Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Has anyone had a diabetes test at their 6 week pp appointment after having GD? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450105)

Done at 3 10-03-2012 01:45 PM

Has anyone had a diabetes test at their 6 week pp appointment after having GD?

I had GD again with DS3 and now they are calling me to do a PP 2 hour glucose test. I've never had to before and I don't wanna :( lol. Has anyone else been asked to take this test? If so did it result in a diabetes diagnosis? Do you think it would be terrible to skip it? Thanks mamas :)

7 for now 10-03-2012 02:03 PM

I had GD with my last pregnancy. This time I was tested at 12 weeks. They skipped the one hour and we just did the three hour. I only did the fasting draw and the one hour one though because I failed both of them. I have GD again. My fasting was 111 and my one hour one was 210. Since I failed at 2 points we stopped and proceeded with diet, finger sticks and a nightly dose of Glyburide 2.5 to keep my fasting numbers down. I fully expect to be on it twice a day though as I was at the end o my last preg.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

7 for now 10-03-2012 02:04 PM

Sorry. I just reread. I had to do a 2 hour at my 6 week PP and that came back fine.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Done at 3 10-03-2012 04:04 PM

Thanks, I had never heard of anybody having to get tested after delivery. Sitting in the hospital for 2 hours with a 7 week old baby and a nutty 3 year old seems like sheer torture! I really just want to skip it but have a feeling they are going to harass me about it :( grrr.

3Xblessed 10-03-2012 04:06 PM

Re: Has anyone had a diabetes test at their 6 week pp appointment after having GD?

Can you just continue to test your blood. I would think after a few weeks of good numbers that you would be free and clear.

Done at 3 10-03-2012 04:12 PM

That's not a bad idea. I really don't even think I had GD this last time because it was very easy to control and DS3 was my smallest by over a pound.

AHIAMOM 10-03-2012 10:26 PM

Re: Has anyone had a diabetes test at their 6 week pp appointment after having GD?

I don't remember them ever telling me to go back with dd3. They did tell me to go back with ds though (different doctor). I was with you and the thought of doing the test with a newborn sounded like a nightmare so I skipped it.

me_just_me 10-03-2012 11:15 PM

I did the test. I do think it is important. I was so happy to find out that I passed! I had a fasting of 85 and at the 2 hour mark I was 82. It was actually very reassuring to take the test and have nice low numbers!

If remember correctly, they want you to be tested every year or so. There is a 50% chance of developing diabetes in the 5 years following a GD pregnancy, so they want to keep an eye on you to make sure you are okay.

badmisterkitty 10-04-2012 12:08 PM

I had my 6 week PP checkup today. This was my 3rd pregnancy with GD and a 2 hour post partum test was ordered. I have not done it yet but my OB said I should take my fasting blood glucose levels about once or twice a month for now. I do intend to have the test done, just not right now. I would want to know if I had diabetes so I could manage it.