Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Babywearing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Ring Sling-- best uses (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450206)

janellenowitzke 10-03-2012 06:44 PM

Ring Sling-- best uses

I am considering getting a ring sling. What are they best for? Newborn? Toddlers? Casual carrying? Would you carry a kid for a longer period in it, like a zoo trip?

magoose 10-03-2012 08:13 PM

Re: Ring Sling-- best uses

Quote:

Originally Posted by janellenowitzke (Post 15766323)
I am considering getting a ring sling. What are they best for? Newborn? Toddlers? Casual carrying? Would you carry a kid for a longer period in it, like a zoo trip?

I hope someone answers because I'm looking into getting a ring sling as well. I want something super quick and easy to use just for around the house or shopping or whatever. Hopefully someone will answer.

mabelinoad 10-03-2012 08:33 PM

I use it on my 2month old, she's 13lbs and after a couple hours, my shoulder starts to tingle a bit lol...I wouldn't use it much more than that. That said, I use my ringsling more than my wrap/beco. It's easy for quick trips and much needed naps. I think everyone needs one in their stash :)

For a long trip, like 3-4hr zoo trip, I'd use a wrap or SSC so both shoulders carry the weight. But.... If your kiddo has good head control, RUB carry is an option with a sling, YouTube it :)

juliasmom 10-03-2012 09:34 PM

I personally like a RS for newborns until 3 or 4 months and again for hip carries at the toddler up and down all the time phase. I perfer a SSC in the interim.

moonlightblonde 10-04-2012 08:23 AM

I like them for in & out - short store trips or running to the bus stop. LOVED them with a newborn & still like it on my 17lber but not for extended periods - for that I prefer my boba, babyhawk or linen wrap.

ma_grizz 10-04-2012 06:53 PM

my ring sling saved both me and my daughter's sanity from day one! my first sling was made by a friend and so wonderful, but now that she is 14 lbs i have upgraded to a girasol ring sling with a gathered shoulder, which is far more comfortable because i can spread it out over my shoulder and avoid neck and shoulder pain.

i use it in and out, but for long trips/neighborhood errands or going on the subway i prefer my babyhawk mei tai. for the airport both my dude and i like the beco butterfly II because we can switch off without taking the baby out of the carrier.

i recommend a ring sling to every parent! it's an easy way to keep your small fry close and cozy.

lynn97 10-04-2012 08:45 PM

I just bought a RS thinking I'd use it for a future baby but I would love to use it for my 15-mo old DS. What kind of wrap/hold would I use for the hip carry?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Ashlynnray 10-04-2012 09:07 PM

I have a Sakura bloom RS and I love it. I use it mainly for shopping trips or if I need to do something quickly around the house. My DS is 7.5 months and 21 lbs. I wear him in the hip carry. If we are going to be out a long time, I wear him in the ergo as its much more comfortable for longer periods. But it's great for the times when we have short trips!

Palooka 10-04-2012 09:13 PM

As others said, short trips and times when they are on/off/on/off frequently like the airport. I didn't like the ringsling with my baby before he was 4 or 5 months, I prefer a woven wrap for little babies and for longer excursions.

bonusround 02-23-2013 02:14 PM

LOVE my ring slings. They are good for tiny ones, but my four year olds can still use them too. Great to nurse in.