Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Moving on after Co-sleeping (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449872)

starrlight97 10-02-2012 10:37 PM

Moving on after Co-sleeping

We're getting ready to have our second baby in a month to a month and a half. We still have our 26 month old in our bed, and DH wants him out before new baby joins us. I don't know what to do. He doesn't sleep well without me right there. I don't want to do anything drastic like CIO, so I need new ideas. Please help! Thanks.

palsmama 10-02-2012 10:40 PM

Re: Moving on after Co-sleeping

Do you have room to put a twin bed next to your bed. I'm due with my second any day and about a month ago we put our 33 month old in his big boy bed next to our king. It's been a great transition. No tears or anything. He is still close but has his own space :)

doodah 10-03-2012 09:03 AM

yeah this is a very bad time for this transition, not going to lie. your best bet is to keep him in the room for now and transition to his own bed but still in your room. Is he night weaned? If not, then I would do night weaning as the first transition THEN move to his own bed. Its not going to be easy and its not fair to expect your child to happily move from one thing he has done for over two years to another thing especially when the baby will be moving in. He might go easy...but probably not. If you are not open to CIO, then you really have to be really really patient.....it could take months of doing the same thing over and over for him to accept it. good luck!

snoggle 10-03-2012 09:08 AM

My parents always kept a crib mattress under their bed and would pull it out if one of us was sick or something. If you don't have room for a full bed in your room, you could even have a mattress on the floor for him to transition to and keep it under your bed during the day.

Also, I haven't read it (I'm still preggo with my first), but I've heard the book, "The No Cry Sleep Solution" is great. There's even a version for toddlers.

ChelseaGirl7 10-03-2012 03:17 PM

We have a crib matress next to our bed. The toddler starts the night on the crib matress (you can even lay down with them), if they wake up at night for the first week or so you can bring them into your bed. After they get used to that, you can try to get them back to sleep on the matress if they wake up.

Chelsea mom of 4, from my phone

GEM Cloth 10-03-2012 05:50 PM

Just me personally, I wouldn't do or say anything about it, just keep doing things like I've been doing them and what works. In my house anyway not forcing things or doing anything about some things lets the right solution happen.