Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   If you have bunks do you love/hate them? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449905)

clothlover8 10-03-2012 02:02 AM

If you have bunks do you love/hate them?

Currently we have a room (it's the worst room in the house in terms of minimalism) it has a double bed and 2 single beds, no floor space. I am considering bunks to free up some floorspace possibly the type with the double bed on the bottom and single at top. Would love some feedback from anyone that has them:goodvibes:

Dawndelion 10-03-2012 07:18 AM

Re: If you have bunks do you love/hate them?

For the most part, I love our bunk beds. We have twin over twin in the boys' room, and it opens up a lot of floor space. The only downfall is, its a PITA to make them, especially the top bunk.

Punkin 10-03-2012 07:55 AM

Its a neessity for us. It works...but I bash my head off th top bunk while making up beds or giving goodnight kisses on a regular basis.

KiltedKingdom 10-03-2012 09:16 AM

We have bunkbeds in the kids room that we LOVE. DH built them. They're so solid and sturdy! I make the kids make the beds so I don't have to :giggle2:

We have a metal one in the other bedroom that my BIL sleeps in. It's the kind with the double on the bottom. It SQUEAKS really bad if the person on the top bunk moves, so I can't have any of my kids sleep in there when he's here. I want DH to build more beds so we can get rid of that one. I don't know how old it is, we got it from a friend, but it was for guests, so they didn't use it very often.

mama_to_DJM 10-03-2012 11:01 AM

My boys have had a bunk bed for almost 4 years, and I love it! We got it when they were 2 and 4, and we've never had a problem (like a big fall) with it. We got the Mydal one from Ikea.

RachelC 10-03-2012 01:12 PM

We have a bunk bed in the kids' room, and it's great for space saving. Like a PP mentioned, it is a pain to make the beds, but I consider it worth it for the amount of space that we are able to save.

solarbabies 10-03-2012 02:59 PM

If you are concerned that you may not like them someday maybe get the kind that can be single or bunk? Like we got a bunk on craigslist for $100 (including both mattresses) and it comes as 2 twins or a twin over twin bunk, however you prefer. I like that we have options with them.

moms5angels 10-03-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solarbabies (Post 15764969)
If you are concerned that you may not like them someday maybe get the kind that can be single or bunk? Like we got a bunk on craigslist for $100 (including both mattresses) and it comes as 2 twins or a twin over twin bunk, however you prefer. I like that we have options with them.

to the parts bolded i was thinking the same. that might work for u. i also have bunks beds in my boys room. we have the metall ones. i really like them except for when it comes to making the top bunk. i have a hard time getting the matress off cuz its soo tall. the day we do bedding laungry. i have DH take the matresses off the top bunk for the bunkbed & my sons matress off his loft bed. (wich is even higher! :lostit: ) i can get the matress bk on. its getting them off i have have a hard time w/. :giggle: oh, & i do a lot of :banghead: on the top bunk too :giggle2:

necomama 10-03-2012 06:04 PM

When considering bunks I kept reading that it was a pain to change the sheets and as other mamas have already said, it is a pain. I think it's worth the extra hassle though. If you anticipate wet beds use the lower bunk at first because it will get tiring having to change the mattress protector and
sheet frequently...

I had a queen in a 10x10 room and it gave us no floor space. I found an eco trundle bunk on craigslist for $200 and they even delivered it! It has a "secret hide out" which could be used for storage and the entire bunk is basically a dresser. We don't have a bottom mattress yet so the bottom trundle stores flat rate sized boxes underneath amazingly. We now have more floor space and more storage!

solarbabies 10-03-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by necomama (Post 15765937)
When considering bunks I kept reading that it was a pain to change the sheets and as other mamas have already said, it is a pain. I think it's worth the extra hassle though. If you anticipate wet beds use the lower bunk at first because it will get tiring having to change the mattress protector and
sheet frequently...

I had a queen in a 10x10 room and it gave us no floor space. I found an eco trundle bunk on craigslist for $200 and they even delivered it! It has a "secret hide out" which could be used for storage and the entire bunk is basically a dresser. We don't have a bottom mattress yet so the bottom trundle stores flat rate sized boxes underneath amazingly. We now have more floor space and more storage!

Wondering about your queen....Do you have enough room to walk beside the bed? Like with a bedside table or something? Can it be in the middle of the room or does it have to be pushed against the wall? We are trying to decide how small of a room we can have for a queen lol