Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Baby losing weight (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450126)

Miss squish 10-03-2012 02:16 PM

Baby losing weight

Ds is 5 mo tomorrow. We went to the VNA for a baby massage class and they weigh babies at the end if you want. He was less than he was last time he was weighed 2 weeks ago. So I took him to the pedi's office for a quick nurse visit to get him weighed. He's lost 3 oz in 2 weeks, he's back to his 4 mo weight. But he grew 2 inches!

Pedi wanted to see us after the nurse told her about his weight and she wants to do weekly weigh ins for a while. She said I either need to supplement with formula or increase my supply. I already take MotherLove more milk tincture multiple times a day because I can hardly keep up with him, but now I guess I'm stuck pumping again. :yuck: I want to avoid formula as ds was supplemented a few days after birth to 3 weeks and that just made the supply issue worse, plus it really didn't agree with his belly.

When should I pump? Should I pump after every time I feed him, between feedings, once in the early morning just in order to get some to supplement?

And is it odd that he's growing but losing weight? I was thinking this walking home so didn't ask - if he's not getting enough to eat then how did he grow 2 inches in 3 weeks! Or am I off base here? I don't want to be missing something else going on, kwim?

l_Kimmie_l 10-03-2012 02:45 PM

Re: Baby losing weight

I would not worry about 3 ounces, he could just have used the 3 ounces to get longer. If he was hungry, he would tel you. My DS keeps fussing if I do not have enough. You can pump 10 min after each feeding to boost supply if you want. I added 2 pills of fenugreek to my More Milk Plus and that helped me. I had supply issues too. Bad ones. From birth till 4 months he only nursed 2 times per day, and now he solely nurses.

court3189 10-03-2012 02:51 PM

Have you considered using an SNS system if you supplement? I'd see too if this is a short-term week or two variation or a long term trend. That to me would be the 'should I worry/should I not factor'.

Miss squish 10-03-2012 03:46 PM

His weight gain has slowed significantly in the past month and a half. 3 1/2 months he was 14 lb 12 oz, 4 mo 14 lb 15 oz, 4 1/2 mo 15 lb 2 oz, now at 5 mo back to 14 lb 15 oz. At 4 mo he was 25.5 in and now he's 27.5!

This from a baby who was over 10 lb at birth. :headscratch:

How can an SNS be useful here? Currently Ds loves bottles and I pump a couple times a week to keep him I'm the habit or to leave him with dh for short periods.

l_Kimmie_l 10-03-2012 03:53 PM

SNS allows him to stimulate the breast at the same time get more to eat per sitting. Works better than a pump.

songbird516 10-03-2012 04:02 PM

I also wouldn't worry about 3 ounces. 3 ounces could be anything. He could have just peed out 3 ounces. I would keep an eye on it and try to maybe add some things to your diet like coconut oil, fish oil, full-fat yogurt...etc, but I wouldn't stress over it. Oatmeal with lots of butter, maybe.

tibeca 10-03-2012 05:46 PM

It is normal for babies to slow their weight gain as they approach 6 months. I wouldn't stress too much unless it becomes a trend.

Miss squish 10-04-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l (Post 15765595)
SNS allows him to stimulate the breast at the same time get more to eat per sitting. Works better than a pump.

Okay,, that makes sense. I guess I only thought of them for babies who can't/shouldn't/won't use a bottle, like newbies or babies who refuse.

I will try not to worry until his weight is checked next week. Hard!