Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Night time diapering, help! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450144)

Mama_K 10-03-2012 03:04 PM

Night time diapering, help!

I have really been struggling with cloth diapering at night. I've found a good fitting diaper for my son and there are no leaks BUT it smells soooooo bad in the morning that I can't stand it! I'm 18 weeks pregnant so I'm sure pregnancy sensitivity to smells makes it worse. The diapers wash up fine and smell clean after washing it's just when he wakes up after 10-12 hours of sleep that it's gross! Any advise or is this just one of the gross parts of cloth diapering?

madmollyann 10-03-2012 03:08 PM

Re: Night time diapering, help!

:popcorn:
I'm curious about this too. The night time diaper is the only one with that kind of stink- the rest of her diapers are fine. Hopefully some of these more experienced mamas have some tips!

babymakes3.4.5.... 10-03-2012 03:57 PM

Is it an ammonia smell or just stinky smell? Either way IMO they aren't getting clean enough. I had to start super rinsing my night diapers first thing in the morning before they went in the wet bag, and that really helped with my ammonia issues! I also stick to the RECOMMENDED amount of detergent and bleach once a month...I know not everyone agrees with that but it's what works to keep my diapers clean. I have also thought about trying bac out, I have heard mixed reviews on it, so I'm still deciding. Hope that helps some and that plenty of other mamas chime in with ideas!

nonipie 10-03-2012 05:19 PM

No that's not just a part of cd. That is a diaper that is not actually getting clean. Smell strongly of urine, sure but foul smelling or ammonia means something is wrong. I agree with the PP on the bleach and detergent.

janellenowitzke 10-03-2012 07:45 PM

Hmm... I never used bleach as I was told not to. But I think I need to try it to as I have stink issues. Anyone know why we aren't supposed to use bleach on diapers ever?

nonipie 10-03-2012 08:34 PM

Supposedly it breaks down the fibers and causes them to wear out sooner. I have been using it however for 5 years and all my diapers are perfectly fine. I would think if you are dumping it on the diapers, soaking them in it or using more than 1/4-1/2 cup every single wash then sure they probably won't hold up so well. Otherwise though I doubt it will harm them.

BirthdayMama 10-03-2012 09:24 PM

I partially agree that a strong ammonia smell means they're not clean enough, but my DD went through a phase where her overnight sposie smelled pretty strongly of ammonia. She slept for 14 hours at a time and just had crazy caustic pee. But I definitely agree that rinsing it out in the morning is worth a try to see if it helps. And using a little bleach.

eponine203 10-04-2012 02:46 AM

I like the rinsing idea for sure, I'll have to try that. I know Bum Genius recommends bleach on their diapers (I think once a month or so, as mentioned) but I think many manufacturers don't. Your wash routine can be tweaked in so many ways depending on diapers, detergent, washing machine, and if you have the climate for sun drying. As long as it's working for you and isn't voiding your warranty (if it's still active), then go for it! I know my daughter's diapers do have a lovely scent when she's used them well. It isn't terrible at all, seems normal, but I'm not preggo at the moment!!!

AZmommy 10-04-2012 11:46 AM

I've had my mostly sposie at night time wearing toddler wake up to StRONG ammonia smell at times obviously not build up ect in those. SO if it occasionally happens I think it can just be something that happens.. Pregancy nose of course can also aid to the offensive odor... However I agree though it shouldn't be a normal thing. Normally CD or cloth we get a strong pee smell especially when I change her *like upon opening the diaper) but never some over the top offensive ammonia.
I bleach in every load ussually jsut a few cap fulls I do the reccomened 1/3 cup every other month or so.. bleaching since 2003 no damage.

rivershere 10-04-2012 05:38 PM

Unfortunately, I still haven't found a diaper to work at night with my LO. Usually I have to double stuff the diaper which makes it so bulky and uncomfy, not to mention it still leaks.