Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Your favorite CD-safe diaper ointment? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449605)

MamaApril 10-02-2012 08:21 AM

Your favorite CD-safe diaper ointment?

My kids have a tendency toward red bottoms. Sometimes food related, sometimes unknown. I use diaper ointments a lot, but my favorite ones are not CD-safe since they contain zinc oxide. We often need the heavy duty ointments. I can cut up old tshirts to use during the worst rashes with my non-safe ointments and toss the liners, but I also want to buy some CD safe ointments.

I've used Weleda and California Baby in the past, ages ago. I'm looking to order from Vitacost, as I have other stuff I need to get also. I looked at the list of ointments in the big thread at the top of this forum, but not all have comments on whether they're diaper safe or not.

We use a variety of diapers from prefolds, flats, cotton terry, to fleece-lined pocket diapers. Usually if we get a bad rash, I resort to disposables and my desitin or Boudreaux Butt Paste. Trying to avoid that as much as possible. I have used Boudreax lightly in cloth before, though.

This is what Vitacost has ... how safe are these? Any your favorite go-tos for cloth diapers and really bad rashes?

*A & D ointment, A&D Cream
*Avalon Organics Baby Soothing Zinc Diaper Balm
*Aveeno diaper ointment and Aveeno Organic diaper ointment
*Badger Organic Baby Balm Chamomile and Calendula
*Baby Bee Diaper Ointment and Multipurpose Ointment
*Babyganics Healin Groovy Protective Ointment and also Hiney Helper cream
*Boudreaux's Butt Paste
*canus Lil Goats Zinc Oxide Ointment
*California Baby Diaper Rash Cream, calendula cream, powder
*Earth Mama Angel Baby Bottom Balm
*Earth Friendly Diaper Cream
*Earth's Best Organic ointment
*Hugo Naturals Diaper Cream Shea
*Life-Flo Mababa™ Baby Diaper Cream Fragrance Free
*Nature's Baby Organic Diaper Cream
*seventh Generation Diaper Cream
*Weleda Diaper Care Cream/Calendula Baby Cream (depends on wash routine...)

The big mega list said Weleda depends on your wash routine. In what way? I'm guessing the Calendula is easier to get out than the diaper care cream.

armywife21 10-02-2012 08:45 AM

Re: Your favorite CD-safe diaper ointment?

The rash creams we like are grandma els and cj's I've never tried the ones on your list

rkw 10-02-2012 08:46 AM

There are a lot of options. I have used several that are not cd safe that have washed out. Lanolin works fairly well. My favorite so far and not sure if it is cd safe is anti-monkey butt powder. The cream works well for redness but not like the powder. I use fleece liners in all of our diapers. Just about anything comes of our flats and prefolds, but the pockets sometimes hold a stain for a few washes but most of it comes out without any repelling.

MamaApril 10-02-2012 09:03 AM

Where do you get Grandma El's and CJ's? Never heard of them until I read the big list posted here.

Lanolin seems like it would be hard to spread ... well, at least lansinoh is usually pretty stiff when I use it on me.

I've seen anti-monkey butt at Walmart. I can try it. I do have some fleece liners but don't use them regularly. I can use them when needed, though, for rashes.

eschillo 10-02-2012 09:20 AM

CJ's for sure...it's the go-to safe diaper cream! They have several different options available, a stick, tube or jar, and TONS of yummy scents!!!

most all CD retailers sell CJ's, including us, link is in sig :)

My favorite scents are blueberry crumble, madagascar and viva la juicy!

Diaper Safari 10-02-2012 10:54 AM

I personally love LuSa Organics Booty Balm. Such a pleasant scent and so light!

Holly dolly 10-02-2012 11:00 AM

I have only used CJ's...I really do love it! Ginger Lime is my favorite scent!

minneapolisite 10-02-2012 11:02 AM

I love CJ's. I don't think I've ever purchased any. I have gotten free samples when I've ordered from kissedbythemoon.com and a tiny bit goes a loooong way for my son. (We haven't had any real rashes yet, so I just used a tiny bit after a poop.)

OneDayAtATime 10-02-2012 11:08 AM

Definitely CJs. It's awesome, plus it comes in so many great scents.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

McDMom 10-02-2012 02:02 PM

CJs smells good but I have had better luck with Grovia Magic Stick and even better luck with plain ol coconut oil (it's messier to apply though).