Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due in March (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=169)
-   -   I can't beleive it.... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450114)

roseyroberts 10-03-2012 01:56 PM

I can't beleive it....

We have been the victim of identity theft. They wiped out our bank account..which granted wasnt very much to begin with. We are very poor family. But they utilized our $300 worth of overdraft protection along with the few hundred available in the account. We are already $500 in the red. The bills we thought we barely paid, with nothing left over...weren't paid at all some creep drained the acct before the bills went through...the overdraft charges aren't even on there yet..at $30 bucks a pop....oh plus all the returned check fees that the bill holders are going to charge for getting their checks back......plus one of the bills was our electric bill...they have this policy if your late to pay your bill twice, the third time you get charged a $400 deposit. this will cause it to be the third time.
I am so overwhelmed. The bank says anybody can claim they didn't charge something. Ok. The charges are for TODAY...clear accross the country in another state..and I am standing right here in front of you!!
Dh went to police station to file a report.
Dh gets paid friday for the past two weeks. It's gonna take every bit plus some to repay the bills/charges and get the account out of the red. That will leave us with 2wks before our next paycheck. So no gas. No groceries. No paying bills..nothing for 2 wks.

twinpossible 10-03-2012 02:00 PM

Re: I can't beleive it....

OMG I am SO sorry! How terrible! Call everyone you paid already and tell them what has happened. File a report with the police and cancel that bank account. This really stinks mama. We had some identity theft too, a person opened and AT&T account under my name. It took forever to get that off. Have you tried calling your bank and speaking to someone higher up? This cannot be the first time they have had this happen in that bank!
Oh and I personally would go to the bank your hubby's check is from or a check into cash and cash his entire check. You need money for food, figure out the bills as you can.

roseyroberts 10-03-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinpossible
OMG I am SO sorry! How terrible! Call everyone you paid already and tell them what has happened. File a report with the police and cancel that bank account. This really stinks mama. We had some identity theft too, a person opened and AT&T account under my name. It took forever to get that off. Have you tried calling your bank and speaking to someone higher up? This cannot be the first time they have had this happen in that bank!
Oh and I personally would go to the bank your hubby's check is from or a check into cash and cash his entire check. You need money for food, figure out the bills as you can.

The bank won't do anything until the a full investigation is made by the police depart and walmart in that state.
We had the bank acct numbers changed.
Dh's paycheck is actomatically deposited from the company he works for into the acct.
I am scared to let the account sit on red. I would be terrified of going to jail because of all the "hot checks" its going to look like we have been writing to all of our debtors. :(
Its not like they took our credit card and maxed it....its our personal bank acct! I am so overwhelmed and depressed! I don't know where to begin to fix this! ((cry)) my poor dh works 40 hrs a wk and barely pulls in $400 per wk for the 7 (going on 8 of us).....and to see it just taken and then left to deal with the aftereffects and charges is just too much.

Sunshine915 10-03-2012 02:47 PM

Holy cow. All of this over a few hundred dollars? I can't believe that your bank is being so heartless about the whole thing. I agree with Anya--call the people you wrote the checks to and explained what happened. Hopefully they'll be able to work something out for you--at least to wipe out the $400 deposit and that sort of thing. Good luck. :hugs:

MyVintageBliss 10-03-2012 03:51 PM

Wow, I can't believe that Cynthia!! When did this happen and how did this happen? That's just crazy, so sorry. I know you must be stressed out but just try to rely on Jehovah. We're definitely thinking of y'all and please let us know if there is something we can do. Keep us updated!!!

roseyroberts 10-03-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyVintageBliss
Wow, I can't believe that Cynthia!! When did this happen and how did this happen? That's just crazy, so sorry. I know you must be stressed out but just try to rely on Jehovah. We're definitely thinking of y'all and please let us know if there is something we can do. Keep us updated!!!

It happened today. They withdrew it all this afternoon. the bank said that you should never use a bank card to purchase anything online, to only use credit cards. When you purchase online using your bc the business gets all your acct info...all it takes is a dishonest employee..
So depressing. We just barely get by week after week......and I don't complain, I am content with what we have...but I have never had to deal with someone taking what little we do have! just seems so unfair! But who says life in this world is fair, huh?

dncegrl 10-03-2012 04:39 PM

Wow. I would suggest as soon as you get through this, get a new bank. I have had someone steal from me a couple of times now and I have never been treated this way by my bank. Especially if the charges are in another state...really? U can't be in 2 places at once. I'm sorry this happened to u. It can be so frustrating and stressful! I hope u get everything worked out quickly!

Christylkeller 10-03-2012 04:40 PM

OMGoodness! That is AWFUL! I am so sorry momma! Can you go to your home owners insurance or renters insurance for help? I know mine has identity theft protection built in. Also a local church (even if you don't attend) may have a benevolence fund or food pantry that could help you out. Catholic Charities? Try and utilize the resources around you until this gets straightened out. Also, as a PP mentioned, call your creditors. They may ask for a copy of the police report to verify what you are telling them.

roseyroberts 10-03-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dncegrl
Wow. I would suggest as soon as you get through this, get a new bank. I have had someone steal from me a couple of times now and I have never been treated this way by my bank. Especially if the charges are in another state...really? U can't be in 2 places at once. I'm sorry this happened to u. It can be so frustrating and stressful! I hope u get everything worked out quickly!

Thanks. Seriously, its made me think "who needs a bank....dealing with just cash might be better!"

twinpossible 10-03-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christylkeller (Post 15765824)
OMGoodness! That is AWFUL! I am so sorry momma! Can you go to your home owners insurance or renters insurance for help? I know mine has identity theft protection built in. Also a local church (even if you don't attend) may have a benevolence fund or food pantry that could help you out. Catholic Charities? Try and utilize the resources around you until this gets straightened out. Also, as a PP mentioned, call your creditors. They may ask for a copy of the police report to verify what you are telling them.

So true, you might have some protection under a rental or home owners insurance. I would look into it. I know Catholic Charities in our town helps in situations like these.

I agree with changing banks, they are being rude to you. How could you have prevented this? Maybe move to a credit union? We deal mostly in cash and distrust banks, no credit cards either. It just doesn't feel "safe".

So sorry you are going through all this!