Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   DD hates school!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450129)

nada87 10-03-2012 02:26 PM

DD hates school!!

She feels like she isn't learning anything (she can read and do basic adding/subtracting and the class is working on letter ID and numbers 1-10). She says her favorite part of school is coming home. She also says the kids don't talk to her (her class is largely hispanic/ESL and they speak spanish outside the classroom) and one boy has gotten the others calling her weird. This has something to do with a wall she was smelling a couple weeks ago (she was trying to make the kids laugh but they started calling her weird).
Its kindergarten, she isn't supposed to hate it! We have parent teacher conference on the 17th and I will bring it up then but my heart breaks for her. I hate sending her knowing she is having a horrible time. I don't want her to feel that way. She is my baby and I don't know how to fix this for her

mibarra 10-03-2012 03:12 PM

Re: DD hates school!!

If she is advanced for the class, the teacher should be accommodating that and giving her more challenging work. I would bring it up at the conference. I'm sorry the other kids aren't very welcoming. :( I hope things get better!

Erinne 10-03-2012 03:32 PM

Is there any way she could go to a different school? Here they will take kids if there is room, and it's still early enough in the year that it might be worth it.

isabelsmummy 10-03-2012 03:40 PM

Definitely talk to the teacher about the school work. The 17th is two weeks away so I would see about moving that up.

Kindergarten is still young enough to for parents to manufacture friendships and that's what we all do in Kindy. Ask her if any of the girls seem nice and then set to work organizing afterschool and weekend playdates etc..

All she needs is 2-3 good friends and then it won't matter what the rest of the class is doing/speaking because she'll be off having fun with her friends.

nada87 10-03-2012 05:14 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! I am sending her teacher an email tomorrow. I just need to figure out how to word it. We were offered the choice of putting her in another school but dh nixed it. He thought it would be more hassle for her. I will see if thats still an option.

mibarra 10-03-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nada87
Thanks for the suggestions! I am sending her teacher an email tomorrow. I just need to figure out how to word it. We were offered the choice of putting her in another school but dh nixed it. He thought it would be more hassle for her. I will see if thats still an option.

Word it as asking for help, keep it positive and try really hard not to sound like you're blaming her. Teachers love to work with reasonable concerned parents, but they are constantly under attack.