Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Can someone help me answer this "birds and bees" question for my 5.5 yr old? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449936)

Kiliki 10-03-2012 07:32 AM

Can someone help me answer this "birds and bees" question for my 5.5 yr old?

I'm not sure how to answer this for her.

She asked me, "How did Daddy fertilize your egg?" :blush:

Ok, so some background - I'm pg. And my parents have lots of farm animals, including chickens. She asked some questions about chickens eggs - how come they don't turn into babies? I told her b/c there is no daddy chicken to fertilize the eggs, so the eggs won't turn into babies b/c it takes the egg from the mommy and then the daddy has to fertilize it and THEN it will grow into a baby. Hence, no rooster (daddy chicken), no babies.

Later on she asked some other questions about if mommies lay eggs like chickens. I said no, mommies have eggs INSIDE their tummies.

And now, she wants to know HOW Daddy fertilized my egg. I tried to answer in a way that kind of avoids the topic of sex.... I said "Daddy has a special thing called a sperm and he gives the sperm to Mommy to fertilize her egg." She said, "How?"

Um, someone help me please. :blush: Isn't she too young to know all the ins and outs of sex?

mommyinthesun 10-03-2012 08:21 AM

Re: Can someone help me answer this "birds and bees" question for my 5.5 yr old?

Idk, my 5.5yr old knows that the p goes in the v and that his "balls" have sperm. We said its only for adults to do. Hes never brought it up again or acted inappropriately :shrug:

If you dont want to go that route, just say he takes them out of his body and hands them to you ;)

kushie tushie 10-03-2012 08:33 AM

I dont think shes too young for the sex talk. Keep it simple but give her the facts.

If she wasnt ready for the answer she wouldnt be asking. Her brain is processing it and its trying to figure it out. I'd give her the answers shes looking for.

Amanda :). Blaming my phone for typos and crap.

Kiliki 10-03-2012 08:46 AM

Re: Can someone help me answer this "birds and bees" question for my 5.5 yr old?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommyinthesun (Post 15763217)
Idk, my 5.5yr old knows that the p goes in the v and that his "balls" have sperm. We said its only for adults to do. Hes never brought it up again or acted inappropriately :shrug:

If you dont want to go that route, just say he takes them out of his body and hands them to you ;)

I don't want to tell her that cause that's a lie. I really want to be honest and upfront about everything but I was really not expecting this question so soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kushie tushie (Post 15763268)
I dont think shes too young for the sex talk. Keep it simple but give her the facts.

If she wasnt ready for the answer she wouldnt be asking. Her brain is processing it and its trying to figure it out. I'd give her the answers shes looking for.

Amanda :). Blaming my phone for typos and crap.

yea, we normally feel that way, too. we answer what she asks. I guess if she asks again I'll just try to be matter of fact and explain it in easy-to-understand terms.

Mom2jandb 10-03-2012 09:10 AM

Yeah, my kids aren't that old yet, but I think I would just be honest. :hide:

Kiliki 10-03-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2jandb (Post 15763455)
Yeah, my kids aren't that old yet, but I think I would just be honest. :hide:

no need to hide!

I WANT to be honest. I was hoping there was another way to answer the question without going into sex. I was hoping someone could give me other suggestions of ways to answer it without going that far into it.

I was just kind of hoping this conversation would take place later... like in 3 yrs or something. :giggle: She's just too smart to let me off the hook that easy! Right?! LOL

I see now that I am trapped!

Nielsen6 10-03-2012 09:35 AM

Well, I don't know thats tough. I just told my DD (8) about the whole sex thing. At 5.5 she may not "get it" but I guess I would feel uncomforable about giving her too much info on it. Maybe tell her "Daddy gives Mommy a special present when we want to have another baby. Mommy unwraps it and then the baby grows." ???? Maybe to vague..I'm sorry. I seem to be no help really. I hope you find a way.

canadianbakers 10-03-2012 09:50 AM

I would just start talking, with simple (and correct!) terms, and then stop when she's obviously done listening - likely she'd say "okay", or zone out, start talking about something else, or even just up and walk away to play. She'll only "take in" as much as she can handle, if you don't make a big deal of it, kwim?

SaraElise 10-03-2012 09:59 AM

We raised rabbits as kids, and because we bred them, were very aware of how things worked. Maybe go that route and explain it in terms of mammal reproduction and that we are mammals too?

That way you are not lying, but you also don't have to get quite so personal talking specifically about mommy and daddy as you explain.

SaraElise 10-03-2012 09:59 AM

dp