Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Green, slimy BM (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450210)

janellenowitzke 10-03-2012 06:54 PM

Green, slimy BM

I have a 8 week old EBF baby who has had green slimy poop since a couple weeks old. I played around with block feeding (only on one side for a couple hours) in case she was getting an imbalance of fore- and hind- milk. I also have discussed a milk protein allergy with her doctor. The doctor is not worried about it because she is having no other issues or problems. He said these things just happen sometimes and it will work out. It's still in the back of my mind though? Anyone else have thoughts or experience with this? Should I get a second opinion from another doctor?

gingerpeachee 10-03-2012 06:59 PM

Re: Green, slimy BM

Gustavo slimey green poop when he was ebf, coupled with a rash on his cheeks and his poop kinda smelled like cake batter. For him it was a milk protein allergy.

Larstepla 10-03-2012 08:06 PM

My DD had the same type of poop you are describing for the first couple of months. I was concerned, as you are. I found it to be very green, slimy or almost mucous like. It looked like she had liquified grass in her diaper! It was not frothy though- which is good. I spoke with her paediatrician and he told me that it was completely normal- there is a wide variety of colour for EBF poop. As she got older it changed to a more yellow colour. (She is now 4 months, still EBF and it is still greenish sometimes, but mostly mustardy. There may be nothing at all wrong- but talk to your doctor to be sure.

tibeca 10-07-2012 02:27 PM

As long as there are no other signs to be concerned about, it can be normal. Other things to look for:
Body rashes
Excessive spitting (but only if it makes baby unhappy)
Screaming, back arching or other signs of discomfort

DragonnMama 10-10-2012 10:47 AM

Very normal. EBF poo can be all sorts of crazy colors -- my lactation consultant said unless it is lime green or bloody, it's not a concern. In all her years she had only seen one nursing pair EVER who had foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. It's really rare and has gotten blown way out of proportion on the intertubes!

oldmomma 10-10-2012 12:18 PM

You could try to eliminate milk from your diet for a couple of weeks and see if it makes a difference. If not, then go back to dairy. But I agree, baby poo can be crazy colors.

Lauren1041 10-11-2012 07:43 AM

I'm having this issue right now with my three month old. It has been the mustard yellow color but has been mucous and slimy, sometimes stringy. I thought that it was strange, but just his normal poop until I saw a tiny speck of red in it. It was so tiny, almost like a red piece of fuzz or lint. I called the doc and he wanted to see him. I brought in another poopy diaper that ds had an hour before our appointment that didn't have any red in it. The doc tested it for blood and it was positive. Since it's been ongoing, the doc said it was an allergy to something in my, and he actually thought nuts more so than dairy because I eat a ton of nut and limit my dairy. I've since cut out both from my diet and I'm waiting to see some improvement.