Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Part-time EC success questionnaire. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450000)

MichelleKiley 10-03-2012 10:26 AM

Part-time EC success questionnaire.

I'm a bit of a part-time EC-er.
Baby girl wears cloth diapers, but we catch somewhere around 5-8 times a day.

I'm wondering about part-timers who are farther down the road than me.

1. How "EC" are you? Do you use diapers? Do you go diaper free? Somewhere inbetween?

2. How old is your baby/child?

3. When did your child start to understand the concept of going to the potty (without you putting them there ;) )? When s/he started walking? Talking? Later?

I'm in no rush for my babe to head to the potty on her own. I'm just wondering what is normal. I don't know anyone "in real life" who does this! Sometimes I feel like such a hippie. haha. :)

oldmomma 10-03-2012 11:48 AM

Re: Part-time EC success questionnaire.

I am with you. I didn't realize what I am doing and what my mom did to potty train myself and siblings was EC. My daughter is 12.5 months old. I started putting her on the potty with the ring about 1-2 months ago. She would go every time and I did it right after naps. Now I am getting brave. I am going diaperless during most of the day and diapers at night/naps. We are just doing this at home not at daycare. I would say our accuracy is 50-60%.

I am with you. I feel like a young hippee.

shen7 10-03-2012 02:43 PM

1. How "EC" are you? Do you use diapers? Do you go diaper free? Somewhere inbetween?

I use cloth diapers, natural fibers, no stay dry. We do some naked and/or coverless time. We did more ECing when she was littler and easier to manage. She is rowdy and all over the place now (and over 27 lbs!!!), but we still potty her when she wakes up, and offer at most diaper changes, and whenever she shows interest in the potty.

16 months

3. When did your child start to understand the concept of going to the potty (without you putting them there ;) )? When s/he started walking? Talking? Later?

She started walking around 10-11 months. Very active and mobile. Around 15 months she knew what the potty was and would run to it sometimes and try to sit on it (I always take her bottoms off, help her sit, and cue her when she does this, but she only goes in the potty about 1/3 of the time - I figure it's usually just practice), and she began to play-potty her stuffed animals (we usually say "oh look, doggy's peeing, there he goes! Now M's turn!" And then try to put her on). She is still just experimenting I think. She is not talking much at all yet, just a few words.

I don't really see "diaper free = success" as a guiding principle. For me it is about her having the potty as an option and having another avenue for my communication and bond with her. Any decrease in my cloth laundry is just a bonus :)

MichelleKiley 10-03-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shen7

I use cloth diapers, natural fibers, no stay dry. We do some naked and/or coverless time. We did more ECing when she was littler and easier to manage. She is rowdy and all over the place now (and over 27 lbs!!!), but we still potty her when she wakes up, and offer at most diaper changes, and whenever she shows interest in the potty.

16 months

She started walking around 10-11 months. Very active and mobile. Around 15 months she knew what the potty was and would run to it sometimes and try to sit on it (I always take her bottoms off, help her sit, and cue her when she does this, but she only goes in the potty about 1/3 of the time - I figure it's usually just practice), and she began to play-potty her stuffed animals (we usually say "oh look, doggy's peeing, there he goes! Now M's turn!" And then try to put her on). She is still just experimenting I think. She is not talking much at all yet, just a few words.

I don't really see "diaper free = success" as a guiding principle. For me it is about her having the potty as an option and having another avenue for my communication and bond with her. Any decrease in my cloth laundry is just a bonus :)

Heheh. Good point about "success." ;)
I honestly don't think it even saves me much diaper laundry as a bonus... She goes so often (4 months old)!
But I just want her to feel like I understand what she needs.
Again... I feel like such a hippie. :P

waterisntsomething 10-03-2012 04:06 PM

I got pretty good for a bit when DS was a couple months old but the in started cloth and fell off the wagon. Not he is 8 months old and i have recently jumped back in. I didn't really mean to start back up I just started noticing when he was about it poop. he starts fussing and can't be consoled so I just hold him over his potty and he usually goes. he woke me up this morning fussing and I caught a poop and a pee. He only poop every 3 or 4 days right now. Most of the pees I catch are in the process of trying to catch a poop. I have been getting a little more brave about going diaperless but he wears them for the most part.

happyhungryhippo 10-05-2012 07:00 PM

My 8 month old wears diapers. We go around diaper-free occasionally throughout the day, usually when I'm too lazy to put her diaper back on after having a pee on the potty. Around the house we use prefolds because I want her to be able to feel when she pees. Outside of the home I use AIO's.

