Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Intra-articular steroid injection in hip (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450100)

VinhThiMom 10-03-2012 01:32 PM

Intra-articular steroid injection in hip

Anyone have this done? Probably not, since not many people this age have arthritis in the hip, but I thought I'd give it a shot. Hoping for some reassurance and calm vibes. My procedure is at 7:30am. 17 hours. :afraid::nervous:

I've read so many scary things. Especially scary is the outbreak of meningitis that over a dozen people got from these injections locally over the past few months (two have died). And the risk of joint infection. And necrosis. And tendon rupture. I should really stop reading online. :cry:

juliasmom 10-03-2012 01:45 PM

No personal experience, but I think my DH could benefit from it. He had major hip reconstruction 20 years ago and it frequently gives him pain. Hope all goes well and it helps with your pain! Update with your experience please.

somo_chickenlady 10-03-2012 01:49 PM

Re: Intra-articular steroid injection in hip

Not in my hip, but I have had it done in my shoulder. The local anesthesia was the worst part, the injection itself wasn't bad at all. It just felt weird, hard to describe, though. After it was done, my shoulder felt SO much better for quite a long time, and it had this really "full" feeling for a while also.

Good luck! As my husband would say...stop reading on the internet about it. lol

3 ladybugs 10-03-2012 01:56 PM

I have had a bone marrow biopsy there and that was AWFUL. I would assume that it would be WAY better then that. If I were you I would just get freaked out about the artery thing and not about the rest of it. I have a port and I terrified of that thing!

Good luck!

VinhThiMom 10-04-2012 09:07 AM

That was the biggest flipping needle I've ever seen in my life!! Holy cow. I took a picture of it. LOL

There wasn't a lot of pain, but it was very uncomfortable. And my nerves got the best of me and I had a panic attack. But I'm home and resting now. I'm supposed to take it easy today and resume normal activities tomorrow. They said once the anesthetic wears off, the pain will get worse than before for a day or two until the steroids kick in.

cristancanoe 10-04-2012 09:32 AM

I am glad to hear it went well. I hope it works to heal your pain.

And I can imagine the needle is super long! OOch. :)

momtojande 10-04-2012 09:42 AM

DH was getting them pretty often in his right hip up until he had it replaced last spring. And he's up to about twice a year on his left hip now.

What they said is true, that it may feel worse or at least stiffer for a few days. It does seem to help him a lot for several good months though.

For what it's worth, I did medical transcription for an orthopedist for about 4 years. He does these all the time, very routine, never any complications that I can recall.

MatildasMum 10-04-2012 10:21 AM

You know better than to read Dr Google. *spank*

amegrl520 10-04-2012 12:38 PM

Gl

amegrl520 10-04-2012 12:39 PM

^sorry didn't finish my post up there

Glad to hear that went well. How have you been doing? I dont remember seeing an update in your other thread. Have they narrowed down a cause for the pain?