Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Cow's milk protein allergy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449701)

MandaMommy2 10-02-2012 12:29 PM

Cow's milk protein allergy

My daughter is allergic to cow's milk protein so for the past 4 weeks I've been dairy free and she's been doing much better. I've also cut way down on soy. The problem is that I'm getting so bored with my food options and I'm hungry. I used to snack on lowfat yogurt, cottage cheese, dark chocolate etc. and now it's all off limits so I just don't know what to eat. I already eat alot of fresh fruits and vegetables so I fnd myself filling my belly with milk free bread and peanut butter because I'm so hungry. I love breastfeeding my daughter. I don't want to give it up because I want to eat dairy, but I need more food choices that are quick and easy to prepare. I normally love to cook, but with a fve week old baby I just don't have the tme. Does anyone have some good family friendly milk free recipe ideas? Thank you.

l_Kimmie_l 10-02-2012 02:58 PM

Re: Cow's milk protein allergy

Trail mixes, carrots with dip, dairy free cookies, dairy free treats, and goat's cheese might work for you. I had this issue with DS3 and this is some of what I ate. Oh, that and popcorn with dairy free shake on it. I shopped at whole foods then due to his allergy. They had the largest selection of dairy free items for cheap. Regular grocery stores charge more as they are not considered normal like they are at whole foods.

Connor 10-02-2012 06:31 PM

Enjoy life and giradelhi (sp?) chocolate chips are dairy free. :) It's really easy to make dairy free food and desserts. You can sub milk for rice or almond milk and butter for oil, or earth balance dairy free "butter."

issybissy 10-02-2012 07:08 PM

Cnsider yourself lucky.while. Using for two years, I was off of eggs, milk, nuts, and soy.
Yep, lived off of chicken, rice, and fruits.
And I lost a lot of weight
But I did it bc imagining her live a life free of all those things...then surely I could have just it for just a couple of years.
Good luck.
There are plenty resources out there. Try mixing cake mix with a can of pumpkin purée. Mix and bake into cupcakes. Deliciously moist, no milk, eggs, water, or oil necessary.

jiniphur 10-02-2012 08:48 PM

My dd is intolerant of wheat and dairy and I feel like Iam starving all the time as :( I eat a lot of gluten free waffles with peanut butter on them when things get crazy. I think I would rather change my diet then wash bottles (yuck) or pay for formula!!

mommy24babes 10-02-2012 10:43 PM

It does get easier and you don't feel like your starving all the time after a while.
We are off dairy, soy, oats, beef, and nuts.

I used to make banana blueberry bread. 2 loaves at a time.

Dairy free cake mix mashed bananas and blueberries. With a new baby it was my go to quick snack when I felt starving.

Cook a whole turkey and freeze portions enough for quick sandwiches. Big batches of rice easy to add turkey, broth and veggies into.

Stirfry is pretty quick.

You will adapt and get used to it.
Good luck.

Spaghetti with ground pork sausage meat instead of ground beef.

marliah 10-03-2012 12:43 AM

:hugs:

We are off dairy, soy, wheat (gluten), oats, eggs, bananas (latex cross sensitivity), potato, tomato, citrus fruit, chocolate, peanuts, cashews.....Thers more but I have an easier time listing what we can eat.

I am pretty much eating rice, meat, some fruits and some veggies. It can be tough, but my babies (my 2 year old still nurses) are so much healthier for it. This too shall pass and I want them to get the best start possible.

I sometimes do smoothies with almond milk and pea protein, also eating good amounts of protein will help you feel full. sometimes I will just make a pound of ground beef crumbled up and eat a bowl full :)

Miss squish 10-03-2012 07:32 AM

We are off dairy, beef, limited soy, nothing acidic (tomatoes, some fruits). Luckily I can still eat nuts so far.

I agree with a pp about shopping at a co op, whole foods, or similar natural food store if you can make it to one. So many more options.

I've been eating roasted salted nuts, peanut butter, coconut milk yogurt with granola, prepackages granola or protein bars, fruits, crackers or carrots and hummus during the day. I've been making extra at dinner to have a leftover container to quickly eat during the day. Also making substitutions during dinner to get more fiber/proteins/fats so I'm less hungry. Always ww pasta, brown rice, sweet potatoes, things like that.

Great subs for cooking are coconut and sunflower oils, almond, rice, or soy milk, olive oil margarine, applesauce, chicken or veggie stock, mashed pumpkin. I've realized that it's okay to cook most of the things we were cooking before with changing up some ingredients.

MandaMommy2 10-03-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Connor (Post 15761282)
Enjoy life and giradelhi (sp?) chocolate chips are dairy free. :) It's really easy to make dairy free food and desserts. You can sub milk for rice or almond milk and butter for oil, or earth balance dairy free "butter."

I'm so excited about the chocolate chips!!! I'm going to buy some today:) Thank you.

MandaMommy2 10-03-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommy24babes (Post 15762251)
It does get easier and you don't feel like your starving all the time after a while.
We are off dairy, soy, oats, beef, and nuts.

I used to make banana blueberry bread. 2 loaves at a time.

Dairy free cake mix mashed bananas and blueberries. With a new baby it was my go to quick snack when I felt starving.

Cook a whole turkey and freeze portions enough for quick sandwiches. Big batches of rice easy to add turkey, broth and veggies into.

Stirfry is pretty quick.

You will adapt and get used to it.
Good luck.

Spaghetti with ground pork sausage meat instead of ground beef.

Do you know any brands of dairy free cake mix? My son's birthday is Sunday and I'm trying to find a way to participate in the cake eating:) Thanks.