Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Healthy Living and Weightloss (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Gluten? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449987)

iwiamandaiwi 10-03-2012 10:02 AM

Gluten?

Hey ladies, I think this is the right thread. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar situation as mine and it turned out to be a gluten intolerance.

Here is the situation.

I have been having brain fog for he last several months. Pregnancy brain has kicked in and made it worse, i think, but it was there before i was pregnant. I feel like I am really slow in my thinking and I forget a lot of words. It makes me feel dumb and like something is majorly wrong with me. I soemtimes get dizzy and sometimes i get this weird feeling in my arms and legs and it feels like my movements are not as easy as they should be. As you can imagine, it is very frightening. well it hit me really hard a month or so ago and hung around for at least three weeks and then pretty much disappered for a few weeks and now it is back but not so bad. also when it hits me i get really tired and even when i go to bed at night i wake up feeling just as tired. I've talked to my doctors about it and they did a ct scan and bloodwork and stuff and could not find anything wrong with me. It made me feel like i was a hypochondriac but I KNOW that I am not imagining this. I mean when it hits me its like my mind is trying to think through this thick fog, that is the perfect way to put it. it scares me and makes me feel dumb. I was talking to my sil the other day who is gluten intolerant and she was saying that if she eats gluten it makes her feel like that. she also has stomache issues from gluten which i have not noticed in myself. so i was thinking that maybe it could be what is wrong with me. i am going to try to cut gluten from my diet and see if it helps but how long do you think it owuld take to work? other things i was thinking would be that maybe it is a sinus issue or ADHD or something. It is so hard to think straight when this thing hits me and definitely hard to focus. Well anyways, I know this is not a medical forum or anything but if anyone has experienced anything similar please chime in. i am desperate for answers here. I have been to the doctors and got no answers so now when it hits i try to deal with it and not think about it but it is so hard. My biggest fears are that its a brain tumor (but i would assume they would see that on the ct scan) or its lik eearly onset alzheimers. but you know how it is when you don't know something, your fear gets the best of you and you start thinking the worst....ugh, anyways, all that to say if you have any input it would really be appreciated TIA

simplyleah87 10-03-2012 10:07 AM

I feel like that when I eat gluten, even the tiniest bit! Try cutting out gluten for at least three weeks and see if it helps :)

iwiamandaiwi 10-03-2012 10:08 AM

Re: Gluten?

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplyleah87 (Post 15763773)
I feel like that when I eat gluten, even the tiniest bit! Try cutting out gluten for at least three weeks and see if it helps :)

really? oh thank you! you have no idea how much this scares me when it happens...well maybe you do since you said it happened to you too, lol. I was looking at stuff in my pantry an wow, gluten is EVERYWHERE! This is going to be really hard.

iwiamandaiwi 10-03-2012 10:09 AM

do you mind sharing what kind of things you eat? or even if there are some substitutes out there? I really know nothing about gluten...

simplyleah87 10-03-2012 10:15 AM

The only "gluten free" thing I buy is bisquik gf pancake mix. Other than that I use things that are naturally gluten free. Eggs, meat and produce.
I recommend getting the everyday paleo cookbook, all of her recipes are gf and they're so yummy. I do all of my meal planning from that book!

iwiamandaiwi 10-03-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplyleah87 (Post 15763819)
The only "gluten free" thing I buy is bisquik gf pancake mix. Other than that I use things that are naturally gluten free. Eggs, meat and produce.
I recommend getting the everyday paleo cookbook, all of her recipes are gf and they're so yummy. I do all of my meal planning from that book!

thanks, I'll go search for it on amazon now :) My poor family is going to be mad at me for having to cut some things from our pantry. I tried to make a gluten free dinner last night though and my YDS seemed to LOVE it. He had two larg ehelpings and my older DS had a full helping as well which is unusual for him :) it was american chop suey but i had to leave out the cream of mushroom soup and the season salt...I couldn't believe that season salt had gluten in it but glad i checked lol. it didn't taste as yummy as usual but if i have to adjust my tastebuds to feel better than it would be totally worth it to get rid of this horrible feeling.

CMamma 10-04-2012 02:57 PM

I've had issues like that. I actually DID have something in my brain & had brain surgery to have it removed. I always just assumed my brain fog, etc were related to that. Then I found out I had quite a few allergies, as did my children. After a few weeks of giving up gluten (& the other things that I was allergic to), I began to feel significantly better & think more clearly. I also noticed that while my kids are still kids, their behavior has drastically improved since the changes were made for them. Their listening/follow through on directions seemed to improve. My focus, GI issues & a bit of random discomfort in diff body parts got better. Also, I had several skin issues (eczema, rosacea, breakouts) disappeared. I have had a couple times in the recent past where I unintentionally consumed something I shouldn't have (in ways you don't think about - like lipgloss) & symptoms quickly returned. DH pointed out that I started wearing my VS lipgloss again & that's why I was feeling crummy again. I tossed them all & paid more attention to even bath & body labels & things got better again.

MANY people have a gluten intolerance or allergy in more severe cases. It's often overlooked or mistaken as something else b/c most people assume that since their symptoms aren't GI related, then it wouldn't be what they are eating. Gluten (& other allergies/sensitivities) can manifest in MANY other forms. The best way to find out if that's your issue or not is to do an illimination diet. If you feel better after a few weeks on the gluten free diet, then bingo. If you aren't sure that's why you are feeling better or not, then re-introduce the the gluten after a few weeks. If your symptoms return, then you can bet on that being the problem.

You may also want to consider other issues if you suspect a food allergy or sensitivity. If it doesn't seem to be gluten, it could be another food like dairy. I believe there are a lot more people out there with gluten or dairy allergies than are even aware of that being their issue.

cody82414 01-22-2013 07:49 PM

Bump

momEmac 01-23-2013 07:57 AM

I have a lot of fatigue and brain fog from gluten, as well as stomach issues. I've found through trial and error that mine isn't severe and I can handle small amounts. For me this means nothing that is straight bread, like pizza (really messes me up) but I can have an occasional piece of breaded chicken. I eat gluten free on most days, but if I eat out or at someone's house and there is little that is gluten free I will splurge a little. I've kind of learned how much is ok and how much is not. You may want to look into other known food sensitivities like corn and dairy if going off gluten doesn't completely solve your issues. Good luck!

My iDevices are out to get me. Please excuse mistakes. :)