Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   chicken pox vaccine effectiveness (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450034)

ohgirlohboyohno 10-03-2012 12:27 PM

chicken pox vaccine effectiveness

**not a debate about getting vax'd or not getting vax'd **
just curious about experiences

So, this week my (one week shy of 1 yr old) DD came down with chicken pox. She has not had the vaccine yet.

We think she got it from my 13 yr old. The week prior older dd woke up with a bunch of spots on her face and neck. They originally looked like pimples but by the end of the day they all popped and by the following day they were scabbing over...not typical acne (and she does not have an acne problem and uses face wash etc). The Dr. couldn't figure out what it was and just trated it as a staph infection.

But then this week the baby got spots and when I took her in he said chicken pox...we never considered older DD having chicken pox cause she has had a vaccine and a booster for them. And was exposed to them at around 2nd grade when our neighbor (and her best friend) got them (was a vax'd kid too)

SOOOO....after all that rambling I was curious how many people have had kids that were vax'd or know of kids that were vax'd and still got pox?

AND.....is this an"adverse reaction" to a vax? (with older dd) like should I be reporting it to someone? Vaccine group or something??

bluedaisyma 10-03-2012 01:42 PM

Re: chicken pox vaccine effectiveness

when my kids had the chicken pox (from a pox party on purpose, not vaxxed), we were in a co-op for homeschool. a mom who had gotten her 3 kids the vax wasn't worried about being around my kids....and her kids got it worse than mine

mibarra 10-03-2012 01:51 PM

Both my girls (3 and 21 months) are vaxed. The younger was exposed at Daycare (kid got symptoms while at daycare) but didn't get it...

canadianbakers 10-03-2012 05:58 PM

The vaccine can prevent kids from contracting it, but in most cases it doesn't - they get it, but usually a milder case than they would have without the vaccine.

smashncakes 10-03-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadianbakers (Post 15765917)
The vaccine can prevent kids from contracting it, but in most cases it doesn't - they get it, but usually a milder case than they would have without the vaccine.

:yeahthat:

hailey1312 10-03-2012 06:42 PM

it's not a vaccine that gives lifelong immunity. So it could even wear off.

Computermama 10-03-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailey1312

Very few vaccines grant lifelong immunity. Most are supposed to be followed up with boosters every 5-10 years. The varicella vaccine is one of them, which is why we've chosen to put it off until titers can be drawn at puberty.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum

isabelsmummy 10-03-2012 07:39 PM

My dd's daycare had a round of chicken pox a few years ago. Of the 24 kids, 7 got chicken pox. I would assume most of the kids at the daycare were vaccinated but I don't know specifically about the 7 who got it. dd didn't and she had been vaccinated.

mekat 10-03-2012 08:51 PM

My son is vaccinated and I thought he caught it. His rash looked exactly like the chicken pox rash. He wound up having infantigo instead. In his case the deciding factor (because even the doctor was borderline between the two in diagnosing) was the rash was concentrated on the face and while present on the rest of the body was very sparse. The other determining factor was he had had no known exposure to chicken pox. The final proof came when it responded immediately to antibiotics. So just a word of caution some of these "failed" vaccine cases may not actually be what they seem since some illnesses (at least one I know of for sure) can imitate the chicken pox rash.

JennTheMomma 10-03-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadianbakers (Post 15765917)

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailey1312 (Post 15766053)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Computermama (Post 15766131)
Very few vaccines grant lifelong immunity. Most are supposed to be followed up with boosters every 5-10 years. The varicella vaccine is one of them, which is why we've chosen to put it off until titers can be drawn at puberty.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum

Yup