Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Extra Fluffy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Yarn help (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449716)

Nicolenutt 10-02-2012 02:21 PM

Yarn help

Hey mamas. I'm thinking I'm going to make Henri a romper or gown (haven't decided which) for his baptism. I'm looking for a silk/wool blend in natural, white or pearl. I found this http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/knitti...specPCVID=8756

Has anyone ever used it? Does anyone have a better suggestion? I'm not really sure where to look :giggle:
TIA :goodvibes:

jenndoxx 10-02-2012 03:16 PM

Re: Yarn help

I've always wanted to try that yarn but it is so $$$. That makes me think of another yarn that I have seenthis yarn. OK, so I have been On the Wagon as far as yarn-buying goes for the last few years, but she sends (used to, at least, it's been 3-4 yrs since I have bought yarn from her) tons of samples and color cards for the yarn lines she carries. Anyway, she sent me a sample of that white silk and it was absolutely beautiful. But it's not a blend, it's all silk. It's quite a bit cheaper, though. $27.50 for 326y.

I have used this although it is a DK weight - which she also sells and it is a great silk/wool blend and just slightly less expensive than the Lorna's Laces. It is plied, though, which is different than the LL.

Nicolenutt 10-02-2012 04:43 PM

Thanks mama. I'll check those out after I get the munchkins to bed. It is $$$ but it's for his baptism, and buying him a gown or suit is going to be costly too. At least that's what I'm telling myself lol.

HGrace 10-02-2012 10:21 PM

Another choice that might be a little cheaper would be malabrigo silky, it comes in natural and is quite soft :) It's a 50/50 silk/merino blend. Good luck finding the right yarn! I hope you'll share the finished product when you're done knitting it up! :goodvibes:

jenndoxx 10-02-2012 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicolenutt (Post 15760677)
Thanks mama. I'll check those out after I get the munchkins to bed. It is $$$ but it's for his baptism, and buying him a gown or suit is going to be costly too. At least that's what I'm telling myself lol.

Oh I wasn't implying that it was too expensive for your project! I think it would be great for it! :blush: I just clicked on it and the photo of the white LL made me think of that white silk I posted above and I noticed it is more yards/less money. I was not trying to imply that the Lornas was too expensive. I think that yarn is gorgeous - I just haven't used it myself. I think a knitted baptism gown made out of a silk blend sounds beautiful.

Nicolenutt 10-03-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HGrace
Another choice that might be a little cheaper would be malabrigo silky, it comes in natural and is quite soft :) It's a 50/50 silk/merino blend. Good luck finding the right yarn! I hope you'll share the finished product when you're done knitting it up! :goodvibes:

Thanks mama, I'll definitely share the finished project if there ever is one lol. I have to tell you that I always giggle when I read your siggy, I read it wrong..... My brain always thinks why is she trying to trade art for other ppl's pets and kids lol, and then I'm like no no no that's not what it says ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenndoxx

Oh I wasn't implying that it was too expensive for your project! I think it would be great for it! :blush: I just clicked on it and the photo of the white LL made me think of that white silk I posted above and I noticed it is more yards/less money. I was not trying to imply that the Lornas was too expensive. I think that yarn is gorgeous - I just haven't used it myself. I think a knitted baptism gown made out of a silk blend sounds beautiful.

Mama I didn't take it that way at all! I AM justifying it to myself lol. I really appreciate the suggestions. It's nice to have choices.

HGrace 10-03-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicolenutt (Post 15762824)
Thanks mama, I'll definitely share the finished project if there ever is one lol. I have to tell you that I always giggle when I read your siggy, I read it wrong..... My brain always thinks why is she trying to trade art for other ppl's pets and kids lol, and then I'm like no no no that's not what it says ;)

:roflmbo: That is so awesome! I can totally see how you could skim over it and it would come out that way! But no, I am definitely not bartering for people's children and pets ;) (I have enough of my own, haha!)

Nicolenutt 10-04-2012 08:33 AM

Ok I bit the bullet and ordered the lorna's laces. I found it here http://yarn-store.com/ for under $26 a skein, so I didn't have anymore excuses! Hopefully it makes it over the border swiftly :)

EmpressPurl 10-04-2012 11:07 AM

Lorna's Laces will make a lovely baptismal gown or romper. :thumbsup: