Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Possible induction for high BP and really nervous, *UPDATE* (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449928)

HeatherlovesCDs 10-03-2012 08:08 AM

Possible induction for high BP and really nervous, *UPDATE*
 
I don't want to be induced. :cry:

Yesterday at my OB appt at 38wks 1 day, my BP was up. It was 156/88. I have a history of pregnancy induced high BP, but I've never had to go through a "real" induction because of it. I have been on bedrest, even hospital bedrest for a week in my last pregnancy.

I don't know how dilated I am already, probably about 3, maybe 4. I am contracting, but not nearly as much as with the twins. If my BP isn't better or is higher on Thursday, they are going to want to induce me. I'm very nervous about that. REALLY nervous.

I was planning my first pain-med free labor with a doula. I don't respond well to the epi's, which is only one reason for the med free, but the biggest. I REALLY, REALLY do not want it to end in a c-sec. The OB says it's highly unlikely because this is my 6th baby, but still, I know it could. And of course, there is the issue of wanting baby to come on his own when he is ready.

Any insight? Specifically about what I could do to get my body ready or a medical reason to refuse or something I could do to lower it in just a couple days? Thanks!

**update**

I went to the OB this morning and had a great appt! Even though my BP was up last night, it was down this morning at my appt. It was 136/78. :yay: My OB wasn't concerned about last nights because today's was fine and I have no other symptoms of anything. So, no more talk of induction for now. Woo Hoo!!! Also though, I was surprised and frustrated to find out I'm still only 1cm dilated! I can hardly believe it with how many contractions I have and how strong they feel and my history of early dilation. It makes me even more thankful that I don't need to be induced at this point. Of course, I'm also a little discouraged because it feels better to start labor at 3 or 4 than at 1. I know it has nothing to do with when I will go into labor, but I'd rather be more dilated, KWIM. But the most important thing right now is NO INDUCTION! :bliss:

klevmomma 10-03-2012 08:19 AM

Re: Possible induction for high BP and really nervous
 
Sorry you're dealing with this, mama :-(

No advice on the BP issues, but I did want to share part of my last birth.

I went in to my midwives' office the morning DD was born - I wasn't labor, but she wasn't moving as much as normal. I was having some contractions though. They put me on monitors and though DD was showing "bad" patterns, she wasn't showing the "reassuring" ones either.

Anyhow, long story short, basically, they wanted to induce me (I was 40+1). I sort of flipped out :-) thinking things like you - "But, I'm having a natural birth! But, what if that leads to a section?" etc, etc.

So, seeing as it wasn't an emergency, the MW let me calm down and we talked it out. I agreed to let her check me for dilation - I was already 4+ cm. She then asked if she could strip my membranes, and I let her.

That was all it took. Within 20, the contractions I'd been having were noticeably stronger and becoming regular.

So it is possible they may be able to get your labor going by stripping your membranes or breaking your water - something less "intense" than pitocin.

And even if it does come to a pitocin induction, it will be okay, mama. I have a good friend who did a pit induction with no pain meds. You can ask them to up it slowly, a little bit at a time, and once labor kicks in, back it down and see if your body will continue on its own,

I know it's hard and it's scary, mama. Sending prayers and easy labor vibes your way :-)

Van1300 10-03-2012 08:53 AM

Re: Possible induction for high BP and really nervous
 
I am currently home with high blood pressures at 32 weeks on MBR. I also have GD. I am trying to make it to 37 weeks for a repeat c-section.

I was with all the same problems the first pregnancy, but never on bed rest. I did get induced with my first about 3 days before my due date. I did stall at 3 cm and after 14 hrs, I gave in to a c-section.

I know there are a lot of mammas who want natural med free births, but the goal for all of us is healthy children. In the end it was all worth it. I wish you the best of luck, but try not to stress!!!

HeatherlovesCDs 10-03-2012 09:17 AM

Re: Possible induction for high BP and really nervous
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by klevmomma (Post 15762902)
Sorry you're dealing with this, mama :-(

No advice on the BP issues, but I did want to share part of my last birth.

I went in to my midwives' office the morning DD was born - I wasn't labor, but she wasn't moving as much as normal. I was having some contractions though. They put me on monitors and though DD was showing "bad" patterns, she wasn't showing the "reassuring" ones either.

Anyhow, long story short, basically, they wanted to induce me (I was 40+1). I sort of flipped out :-) thinking things like you - "But, I'm having a natural birth! But, what if that leads to a section?" etc, etc.

So, seeing as it wasn't an emergency, the MW let me calm down and we talked it out. I agreed to let her check me for dilation - I was already 4+ cm. She then asked if she could strip my membranes, and I let her.

That was all it took. Within 20, the contractions I'd been having were noticeably stronger and becoming regular.

So it is possible they may be able to get your labor going by stripping your membranes or breaking your water - something less "intense" than pitocin.

And even if it does come to a pitocin induction, it will be okay, mama. I have a good friend who did a pit induction with no pain meds. You can ask them to up it slowly, a little bit at a time, and once labor kicks in, back it down and see if your body will continue on its own,

I know it's hard and it's scary, mama. Sending prayers and easy labor vibes your way :-)

Thanks! I've never even heard of an OB stripping membranes. I've only heard of MW's doing it. But, I'm going to ask about it. I'm glad yours turned out well. With my last, they did break my water and that was my "induction." I was already at 5cms and contracting regularly for weeks. (Literally, I was on hospital bedrest because of it.) I didn't need anything else. I delivered 5 hrs later.

However, this time, I really don't want them to break my water because that is going to put me on a time table and if I don't deliver within their time frame after broken water, they will section me.

Thanks for telling me about your experience and how your "induction" went. I'm glad it worked out so well. I feel like my body is totally ready to go, but I'm just nervous.

canadianbakers 10-03-2012 10:42 AM

Re: Possible induction for high BP and really nervous
 
:hugs: Heather. Stressing about that likely isn't helping your bp either! Shucks.

With the threads you've posted the past few weeks, about contractions and being dilated somewhat all ready, it sounds like you're quite favorable for induction - which is a great sign that your body would react well and possibly "take over" once given a boost, kwim?
I understand you not wanting AROM because of being on their clock. Although if you're 4-5cm, I'd go for it to start with. If you aren't, or don't want to start with it, they could start with a very low dose of pitocin, up it slowly until you're having good contractions, then back it off and see if your body will continue.
I had this done with DS1 for induction. It worked really well and my body did take over. I never needed an epiduaral, either.

HeatherlovesCDs 10-03-2012 11:22 AM

Re: Possible induction for high BP and really nervous
 
Thanks Elena. I actually totally agree with everything you said. I suspect that even if they induce, I'll have no problem having a vaginal delivery because my body is ready. There is still that fear though. After having 5 kids, including 2 sets of twins (against the odds and rare) vaginally, my biggest fear is a c-sec for my last baby. (Of course, a healthy baby is more important. Not saying that.)

I see what you are saying about AROM. I'm going to have my OB check me on Thursday to see what my cervix is doing. (My 6, about to turn 7, year old had to be with me yesterday. I wanted to ask to be checked, but I just didn't feel comfortable with him there.) I'm not sure I'm going to be 5 already, but who knows, maybe I will. I'm thinking 3, maybe 4. But, it's hard to base it on my history since I have 2 sets of twins previously to compare it to.

The OB I saw yesterday was saying he would use cytotech (or however you spell that drug). He thought they could get me going without pit which is what I would prefer. He said I would still be able to move and walk around. But, we'll see what happens.

My kids are really acting up today and that is definitely not helping my BP. :(

I'm nervous, but I'm actually not stressing as much as it sounds like. I will be honest and admit that there is a big part of me that would be totally fine with letting them get this baby out. I'm ready now and I really don't want to wait much longer. :blush:

brookglen 10-03-2012 11:32 AM

Re: Possible induction for high BP and really nervous
 
I don't respond well to epidurals either.

It sounds like you have a good grip on things. As long as the OB eases you into induction it should hopefully go smoothly.

I'm still bitter about my last induced birth where my bag was broken and I was pumped full of pit. No one told me anything, gave me any options or warned me about how stressful that kind of aggressive induction would be. I was checked constantly and as a result ended up with an infection that made pushing SUCK!

My new OBs jaw dropped when she heard how agressive they were about inducing (apparently bag breaking is an endgame?). In her words, keeping an open dialogue about how fast you want to go is key.

HeatherlovesCDs 10-03-2012 12:25 PM

Re: Possible induction for high BP and really nervous
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by brookglen (Post 15763912)
I don't respond well to epidurals either.

It sounds like you have a good grip on things. As long as the OB eases you into induction it should hopefully go smoothly.

I'm still bitter about my last induced birth where my bag was broken and I was pumped full of pit. No one told me anything, gave me any options or warned me about how stressful that kind of aggressive induction would be. I was checked constantly and as a result ended up with an infection that made pushing SUCK!

My new OBs jaw dropped when she heard how agressive they were about inducing (apparently bag breaking is an endgame?). In her words, keeping an open dialogue about how fast you want to go is key.

Yes, breaking the water can be a problem because if you don't progress fast enough from there, they will just section you because they are afraid of an infection (which you experienced). They want you to deliver within 24hrs of your water being broken and some OB's want 12. If it isn't broken, in theory, you can stop at any time and if you body doesn't to keep going, you *could* go home and wait or try again another day. (Depending on the reason for the induction in the first place. Obviously, sometimes, you have to deliver, period.)

I've been very open and honest with my OB's about my desires for my labor and what I want but also letting them know that I am willing to bend if the situation arises. There are 4 OB in the practice. I prefer one over the other 3 (though I really would be fine with all 3). She has really been listening to me and wants to help me achieve the labor/deliver I want. She actually respects my opinions and the fact that I've even researched enough to have an educated opinion. The others are all fine and good too, but if I have to be induced, I'm going to ask to wait till she is on-call. :)

brookglen 10-03-2012 12:34 PM

Re: Possible induction for high BP and really nervous
 
I was being satirical. Obviously breaking the bag so early was dumb, dumb, dumb on his part. Dumb on my part was never stopping once to question it. Hindsight is 20/20, I guess.

Eta- good luck, I hope for you it's just a matter of kick starting natural labor.

HeatherlovesCDs 10-03-2012 12:41 PM

Re: Possible induction for high BP and really nervous
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by brookglen (Post 15764212)
I was being satirical. Obviously breaking the bag so early was dumb, dumb, dumb on his part. Dumb on my part was never stopping once to question it. Hindsight is 20/20, I guess.

Eta- good luck, I hope for you it's just a matter of kick starting natural labor.

Sorry. It's hard to read tone online. :blush:

Thanks!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors