Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   I thought it was my diapers but it wasn't (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449603)

oldmomma 10-02-2012 08:19 AM

I thought it was my diapers but it wasn't

My 12 month old was suffering with a Beyond awful rash for a month
The doctor and I thought it was yeast, we thought bacterial. I stripped, I boiled, I cloroxed, I added more detergent, I added less, I changed detergent, I tried CJ's for yeast. I tried coconut oil. Nothing changed. I tried sposis and a veterinary spray called Vetrycin (which worked a little). So finally, I found out we had a milk allergy.

So my whole point. Check into allergies. It may not be your wash routine.

However, I did find out that when i do a double wash in my TL washer that the water completely drains out and the manufacturer suggests to increase your detergent. Which I did and it has made a huge difference. In freshness.

lauralita 10-04-2012 11:32 PM

Re: I thought it was my diapers but it wasn't

Oh my goodness, that's exactly what we are thinking right now with our son. He's had this rash that won't go away, and he ends up getting open wounds, no matter how often I change him. Our oldest has lactose sensitivities, as does my husband and my mom. I was debating on making the switch to lactose-free, but seeing this, I'm definitely doing it. It can't hurt to try. Thank you!

armywife21 10-04-2012 11:35 PM

We went through this with my daughter too. It really suscks not knowing whats wrong and sometimes drs really don thave a clue either. :(

tmrobinson 10-05-2012 12:51 PM

My youngest seems to have some kind of dairy sensitivity. She is on sensitive formula because she spit up and had a lot of gas when she was born and this helped. Actually my older two were on it for awhile too so it wasn't a surprise when she needed it too. She is 7.5 months and I was slowly starting to switch her to the regular formula which I did with my older two at the same age with no problem. I do it gradually over a month so it's not a drastic change. I noticed right away with the baby that she was having a lot more dirty diapers and she had bleeding sores instantly, even if I changed her within a minute of her going. I went back to only the sensitive formula and she is fine. The part that gets me is that she eats yogurt almost every day and that doesn't bother her at all.

thtr4me 10-05-2012 01:37 PM

We had a similar rash with DS1, turned out to be a stubborn case of thrush.

MotherMoonPads 10-05-2012 04:00 PM

We did the same thing with our youngest. Man, I tried EVERYTHING for cloth diapers. Found out at 6 months she was allergic to milk and eggs (she was getting it through my milk) :(

oldmomma 10-08-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmrobinson (Post 15774399)
The part that gets me is that she eats yogurt almost every day and that doesn't bother her at all.

I was talking with another momma at my church and her children have horrible allergies but when they eat cooked milk (which is what you do to make yogurt) they are okay. I thought mine could eat yogurt too but still the rash.

I really should stop the milk products since I still breastfeed but the rash is 99.99% better. I just can't give up the cheese, ice cream, yogurt.

I am glad to know others are finding out it is not just their diapers causing the rashes.