Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Foods on the no-no list during pregnancy. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449752)

leyash 10-02-2012 02:29 PM

Foods on the no-no list during pregnancy.

I know raw sandwich meat, fish, and any kind of raw meat, as well as soft cheeses (unpasteurized) are on the list of foods not to eat.

What else?

twinpossible 10-02-2012 03:19 PM

Re: Foods on the no-no list during pregnancy.

Limited "big" fish like tuna or bottom feeders like crab. Okay in small quantities. Salmon and cod are always okay. Some mamas and docs say no peanuts because you might pass on a food allergy to peanuts but I think that is bonkers and eat them anyway. No raw eggs. That's all I can think of right now!

joeslittlewoman 10-02-2012 03:23 PM

Going off memory from DS1...Caesar dressing (though, I still have it), shark, eel, sushi with raw seafood, large amounts of tuna, artificial sweeteners, energy drinks, large amounts of caffeine, and the list goes on.

The only part that really applies to my taste in food is Caesar dressing and hotdogs, which for some reason I LOVE while pregnant. Most the seafood I like is safe. I hate artificial sweeteners and cold sandwiches.

Now I want Red Lobster...

Fishie Kisses 10-02-2012 03:23 PM

the only thing I avoid completely is alcohol and RAW fish. I still get my sushi on and scarf down the rolls, but it's the cooked stuff. Lunch meat is fine in moderation, hot dogs in moderation. My doctors (multiple) have always told me everything is fine in moderation

2+2macht4 10-02-2012 03:30 PM

I think in part it is also cultural at the hospital here even in the maternity wards they serve cold cust including salami as well as frischkase (fresh cheese). Only thing I avoid is rare meats, which I dont eat anyway. And less caffine. Otherwise my diet does not change.

tmwmommy 10-02-2012 03:41 PM

I don't really change my diet at all. I never eat unpasteurized cheeses or sushi. I don't worry about lunch meat or hot dogs though I rarely eat them even when not pregnant.

leyash 10-02-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishie Kisses (Post 15760620)
the only thing I avoid completely is alcohol and RAW fish. I still get my sushi on and scarf down the rolls, but it's the cooked stuff. Lunch meat is fine in moderation, hot dogs in moderation. My doctors (multiple) have always told me everything is fine in moderation

i didn't even think it was the amount that was a big deal. i thought it was the RAW that was a big deal, because it can carry diseases (with the sandwich meat and hot dogs).

I hate a hot dog the other night... ergh, lol. I heated it up in the microwave until it almost exploded, though... lol.

songbird516 10-02-2012 04:36 PM

I don't change my diet at all, since I generally eat meat that is as safe as possible (raw or cooked), because I buy local and organic whenever possible. I don't eat sandwich meat anyway, but I do have RAW sushi, raw milk, raw cheese...whenever I want it. I only buy from reputable sources, so I have confidence that it is safe, pregnant or not. There is a lot of fear surrounding food during pregnancy, but I think that as long as you are eating everything in moderation (including caffeine and alcohol, meaning 1 drink a day or so), then there is no real risk to the baby. I think that it's more risky to take a bunch of potentially very nutritious foods (ie. sushi) out of the diet.

leyash 10-02-2012 04:51 PM

Do people really drink alcohol during pregnancy? I can imagine 4oz of red wine or something, but something besides that... there's no way I'm doing that during pregnancy.

JennTheMomma 10-02-2012 05:02 PM

I don't change my diet. Everything in moderation and prepared safely (even when not pregnant).