-2012 05:36 AM

I quizzed our pp lady while there getting estimates for shipping the other day.
For packages coming from the states Canada post can track them by the customs number once they enter Canada. You have to call in though it doesn't work to put the number in yourself.

One thing I didn't realize is that all our packages except letter mail include $100 insurance on them. Makes me a bit less nervous mailing things out without being able to get dc.
Not sure how it actually works but better than nothing.

gigismomma 10-09-2012 09:20 AM

When I ship to Canada, I ship first class international and insure the package -- it is much cheaper than upgrading the shipping to include some type of delivery confirmation.
The package usually costs an additional $1-2 to mail (compared to shipping in the US), and insurance is another $1-2. Sometimes I ask the mama to cover the additional cost (not to mention the time I spend at the PO and the gas money to get there), but most of the time I just eat the cost because I find Canadian mamas to be so nice!

Here is where I purchase insurance:
http://www.insurepost.com/Default.asp

BeccaSueCongdon 10-11-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jedimomma
It honestly isn't that much more expensive. You have to go to the po and fill out a customs form, which is basically biting the value of the contents, your address and the burrs address. You can't get dc unless you ship priority which is super expensive, but the customs number on your receipt acts as a dc#, so its really not necessary. You can type that customs number into the usps tracking site and it does exactly the same as dc. I shipped 5 pocket diapers and 10 inserts to Canada for about $10.50 last week if that gives you any idea. :)

The customs number doesn't count as tracking for pp seller protection purposes. So if the buyer files a claim, paypal doesn't accept a customs number as proof that it's been delivered. Just FYI.

c&w's mama 10-27-2012 11:44 AM

so, my DH keeps telling me I need to pay tarriffs and taxes because I am exporting/selling goods into Canada... they're used dipes, for goodness sakes! how hard can this be?! how do I figure that out? I have looked at the USPS site, I have the customs forms, I'm usually pretty good at figuring things out... what do you guys do to keep transactions on the level and not get things stuck in customs?

Hillargh 10-27-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecomama90
I know some of my American momma friends use an internet program that they pay I believe $9/month that allows them to fill out customs forms online and then USPS picks up their packages at their home with your regular mail if you schedule a pick up. For some it may not be worth it but I guess for them $9 beats having to lug their babies to the PO with them. I'm not sure if the actual shipping is cheaper or not, though it might be just like paypal so a little bit cheaper. Just tell the buyer that the tracking number only tracks up until customs and you aren't responsible for it after that (most Canadian mommies don't know that and that's where the problems often start, where the tracking says "Florida" for example for weeks when in reality the item is close to being delivered up in Canada). If they want full tracking to their door they can pay for that shipping. I'm a Canadian momma and for more expensive items I often pay the higher shipping just for the tracking, if it's not that expensive I just go with regular priority international and I've never *knock on wood* have a problem with receiving packages from the US. It just takes a while sometimes. I've had packages show up in 1 week and sometimes it takes a month. Sorta hit or miss.

Saying you aren't responsible after it hits the border doesn't mean you aren't responsible. That's the chance you take with international shipping. Whether the package arrives or not, they can file as not received and they WILL get a refund from PayPal unless the seller can prove delivered status. So you either take the chance or shell out for actual delivery confirmation to protect your hide.

In reference to the PP, I've never heard of mamas having to pay extra expenses :headscratch: Unless your DH works for the PO, I'd go by what they say as opposed to his opinion ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

c&w's mama 10-27-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillargh (Post 15865034)
Saying you aren't responsible after it hits the border doesn't mean you aren't responsible. That's the chance you take with international shipping. Whether the package arrives or not, they can file as not received and they WILL get a refund from PayPal unless the seller can prove delivered status. So you either take the chance or shell out for actual delivery confirmation to protect your hide.

In reference to the PP, I've never heard of mamas having to pay extra expenses :headscratch: Unless your DH works for the PO, I'd go by what they say as opposed to his opinion ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

hahahahaha... thanks. He worked for a small business a few years back that sold very expensive instruments (more than a quarter of a million dollars, US) and I know they freaked when things got stuck in customs, who wouldn't a small business or otherwise... but these are used items- not worth much (as the world market goes), so I thought it would be different.

But I do get his point that something is being sold- not sent as a gift. And I'd never seen it addressed here.

My thanks to you for responding!