I feel like she understands how the potty works. Most times when I place her on her potty she pees right away. And we hardly ever miss a poop. But we do miss a pee every day, whether she's wearing a diaper or not. I figure she'll sort it out on her own eventually!!

kathryngraces 11-06-2012 07:25 PM

We use diapers. Prefolds or fitteds in a prefold belt and no covers. Sometimes we go diaper free - when outside, or right after a pee/poop. I'd say diaper free time is between 15min and 2 hours a day. On the shorter side now that the weather is cooler and we're inside more.

Almost 17 months old, and we've been ECing since about 8 weeks.

3. When did your child start to understand the concept of going to the potty (without you putting them there )? When s/he started walking? Talking? Later?

When he was 12 or 13 months old, he learned the sign for "poop," and for about 2 weeks, he would sign to us whenever he wanted to go to the potty. And, suddenly, that all stopped. He hasn't signed "poop" in months, and never cues to go either pee or poop. But, he does know about pottying & what it is for. When we wake up in the morning, he gets up and walks to the bathroom (sometimes with a detour by the toybox :), same after his nap. And sometimes he'll walk to the potty when he needs to go, or point toward the bathroom looking uncomfortable... but not often! I think he "got" the concept of the potty well before he could sign or walk, though. He just chooses not to let it get in the way of all the other stuff he wants to do!

JadeScarlet 11-07-2012 04:29 PM

1. Full time diapers usually. Sometimes I let him play naked with towels on the floor or outside on the balcony.

2. 14 months

3. No signs, no words. He likes to take the potty apart and play with the bucket but never sits on it unless I put him there. Even if he is naked he won't sit himself down on the potty.

We really haven't had that much success - for a while I could tell if he was about to poop and I'd rush him to the potty. But now he usually grimaces while he is in the act of pooping so if I rush him to the potty he has already gone. With pee I have no idea - I just sit him on the potty at diaper changes or if I see him pee in the bath I will use the words and signs.

songbird516 11-09-2012 08:44 PM

How EC are you?
I have an EC graduate and another that we are mostly EC-ing. I would say full-time, but we use cloth diapers. I am contemplating trying underwear because he can go a LOT longer than my first without peeing. It's a little frustrating sometimes!
How old is your baby?
7.5 months

I think that he definitely understands what's going on. He sometimes tries to sign, and he uses the cue sound that he made up (not the one that I started using, lol). He sometimes crawls over to the potty and pees on the floor. Over the past few days he's been reluctant to sit on it, much to my dismay. He also has been waking me up to take him more at night. (also much to my dismay).
My first I started underwear around 16 months. She didn't walk until 14.5 months, and it didn't seem logical to make the switch until then, since she couldn't take herself anyway. I'm fairly certain that this guy will walk a lot sooner, so I will probably start trying underwear part-time fairly soon.

And I am SUCH a hippie. lol. My husband makes fun of me all of the time.

MichelleKiley 11-21-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by songbird516
How EC are you?
I have an EC graduate and another that we are mostly EC-ing. I would say full-time, but we use cloth diapers. I am contemplating trying underwear because he can go a LOT longer than my first without peeing. It's a little frustrating sometimes!
How old is your baby?
7.5 months

I think that he definitely understands what's going on. He sometimes tries to sign, and he uses the cue sound that he made up (not the one that I started using, lol). He sometimes crawls over to the potty and pees on the floor. Over the past few days he's been reluctant to sit on it, much to my dismay. He also has been waking me up to take him more at night. (also much to my dismay).
My first I started underwear around 16 months. She didn't walk until 14.5 months, and it didn't seem logical to make the switch until then, since she couldn't take herself anyway. I'm fairly certain that this guy will walk a lot sooner, so I will probably start trying underwear part-time fairly soon.

And I am SUCH a hippie. lol. My husband makes fun of me all of the time.

Haha! My daughter also wakes me up at night, MUCH to my dismay. But, dang, she is persistent! She will kick me for an hour until I take her to go poo.
Glad I'm not the only one who feels irritable about it at 4 am. ;)