Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homesteading (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   Bartering (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449914)

Geckmumto3 10-03-2012 07:09 AM

Bartering

Does anyone barter with their produce/eggs/whatever?

We have been bartering with a girl my DH works with. Her dad raises honeybees and we did jars of honey for dozens of eggs over time. Now someone at his work wants to barter garlic for squash. I guess he had a bumper crop of squash. Only my acorn did well, so I would be happy for some butternut :drif: , but I have no idea how many garlic would equal a squash or vice versa. :giggle: I think one garlic is worth more than one squash -- I mean, you can get many fruit from one squash plant. DH went on the consumption route, too. Most people (not us... LOL) would not consume an entire big bulb of garlic in a day, whereas it would be nothing to eat an entire squash with dinner. Thoughts?

raisingcropsandbabies 10-03-2012 07:57 AM

Re: Bartering

We barter our milk for produce or eggs or meat chickens (that one over time)... we have our own of those, but go through it all so fast that more is better! We also barter services.

I take into account the labor each item takes in time and involvement and what price they are going for, if bought .

How much were you thinking... garlic for squash?

Geckmumto3 10-03-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies (Post 15762815)
We barter our milk for produce or eggs or meat chickens (that one over time)... we have our own of those, but go through it all so fast that more is better! We also barter services.

I take into account the labor each item takes in time and involvement and what price they are going for, if bought .

How much were you thinking... garlic for squash?

I don't know. This is what we are trying to figure out. I mean, our garlic is relatively low effort, as is squash generally. Yield, as I said, is vastly different. Would 2-3 squash per bulb of garlic (we have big bulbs) be crazy talk?

Pixi6s 10-03-2012 08:13 AM

My husband and I can eat a whole bulb of garlic at one meal (roasted in oil) but we probably shouldn't. :)

Why don't you just ask the person you are trading with what you are thinking and see what she says. If she wants to do one for one would you say no? If you mention your reasoning for 2 or 3 to 1 see what she says. Maybe she has no issues and will give you 3 without flinching or maybe you have to barter :) Isn't that what it is all about?

Good Luck!

Geckmumto3 10-03-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixi6s (Post 15762869)
My husband and I can eat a whole bulb of garlic at one meal (roasted in oil) but we probably shouldn't. :)

Why don't you just ask the person you are trading with what you are thinking and see what she says. If she wants to do one for one would you say no? If you mention your reasoning for 2 or 3 to 1 see what she says. Maybe she has no issues and will give you 3 without flinching or maybe you have to barter :) Isn't that what it is all about?

Good Luck!

That's what DH is doing today. It is another co-worker of his. I am curious to see how it plays out.

We also will eat an entire bulb of garlic, LOL, which is why I said most people wouldn't. :giggle2: Partly that is because we have so much of it unhand.... Chopping a clove for the roast, ah... throw two in there. While you have it out would you throw a clove or two in the potatoes.. and before you know it, the bulb is gone. We also roast it and it does not last here. My kids love roasted garlic on baguette. :drif: I also say as long as everyone in the house is eating it, it doesn't matter, and garlic is good for you! :giggle2:

3lilbubs 10-03-2012 11:39 AM

We have, but since most people around us aren't farming it's usually for other things. :) I'm just starting to get enough eggs to meet our demand with some left over. I'm really bad about gifting too much though. :blush:

igotmywings 10-04-2012 01:34 PM

we barter a lot..its one of my favourite things. SO got a new hunting rifle this way...im hoping to barter for fresh eggs from one of the guys he works with..we shall see though

CMamma 10-04-2012 03:05 PM

We do occasionally. Find an amount that the items are worth & then trade based on the money value. $2 garlic = $2 of squash.

sarahannecloud9 10-05-2012 06:50 AM

We do it when we can. Have resently traded potatoes for lawnmower parts, some of momas porcelin dolls for a bunch of hens and a bator, things like that. Also services. We did Mr. Bohanans orchard cleanup all seastion for bushels of pears and apples, even cases of canning jars. Loved that deal! I trade as often as possible as we don't really have the money for extras. It's a great way to get rid of what you don't need for something you are iso. i'd say 2 good sized squash =1 clove. Garlic is pretty expensive. He would prob even do 3? I'm sure you will come to an agreement. ;)

drabekgirl 10-05-2012 04:07 PM

IDK around here I can pick a head of garlic for $1 and a butternut squash also be found for $1. So 1-1 seems fair to me. It used to be a head of garlic 2/$1...