Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Constipation. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449586)

leyash 10-02-2012 08:26 AM

Constipation.

Wow. So... it's been about a week since I've gone to the bathroom, give or take a day or two. I've not yet hit the "uncomfortable" stage... but I'd imagine it's coming soon if I don't do something.

What in the world can I do? I drink gatorade and water, that's it. The problem is, I'm vomiting so much, that I'm not sure how much of it my body is actually holding onto. I eat what I can. That being said, it's not always healthy/full of fiber.

I don't want to take medications... but I need to do something, otherwise, this could get extremely uncomfortable, really soon.

Any tips?

AniMommy 10-02-2012 08:43 AM

Glycerine suppositories? I know you said no meds but dont be a martyr take some dulcalax.

HeatherlovesCDs 10-02-2012 08:55 AM

Re: Constipation.

Load up on fruit and fiber. Maybe even take a fiber supplement.

I've never really had this issue in my previous pregnancies, but a few weeks ago it got so bad that I was in real pain. I ended up taking Miralax because I couldn't stand it anymore and I was desperate. It worked within a couple days and I haven't had to take anything again. It was seriously bad! I hope you get some relief.

leyash 10-02-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs (Post 15758390)
Load up on fruit and fiber. Maybe even take a fiber supplement.

I've never really had this issue in my previous pregnancies, but a few weeks ago it got so bad that I was in real pain. I ended up taking Miralax because I couldn't stand it anymore and I was desperate. It worked within a couple days and I haven't had to take anything again. It was seriously bad! I hope you get some relief.

I debated on drinking a cup of coffee. That seems to work fairly well (I've had two cups my entire pregnancy). I'd rather drink a little bit of coffee than take medicine anyway.

Thanks for the tip. I might make a fruit smoothie in a bit and see if that seems to get things moving.

HeatherlovesCDs 10-02-2012 09:15 AM

I was even trying to eat some dairy to get me moving. I'm lactose intolerant and it gives me a horrible GI reaction. :blush: I figured I would eat dairy, then my GI system would freak out and I'd clean myself out. Nope. It clearly didn't like the dairy, but it didn't clean me out either. :banghead: Personally, I don't drink coffee (though I don't avoid caffeine completely either, just don't like coffee), but if I knew it might get me moving, I'd go for that over meds first. But, in the end, I just couldn't get myself going and had to take the meds.

leyash 10-02-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs (Post 15758476)
I was even trying to eat some dairy to get me moving. I'm lactose intolerant and it gives me a horrible GI reaction. :blush: I figured I would eat dairy, then my GI system would freak out and I'd clean myself out. Nope. It clearly didn't like the dairy, but it didn't clean me out either. :banghead: Personally, I don't drink coffee (though I don't avoid caffeine completely either, just don't like coffee), but if I knew it might get me moving, I'd go for that over meds first. But, in the end, I just couldn't get myself going and had to take the meds.

I will definitely take medicine if it comes down to it. Just wanted to find some other, alternative "tricks" to use first. I will take medicine over having poisonous fecal matter in my body for weeks on end, for sure.

I think I just grossed myself out.

tesslouise 10-02-2012 10:33 AM

Fiber like Benefiber in lots of water.

Probiotics.

A smoothie with yogurt, fruit, ground flaxseeds, and a handful of baby spinach.

A one-time megadose of vitamin C.

The previously mentioned cup of coffee.

If you need meds, stool softeners (Colace) and milk of magnesia are probably the gentlest choices.

twinpossible 10-02-2012 04:28 PM

Eat foods on a regular basis that are high in fiber. Constipation is always an issue for me in pregnancy so I eat high fiber foods. Here is a list of foods that have high fiber mostly listed by most fiber to smallest amount; avocados, artichokes, lentils, prunes, oatmeal, most fruits but not bananas. I would add those into your daily foods.

waterisntsomething 10-02-2012 04:42 PM

Good advice so far but if you are already backed up try a cup of coffee to get things moving. Even decaf works for me. Then once you get things moving fiber fiber fiber! I ended up with an ( tmi) anal fissure postpartum and it was seriously more painful than pushing out DS. I had to put orajel down there for weeks when I had a bm.

luvsgreen 10-02-2012 04:45 PM

Cocoanut milk and pineapple juice mixed. It is a natural laxative on an empty stomach. And lots of vit C. GL