Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Talk to me about being Gluten free... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449798)

sami_fran 10-02-2012 04:40 PM

Talk to me about being Gluten free...

I'm starting to think I have a Gluten intolerance, so I wanna start to getting away from eating it...

Any tips in the best place to start....

Any advice?!?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

meeshkasheeba 10-02-2012 06:01 PM

Re: Talk to me about being Gluten free...

Go cold turkey. Trying to do it a little at a time is pointless. I still have wheat cravings a lot even though I know that it will make me sick. I want it anyway.

I buy many dry goods on amazon because it is cheaper. I have also found that it is very hard to go out to eat because people are incompetent and they cross contaminate things. Outback Steak House is great, so is PF Changs. Wendy's is the only fast food I can eat. Soy needs to be tamari.

Most of the GF flours are higher in calories so you can't eat as much. Some things greatly suck. Noodles are a hard one because many of the rice noodles just turn to mush if you want more than aldente. I like the quinoa noodles. We use a lot of rice or potatoes for sides. Family is very frustrating because they want to be helpful, but they generally aren't careful either.

I'm sorry that is a lot of rambling but I think it covers how I feel today. Most days it is not too bad but it is the state fair and I didn't get to eat a thing!

HillbillyMama 10-03-2012 01:45 PM

It ain't cheap!! LOL!!! I buy my flours in bulk and make almost everythng homemade, or I use coupons for stuff I can't make....Mambo Sprouts usually has coupons for gf stuff, and if you have a Facebook, you can find sites that have great recipes,tips, etc...on there :)

rumblepurr 10-03-2012 01:59 PM

We really like Pamela's gluten free flours. You can make breads and pancakes ect. to satisfy your bread cravings. Tinkyada, pasta joy spaghetti for noodles that aren't to bad. Mostly we just avoid the flours and noodles because they are $$. We use a lot of rice, popcorn, quinoa, and oats instead of breads. A lot of oats are not gluten free because they are made in the same facility as wheat, so make sure they are not contaminated. I know Bob's Red Mill is good.
I'm still looking for a good cracker.
It can take several months to feel better, although some people feel better right away. I felt better after about 2 weeks and my son stopped throwing up right away. I had really strong bread cravings in the beginning and now I don't.

dressagemom 10-03-2012 08:05 PM

I agree with PP: go cold turkey. It will be hard at first, but much easier for you than trying to wean off wheat. There may be some recipes that you can successfully translate to GF, but some you may just have to find another, GF, version. Some you may just have to say goodbye to.

I suggest you make a list of everything you can eat, make a menu of recipes and meals that will work in your new diet, and go shopping. Get rid of everything that contains gluten so it isn't even an option. Get as many things as you can so that your transition is as easy as possible. There may be things that you can learn to make yourself, but initially, it may be easier, if you can afford it, to purchase pre-made items.

Be prepared to bring your own food with you to many social functions. Although GF is definitely more common now than even a couple of years ago, it is not well-understood by many people. Potlucks, family dinners, etc. are all rife with well-meaning people who may not truly understand what it means to prepare GF food.

Become an obsessive label-reader. Gluten hides in many places, which can be very frustrating.

I hope that you are able to find health on your journey. Good luck!

CMamma 10-04-2012 02:02 PM

Go cold turkey. We are gluten, dairy, soy, corn, potato & sugar free here (yikes that's a lot). It's def not cheap as PPers mentioned. I do buy as much as I can in bulk online b/c it's a much cheaper option. I also make everything here myself. GF stuff is getting easier and easier to find BUT be aware it can be listed under other names besides just gluten/wheat.

delicatefade 10-04-2012 02:06 PM

Oh my word, CMamma... what do you cook/eat?

CMamma 10-04-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delicatefade (Post 15769828)
Oh my word, CMamma... what do you cook/eat?

LOL :) Basically nothing that's in a package/on the inside of the grocery store isles. I buy lots online & in bulk, we raise nearly all our own meat & grow what we can here. I make everything from scratch, even things like salad dressing, nut butters, etc by looking at ingredients/recipes & subbing things I can use to create the same things everyone else eats but without the allergens.

Lots of produce, meat/proteins, nuts, beans, grainlike things like buckwheat, almond/pecan/other nut meals/flours... honestly, we eat a TON of variety. More than we ever did before having to change to this diet. It's amazing how many other options are out there that I never knew about before. Nearly everything in the store seems to have one, some, or all of those ingredients in them.

stephcrouse 10-05-2012 06:41 PM

We are gluten, soy, dairy and egg free. That wipes a whole lot of prepackaged stuff off of our menu. But, IMO that is a good thing for my waistline and wallet, that stuff is $$
We just eat whole foods. I don't try to buy or make gf breads of pizza crusts anymore, it just doesn't turn out well and the flours are super expensive. We just go without. I would suggest that approach if you are just going to do a gf trial to see if it helps your symptoms. Just stick to one ingredient items, such as fruits, veggies, lean meats (with no solutions added), potatoes, rice...gluten is in so many items that there is a pretty big learning curve to avoiding it completely. Just go easy on yourself and don't eat anything that you don't cook from scratch at home. Watch for cross contamination and also things like coffee, meds, vitamins, etc.

HillbillyMama 10-08-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephcrouse (Post 15775809)
We are gluten, soy, dairy and egg free. That wipes a whole lot of prepackaged stuff off of our menu. But, IMO that is a good thing for my waistline and wallet, that stuff is $$
We just eat whole foods. I don't try to buy or make gf breads of pizza crusts anymore, it just doesn't turn out well and the flours are super expensive. We just go without. I would suggest that approach if you are just going to do a gf trial to see if it helps your symptoms. Just stick to one ingredient items, such as fruits, veggies, lean meats (with no solutions added), potatoes, rice...gluten is in so many items that there is a pretty big learning curve to avoiding it completely. Just go easy on yourself and don't eat anything that you don't cook from scratch at home. Watch for cross contamination and also things like coffee, meds, vitamins, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMamma (Post 15770030)
LOL :) Basically nothing that's in a package/on the inside of the grocery store isles. I buy lots online & in bulk, we raise nearly all our own meat & grow what we can here. I make everything from scratch, even things like salad dressing, nut butters, etc by looking at ingredients/recipes & subbing things I can use to create the same things everyone else eats but without the allergens.

Lots of produce, meat/proteins, nuts, beans, grainlike things like buckwheat, almond/pecan/other nut meals/flours... honestly, we eat a TON of variety. More than we ever did before having to change to this diet. It's amazing how many other options are out there that I never knew about before. Nearly everything in the store seems to have one, some, or all of those ingredients in them.

Would y'all mind sharing meal plans?? :)