Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Yup Lip/Tongue Tie (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450061)

l_Kimmie_l 10-03-2012 01:03 PM

Yup Lip/Tongue Tie

We found out that Finn has a upper lip tie and posterior tongue tie. We will not be getting it clipped as it is too thick to do in the office. He would need anastesia. No point in putting him under as I have breastfeeding under control and his growth is good. Later if it causes issues we will. She says he may have a space between his teeth, but that should be it.

Let's hope she is right. She says her baby has this too.

loni1090 10-07-2012 05:43 PM

Re: Yup Lip/Tongue Tie

I am sure he will be fine since he has breastfeeding under control! I totally get not wanting to put him under anesthesia since he is so little!

doulamomma 10-07-2012 06:01 PM

I don't blame you for not wanting to get it done. Glad you have bf down :)

Sent from my droid

Connor 10-07-2012 08:10 PM

How many opinions have you had? There are many Drs that will recommend GA and it actually isn't necessary. There are lots of issues that can be caused by tongue and lip ties. Tongue can affect digestion, speech, tooth decay (bottom teeth), lip can affect speech, and it creates a pocket over those top teeth that traps food particles and bacteria and can cause decay. I would seek out a skilled physician that has lots of experience with ptt/lt because GA likely isn't necessary. Either way, it is definitely your choice and I support whatever choice you feel is best. :thumbsup:

mpink22 10-07-2012 08:27 PM

My DS had a lip tie and posterior tongue tie release without GA.

l_Kimmie_l 10-08-2012 09:22 AM

HIs is really thick so that is why it cannot be cut in the office. His ptt is very minimal and would require GA to get to it, too. She said given what his looks like, he will probably have a space between his two top front teeth from the lip tie and that is it. If it starts to cause other issues, I am supposed to come back and discuss cutting it. Right now it is not effecting anything that we can tell. HIs latch is not as strong as my other children, but he seems to be doing better now than when he was a newbie.

SPJ&E 10-08-2012 10:15 AM

My son has an upper lip tie (and I assume has a posterior tongue tie as well). He ripped his (lip tie) right after his 1 year checkup. We had just talked to his doctor about it and she said that dentists usually won't touch them until they are 3 because most resolve on their own. We were satisfied with that. We had just planned to continue making sure we brushed his teeth really well (which we do anyway) to try to prevent any decay issues and aside from that, just keep an eye on it.

A few days later, he ran through the living room while mama was vacuuming and tripped (over the vacuum), landing face first on the floor. The lip tie would always bleed when he fell, but this time, it bled a ton...as in it was dripping. Once the bleeding mostly stopped, I pulled his lip up and sure enough, he ripped it to about halfway up his gums (to what looks pretty normal, I would say). It was down between his front teeth, causing a gap (which was what we discussed with his doctor). It's only been about a month since and the gap between his front teeth is gone already.

The whole bleeding profusely thing was scary, but I will say that I am glad we don't have to deal with surgery or anything later on! I hope your little guy's resolves on its own or doesn't cause any issues in the future.

l_Kimmie_l 10-08-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Connor (Post 15782671)
How many opinions have you had? There are many Drs that will recommend GA and it actually isn't necessary. There are lots of issues that can be caused by tongue and lip ties. Tongue can affect digestion, speech, tooth decay (bottom teeth), lip can affect speech, and it creates a pocket over those top teeth that traps food particles and bacteria and can cause decay. I would seek out a skilled physician that has lots of experience with ptt/lt because GA likely isn't necessary. Either way, it is definitely your choice and I support whatever choice you feel is best. :thumbsup:

I only got my pedi's opinion. His tongue is barely tied from what we can see. He can blow raspberries and touch his nose with it...LOL! I will have another pedi look at him. She said that the band on the upper lip is too thick to clip in her office. I have a hereditary bleeding disorder that I could pass down and cannot be tested for until 2 yrs old. So, with that high chance of bleeding, she would recommend GA, which she does not recommend for a baby his age unless there is a good reason. If he was not feeding, etc. She did tell me if I see other things arise because of his ties, then we will revisit the idea of snipping them.

l_Kimmie_l 10-08-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPJ&E (Post 15784438)
My son has an upper lip tie (and I assume has a posterior tongue tie as well). He ripped his (lip tie) right after his 1 year checkup. We had just talked to his doctor about it and she said that dentists usually won't touch them until they are 3 because most resolve on their own. We were satisfied with that. We had just planned to continue making sure we brushed his teeth really well (which we do anyway) to try to prevent any decay issues and aside from that, just keep an eye on it.

A few days later, he ran through the living room while mama was vacuuming and tripped (over the vacuum), landing face first on the floor. The lip tie would always bleed when he fell, but this time, it bled a ton...as in it was dripping. Once the bleeding mostly stopped, I pulled his lip up and sure enough, he ripped it to about halfway up his gums (to what looks pretty normal, I would say). It was down between his front teeth, causing a gap (which was what we discussed with his doctor). It's only been about a month since and the gap between his front teeth is gone already.

The whole bleeding profusely thing was scary, but I will say that I am glad we don't have to deal with surgery or anything later on! I hope your little guy's resolves on its own or doesn't cause any issues in the future.

That is basically the senerio that she is recommending here. I massage it too to help stretch it like she said I could. I worry about it breaking due to the bleeding issue. I am glad your son's resolved on its own. That bleeding must have been scarey. Mouth bleeding always is crazy heavy. That is great the gap is already gone. I am not looking forward to surgery for him, but we may if it does not break on its own and he turns out to have the bleeding disorder.

Connor 10-08-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l

I only got my pedi's opinion. His tongue is barely tied from what we can see. He can blow raspberries and touch his nose with it...LOL! I will have another pedi look at him. She said that the band on the upper lip is too thick to clip in her office. I have a hereditary bleeding disorder that I could pass down and cannot be tested for until 2 yrs old. So, with that high chance of bleeding, she would recommend GA, which she does not recommend for a baby his age unless there is a good reason. If he was not feeding, etc. She did tell me if I see other things arise because of his ties, then we will revisit the idea of snipping them.

My son's was very thick, tight, and came all the way down to his gums. It was clipped in office by an ENT with a local. It literally took a min, maybe 90 seconds. My son had also fallen and torn it several times and it was very painful for him.

Honestly most pedis don't have much experience in this dept. Have you emailed with dr kotlow? He's super friendly and quick to respond, he may request pics too. I seriously doubt he would recommend GA and he's the tt expert.