Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Anyone have a motorcycle? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450200)

NFPMommy6709 10-03-2012 06:31 PM

Anyone have a motorcycle?

DH is wanting to buy a new motorcycle. The starter bike he is looking at is around $4k and then $500 or so for good clothing and a good helmet. He wants new because used only brings it down by a small amount and he wants to be as sure as he can be of its reliability.

I'm just wondering what to expect in terms of maintenance and insurance. We know that we will save on gas, especially with DH taking the HOV lane to work. We are a one car family now and it would be SO nice to have a car at home instead of being cooped up in our apartment.

keen1981 10-03-2012 06:41 PM

Depends where you live and your DH's job.

We got one for $4,000 (a steal) and DH used it a lot. It cost $94 a month in insurance, but he certainly saved that in gas., BUT it became less handy as my DH's job changed. He was constantly needing to bring luggage in/out work and his hours were crazy. So it sat a lot. We never thought it would but he couldn't carry his gear on it. We sold it this year because the savings didn't outweigh the maintance. If he buys new and drives correctly he shouldn't have much upkeep. But driving at high speeds and being a bit wreck less can wear the tires terribly. So that's something to consider! My dad had a motorcycle when I grew up and so did I. Lol. So fun!

libbyl 10-03-2012 08:41 PM

My husband has been using a motorcycle to commute to work for a couple years now. It has worked out well for us. We have saved sooo much money in gas ( that is the only reason I "let" him get one). He has special rain gear and cold weather gear. He rides his as long as he can, and we live in Wisconsin ;) He has special side bags to hold his laptop and bags and stuff.

3Xblessed 10-03-2012 08:51 PM

Re: Anyone have a motorcycle?

Is he mechanically inclined?

My dh has ridden dirt bikes since he was 5yrs old and has been working on his own bikes since about 10. Last year with gas prices being what they are he got an enduro (street and dirt). He changes his own oil every month (he rides 40 miles a day round trip and if he gets away early sneaks up into our local mountains for a quick off road ride). There really is no huge maintenance because he does all the work and parts are really cheap. He bought his bike used.

He also does a huge off road trip from the border of CA to Cabo San Lucas (1500 miles) and has a big bike for that as well. He just did a major tune up including forks, tires etc for around $300. This is all the maintenance he will do for the year that includes this ride, another baja ride of about 500 miles and then a season in the desert. This is hard riding with jumps and huge rocks. (Look up rip to the tip and rip to cabo on Youtube).

That said I do worry about him. He is a great rider but I don't trust the other drivers. Also freak accidents happen (last year on the rip a buddy died...he was a pro rider and an x-games medalist). On a motorcycle there is nothing protecting you from harm. DH only rides on a back country road that is not frequently driven.

happysmileylady 10-03-2012 09:03 PM

Re: Anyone have a motorcycle?

My DH has a bike. The bike he owns he purchased used, from my dad, for $1500. He already had a helmet from his previous bike but he doesn't have winter weather gear, we figure that would be about $200 ish, and the helmet cost us about $75. Plates on the bike cost us $65 a year, insurance is only $8 a month, liability only because it's a 1987.

Maint. we haven't put much in. About $90 for one tire and we have only had it about 9 months of the last year. DH busted off a foot peg, that was $25 to replace but it was his mistake that cause that. Otherwise we haven't put anything into it.

Gas, when he takes the car to work 5 days a week, it costs twice as much as it costs to take the bike to work 5 days a week.