Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Update: It wasn't croup.....Think my 2 1/2 yr old has Croup.. what to do? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450171)

Michelle_M 10-03-2012 04:37 PM

Update: It wasn't croup.....Think my 2 1/2 yr old has Croup.. what to do?

Update:

I'm glad I listened to my "mommy instincts" and took him to the doctor. It turns out that he doesn't have croup, it's a really nasty sinus infection. So she gave us a prescription for antibiotics and a cough syrup to give as needed.

Poor baby slept so hard and so well last night! Gave him Tylenol for the fever and the cough syrup along with his antibiotic and the kid was out like a light at bed time and slept in this morning... and fever is gone.

The pediatrician said that she could see why I thought it was croup, based on the cough alone, and just hearing the cough, if she hadn't examined him it would have been what she thought too.

So.... to new mommies..... ALWAYS listen to your mommy instincts. If I had talked myself out of going to the pediatrician poor guy would have just gotten worse while I waited for the "croup" to pass.

God bless!

Last night DS3 starting having that "seal bark" coughing in his sleep. Today he has a really runny nose, fever, the "seal" cough, and breathing sounds funny.

He has a doctor's appointment for tomorrow. I wanted to take him to Urgent Care tonight, but they won't see him because they aren't his PCP (gotta love Medicaid)... so basically the choice is the ER, or wait until tomorrow afternoon for the doctor appointment.

I told DH that I want DS3 in bed with us tonight, that I would just feel better.

I hate that he's feeling so bad, and I can't help but cry over it (gotta love postpartum hormones that make everything SOOO much better, *sigh*).

So.... advice?
Thanks
God bless!

kannondicarpo 10-03-2012 04:39 PM

Re: Think my 2 1/2 yr old has Croup.. what to do?

My son gets this quite easily. I do the steamy HOT shower and then straight outside to the cold air or in front of the freezer. It usually gets it to calm down enough for him to sleep for awhile. He usually beats it within a day or two. :hugs: PP hormones (well hormones overall) are no fun.

leyash 10-03-2012 04:39 PM

My now 10 year old was diagnosed with asthma when he was 8 months old.

That said, if this makes you feel any better, even if it sounds like he's having trouble breathing, know that he's most likely not! My son would sound TERRIBLE, and his O2 was at 98% or more, every time we went in.

First thing you need to do, is take him in the bathroom, turn on the hot shower, and let him breathe in the steam, deeply, through his mouth. Do this before bed. While he's breathing in, cup your hand, and pat his back, fairly hard (not too hard), while he's breathing in. Then, stick his head in the freezer, straight from the steam shower. Yes, I'm serious. The steam will help break up all that junk, and the freezer will take the inflamed vocal cords down.

Give him a dose of ibuprofen and something ICE cold to drink. He should sleep lovely through the night.

leyash 10-03-2012 04:41 PM

Also, let him sleep propped up on a pillow or two. This will help the gunk to drain, and not settle back into his chest. Doing this stuff will atleast help you get through until your appointment tomorrow, where they might give him a dose of steroids and/or a breathing treatment. Of course, if they do not feel that it is bad enough, they may just send you home and tell you to do the steam shower/cold drink thing for the next few days. The fever is from whatever cold he had that caused the gunk to appear in the first place.

escapethevillage 10-03-2012 04:43 PM

Hopefully it's cold there at night, and tonight you can take him outside for a drive with the windows open, or for a walk. If it's not cold there, like a PP suggested you can try standing in front of the freezer door after the steamy bathroom trick.

If his chest is sucking in when he breathes, you might want to go to the ER. But, usually kids get croup, and do just fine. It's a common illness. It is basically a cold for adults, but the kids get stridor along with the cold.

Popsicles help too. You want the cold air on his airway.

Tina5834 10-03-2012 04:50 PM

Urgent Care won't see him?! That's insane! So its either PCP or ER?! I don't like that one bit.

My children get this 2 times a year (spring and fall) and we do the albuterol treatments, steamy showers, and sit out in the cold dry air. I hope he gets better soon!

Mokzie 10-03-2012 05:02 PM

My 19 month old and 3 year old just got over croup!! The baby was put on steroids and an inhaler along with antibiotics (but that was for his pneumonia he had on top of it) .. My 3 year old was just on Tylenol and Motrin alternated and then breathing treatments as needed. The steamy shower outdoor cold trick at night helped big time!! Taking to the doctor tomorrow is fine, if they stop breathing or don't stop coughing at all then I'd say go to the ER! Good Luck Momma, croup is crap!!

Michelle_M 10-03-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kannondicarpo (Post 15765818)
My son gets this quite easily. I do the steamy HOT shower and then straight outside to the cold air or in front of the freezer. It usually gets it to calm down enough for him to sleep for awhile. He usually beats it within a day or two. :hugs: PP hormones (well hormones overall) are no fun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leyash (Post 15765821)
My now 10 year old was diagnosed with asthma when he was 8 months old.

That said, if this makes you feel any better, even if it sounds like he's having trouble breathing, know that he's most likely not! My son would sound TERRIBLE, and his O2 was at 98% or more, every time we went in.

First thing you need to do, is take him in the bathroom, turn on the hot shower, and let him breathe in the steam, deeply, through his mouth. Do this before bed. While he's breathing in, cup your hand, and pat his back, fairly hard (not too hard), while he's breathing in. Then, stick his head in the freezer, straight from the steam shower. Yes, I'm serious. The steam will help break up all that junk, and the freezer will take the inflamed vocal cords down.

Give him a dose of ibuprofen and something ICE cold to drink. He should sleep lovely through the night.

Thanks so much ladies.

Question.. I don't have any baby Ibuprofen, just Tylenol. Will Tylenol work, or do I need to send DH to the store?

And when I take him to the doctor tomorrow, is there anything they will do for him? Or will it be basically what you've already said, paired with the standard "hydrate hydrate hydrate?"

Thanks!!!
God bless!

leyash 10-03-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle_M (Post 15765948)
Thanks so much ladies.

Question.. I don't have any baby Ibuprofen, just Tylenol. Will Tylenol work, or do I need to send DH to the store?

And when I take him to the doctor tomorrow, is there anything they will do for him? Or will it be basically what you've already said, paired with the standard "hydrate hydrate hydrate?"

Thanks!!!
God bless!

Ibuprofen works better, as it is an anti-inflammatory, so it helps with the swelling of the vocal cords.

leyash 10-03-2012 05:12 PM

And yeah, they will tell you to keep up on the cold fluids. Not only will it help his throat, but it can help the cough, too.

With us, they gave him an oral steroid (for a 2 1/2 year old, it might be a shot), and an albuterol breathing treatment. Sometimes, as he got older, they would just send us home if it wasn't bad enough to need treatment.