Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Dryer Balls Questions (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449797)

Goldcountry-cloth 10-02-2012 04:36 PM

Dryer Balls Questions

I am looking into getting some dryer balls. We have a really old dryer, and it takes 70-90 minutes to dry a regular load of laundry. I have heard that some dryer balls leave stains on clothes? They seem kind of pricey, where do you buy them? Do they actually save time and money? I wouldn't be using them for diapers because we dry outside. Thank you!

lynn97 10-02-2012 04:45 PM

My dryer balls have never stained or hurt anything. They certainly help with dry time too, as does adding a clean, dry bath towel (we have several old, ratty ones that I use for this occasionally). I bought my dryer balls off of etsy from a seller called cleanspyria. I have been using mine for about 18 months and they're great.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

McDMom 10-02-2012 05:15 PM

I use four dryers balls and love them. I bought Wooly Rounds but have heard good things about Buddha Bunz and Redhead & Blue. I got a set from Amazon and they were junk so I stick to WAHMs.
They don't reduce static as much as dryer sheets but do reduce drying time and have more than paid for themselves. I've been using them for over a year.

Mommy0912 10-02-2012 06:26 PM

I personally don't see an improvement in drying time and I have 12 which I have had for a few months. 6 I made and 6 from clean spyria? On etsy. One if the ones I purchased from her is breaking down... Not sure why. I do like them for not needing to have dryer sheets though

FluffyButtPattysMom 10-03-2012 06:58 AM

Re: Dryer Balls Questions

I have 4 wool ones and 4 plastic ones, I don't think they help much with drying time (maybe a tad) but I do think they help soften the diapers after being lined dried. I will throw all my diapers in the dryer on cool air after being on the lines and they really soften them nicely.

lady longs 10-03-2012 08:43 AM

I agree that they don't seem to help with reducing dryer time for us. But, they do reduce static and keep clothes soft without using fabric softener or dryer sheets. So, I consider them a great blessing for us and will continue to use them.

2002rulz 10-03-2012 08:50 AM

I have seen that they help to reduce static. I have 12 wool dryer balls that I bought on Etsy just recently and I really like them! I'm thinking of getting more for the laundry geeks in my family for Christmas.

Have you had your dryer vents cleaned professionally recently? Not only is it good for your safety but it can definitely cut down on the time it takes to dry clothes. We recently had this done and I definitely see an improvement. :)

Art mama 10-03-2012 08:54 AM

I made some myself and started with 9, down to 4....the dog keeps eating them! I love mine and I think they help dry faster.

LauraSue42 10-03-2012 10:22 AM

My son has really sensitive skin, so we switched to dryer balls from dryer sheets a few years ago. I really like them. They do seem to cut drying time a bit, and they keep the clothes softer and reduce the static. They can seem pretty expensive though, so I would recommend making them. They're easy to do just google making wool dryer balls. If you don't have extra wool yarn around, you can get some on sale at a craft store and it'll be a lot cheaper than buying some.

rebekkahm 10-03-2012 10:43 AM

We had some of the plastic ones and they put holes in our clothes so I threw them out :(