Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Talk to Me about Living in Vermont. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449945)

MrzP427 10-03-2012 08:05 AM

I'd like to move there anywhere in the next 2-3 years and I have some questions for those mommas who live there.

I am looking for a smallish town as I am so sick of living in the City. We are a family of 5. DS is a 7 yr old first grader, DD1 is a 5 yr old Kindergartener, and DD2 is a 6.5 wk old baby. Of course they wont be these ages when we move but it kinda gives you an idea how old they will be around that time frame. We also live in PA now.

Sooo....

What small towns are recommended?

What is the COL there?

What are the Public Schools like? Regarding Education, test scores, violence?

Are there any educational and Family fun places that will not break the bank?

What Grocery stores and Pharmacies do they have? Are grocery prices higher? Will I be able to coupon and stockpile?

How hard is it to get a job there? Do jobs tend to pay well? (My DH works at Home depot but is willing to change jobs for better pay)

How necessary would it be for us to NEED 2 cars? Could we even get by with none at all?

Im considering Homeschool even though my kids love public school right now. Are there many Homeschooling Families/groups in Vernont?

These are the questions I could think of at the moment but anything else I will update the OP. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

MrzP427 10-03-2012 09:56 AM

No one?

dagmomma 10-03-2012 06:16 PM

Re: Talk to Me about Living in Vermont.

If I moved anywhere in Vermont it would have to be in or near Burlington--still city but not like cities I am used to. Or I would live in Vermont on the border of NH where Dartmouth college is.

COL in Vermont imo is pretty high. I have lived and almost lived everywhere so I do research on alot of areas.

I am sorry I can not give you living exp there but I can give you little almost lived there ideas.

Homeschooling would not be a problem there. Public schools for the most part are considered excellent though. The closer you get to universities and colleges the education, stores and activities for family tend to be better.

Family fun things we did while visiting Vermont were--concerts, farmers markets, farms, street fairs, and the Ben and Jerry's Factory which has movie nights and other summer activities.

GL with your search I hope you get more answers.

MrzP427 10-03-2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagmomma
If I moved anywhere in Vermont it would have to be in or near Burlington--still city but not like cities I am used to. Or I would live in Vermont on the border of NH where Dartmouth college is.

COL in Vermont imo is pretty high. I have lived and almost lived everywhere so I do research on alot of areas.

I am sorry I can not give you living exp there but I can give you little almost lived there ideas.

Homeschooling would not be a problem there. Public schools for the most part are considered excellent though. The closer you get to universities and colleges the education, stores and activities for family tend to be better.

Family fun things we did while visiting Vermont were--concerts, farmers markets, farms, street fairs, and the Ben and Jerry's Factory which has movie nights and other summer activities.

GL with your search I hope you get more answers.

Thanks so much. I would be looking to go to school there as well. I will be going back to school for a degree in Baking and Pastry. I was reading online about the New England Culinary Institute and then wondered if that is even a small town. I would like to visit somewhere in the near future before I actually make the move.

Frizabeans 10-03-2012 09:29 PM

I lived in Burlington but it was 10 years ago. I would LOVE to go back and live in VT. My BFF went to Dartmouth at the time I lives in VT so I spent a lot of time there too. Burlington I the littlest biggest city- meaning its the smallest out of all of the biggest cities in each state. Burton snowboards is based there. COL is pretty high. And diversity is pretty low. It is a lot of rich, educated, liberal people. Lots of local produce, free trade, organic, farms type thing.
Living in Burlington I did not have a car and did just fine. I walked and rode my bike everywhere. I lived in Stowe for a month waiting for my apt to be ready and did fine with no car there too. I believe the big grocery store chain was Safeway. I know nothing about coupon/stockpiling so you're on your own there. I know I did a lot of shopping at a co-op too.
There is tons of outdoor family stuff to do, always. VT is gorgeous. I know it used to be, and I hope still is, that no billboards were allowed on the interstates which was nice.
I hope that helps some. I think jobs may be a little harder to come by- but most places are like that now. If I had the opportunity I would move back to VT.

Frizabeans 10-03-2012 09:32 PM

I just looked- New England culinary institute is in Montpelier. That's the Capitol. It's smaller than Burlington but not tiny.

MrzP427 10-04-2012 05:23 AM

Thanks. I know nothing about Vermont other than that I saw a few pictures and fell in love. Sigh it sounds like a dream to live there but it also sounds like a very expensive dream :(

SenoraE 10-04-2012 05:11 PM

Re: Talk to Me about Living in Vermont.

Do you live in a 4 season climate now? If you're not prepared for a HARD winter, it can really surprise you!

mpink22 10-07-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrzP427
I'd like to move there anywhere in the next 2-3 years and I have some questions for those mommas who live there.

I am looking for a smallish town as I am so sick of living in the City. We are a family of 5. DS is a 7 yr old first grader, DD1 is a 5 yr old Kindergartener, and DD2 is a 6.5 wk old baby. Of course they wont be these ages when we move but it kinda gives you an idea how old they will be around that time frame. We also live in PA now.

Sooo....

What small towns are recommended? How small? Most in my area are nice.

What is the COL there?

Depends on where you live. High here IMO (but I moved from the South). The property taxes are crazy high. We rent right now and pay 1350 for a 1350 sf condo. Gas is 3.92. Our electric bill runs at most 150 and heat about 170 (in the coldest part of winter turned up to 74 degrees).

What are the Public Schools like? Regarding Education, test scores, violence?

In my area the public schools are excellent - the best in the state. People here are very involved. Violence happens everywhere but.not so often here. I left my car door wide open in downtown Burlington parked on the street for two hours and nothing was touched (and I drive an expensive car).

Are there any educational and Family fun places that will not break the bank?

There are plenty of family activities that are free, cheap, and expensive year round.

What Grocery stores and Pharmacies do they have? Are grocery prices higher? Will I be able to coupon and stockpile?

Hannaford , Shaws and Price Chopper are the chains. There are health food stores in each town in this area. Rite Aid, a couple of CVS s and Walgreens and Kinney Drugs are the pharmacies. I find that groceries are pricey but I have to eat a restrictive diet. You can coupon. Oh and Costco!

How hard is it to get a job there? Do jobs tend to pay well? (My DH works at Home depot but is willing to change jobs for better pay)

Minimum wage is 8.25. DH has a degree in Mathematics and works stocking in retail for 9$. He got that job after applying for 3 months and continued to apply for.other jobs until our new baby was born and we decided.he would work.part time so we didn't have to put.him in daycare. There is a HD here though so he could transfer while looking.

How necessary would it be for us to NEED 2 cars? Could we even get by with none at all?

If you lived in a city you could get by with one.

Im considering Homeschool even though my kids love public school right now. Are there many Homeschooling Families/groups in Vernont?

Yes.

These are the questions I could think of at the moment but anything else I will update the OP. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

If you can see my profile I live in VT in the Burlington area. We moved here a year and a half ago from Mississippi and have lived in Iowa and Louisiana. I love it here. It is very family friendly and a great place for a crunchy family. PM me if you have any other questions