Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Babywearing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   help choosing carrier for small newborn (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449802)

Branwen 10-02-2012 04:53 PM

help choosing carrier for small newborn

With my first son I tried the Bjorn and Hotsling. I was uncomfortable and so was DS1. DS2 is 6lbs 10oz and I want to keep him secure while chasing his active 3 yr old brother around. Has anyone tried babynest? Also looking at Moby (a little intimidated), infantino Mei Tai and Chicco ultrasoft. I want good support for my newborn. Let me know what you think?

~Branwen

Darkfyre 10-02-2012 05:57 PM

Re: help choosing carrier for small newborn

I loved my wrap with my little guy. I have a Sleepy, but it is the same thing, and started using it when DS was 5lbs. It is very comfy and secure. We still use it around the house and for short trips at 15lbs. I know it seems complicated but the basic wrap is easy to learn.

dncnshu00 10-02-2012 07:51 PM

My DD was only 5lbs. 13oz. at birth and I have been using a sleepy wrap since we came home from the hospital. All the fabric was intimidating at first but it didn't take me very long to get the hang of it. It's similar to a Moby but the fabric is stretchier making it easier to get it tight enough but not too tight. I seriously LOVE this thing!

dncnshu00 10-02-2012 07:52 PM

I should add that the sleepy wrap brand is now known as a boba wrap. Same thing...different. name.

janellenowitzke 10-03-2012 06:42 PM

I use a Moby Wrap with my newborn, but I didn't like their cradle hold. I couldn't get my newborn to not look cramped in it. I liked the Kangaroo Hug Hold with it. I don't care for using my ergobaby with the infant insert with a little one. But I love my ergobaby for once the baby is a couple months old and for my toddler.

Kdevaul719 10-03-2012 07:05 PM

I do love wrapping and used a moby and then a woven wrap myself. But if you are intimidated by yards of fabric maybe try a woven conversion ring sling. Sleeping Baby Productions makes and sells them through paxbaby.com. They are a little pricey but totally worth it because they are good newborn through 2 years or more. I still use one for easy in and out with my 28lb 21 mo. The woven material is ultra supportive and they are beautifully hand woven. You can wear the baby right in front and eventually when they get older on the hip. I also recommend the Beco Gemini or Tula for buckled carriers. They are way more comfortable than what your experience with the bjorn was adn better for the baby ergonomically. They have a more supportive waist belt and cushier straps too. I think you can use the gemini at 8-35 lbs but don't quote me on that. You can find these on paxbaby.com as well. Most of the carriers sold in stores like Babies r us and target are not going to be very comfortable. Try looking at baby carrier sites like PAXbaby or ask here cuz they are super knowledgable and actually have experience babywearing. If you invest in a good carrier you will use it longer and be happier with it in the end.

Hobie 10-04-2012 11:03 AM

Wrapping is the best!

erv0207 10-04-2012 11:36 AM

I love the moby wrap for newborns, and then once they get a bit bigger you can get the Ergo with the insert - love them both!

itiswhatitis1984 10-04-2012 12:06 PM

I had a moby & sold it (while I was preg) because i didn't like the wrapping part. I wanted something easy to use out in public. Also I got really hot in the moby. Meanwhile I purchased a ring sling from sleeping baby productions & LOVE it! Once I got it I realized as much as everyone raves about the moby it's just not for me. I used the ring sling with my friends baby (6 weeks old) and he was fussy but once he was in there everything was ok!

Do you have a buy buy baby near you? They have a moby on display that you could try. I'd recommend doing that before you spent money on something and realized afterwards it wasn't right for you. Some people love wraps and others don't. Until you try you won't know which you are :)

ma_grizz 10-04-2012 06:56 PM

i agree with the ring sling suggestion! i just posted this on another thread but a ring sling was immediately helpful when i had my daughter earlier this year. we still love a ring sling best for bopping around the house and the neighborhood.