Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Help! Friend losing milk supply quick, and baby only 6 weeks old! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450213)

crunchymamaNY 10-03-2012 08:01 PM

Help! Friend losing milk supply quick, and baby only 6 weeks old!

My friend's baby is only just about 6 weeks old. She told me today that she is having the worst time trying to breastfeed her baby, and really wants to. The baby had a hard time latching, so she pumps, but found that she can only get 2oz per day!!! AND, baby has lost a pound. This is really big since she's so young (the baby that is).

She tried fenugreek? I think it's called, and no difference. What else can she do?

knodceo 10-03-2012 08:07 PM

Contact la leche league.

Palooka 10-03-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knodceo
Contact la leche league.

This. La leche league women know it all.

Also:
Is she using a hospital grade double pump?
Is she alternating pumping and nursing frequently?
Is she co-sleeping?

juliasmom 10-03-2012 08:18 PM

Yes, she needs to see an IBCLC ASAP! Pump output is not a true imdicator of supply, but the weightloss means there is something going on. Also, remind her it is not all or nothing. Even if she has to supplement, babies get immune benefits from just 3 oz of BM a day.

crunchymamaNY 10-03-2012 08:34 PM

Re: Help! Friend losing milk supply quick, and baby only 6 weeks old!

She does supliment. We don't have a LLL in the area :( Our hospital nursing consultant was contacted twice and she never got a call back. It's super frustrating. She is a single mama, so she can't afford a very expensive pump, I'm sure. Not sure what kind she uses though.

Palooka 10-03-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchymamaNY
She does supliment. We don't have a LLL in the area :( Our hospital nursing consultant was contacted twice and she never got a call back. It's super frustrating. She is a single mama, so she can't afford a very expensive pump, I'm sure. Not sure what kind she uses though.

She can go on the lll website and contact them to request help. They are great at getting back to you, I think there's even a hotline.

I rent my breast pump by the month, it's hospital grade and costs 55$ per month, not much more than formula would cost

keen1981 10-03-2012 08:41 PM

Well how often is baby at breast? For how long? How much is she supplementing? How much does baby sleep?

WannaBeGreen2011 10-03-2012 09:01 PM

Your friend should nurse as often as she can. The first few weeks I basically stayed I bed with water, snacks, and the baby. The baby should not be put onto a schedule yet. Let her nurse as much as she can. Mom should eat everytime baby does.

She should feed as often as she can and then pump right after if she can. She may not get any milk, but the extra stimulation will bring in more milk.

Fenugreek is great but I think oatmeal helps too. If she's drinking coffee, she should try to stop or drink less or half-caff. I stopped drinking coffee and within two days my pumping output doubled! Lots and lots of water. Things to avoid: peppermint and spearmint.

LLL is helpful, but I think being helped in person is better. Can she find a local mommy group to join? Maybe someone in the group will be a BF mom with tips.

I had a REALLY low supply and am managing to almost keep up with my baby's demand now. Lots of trial and error, and no coffee, and I'm finally on the right track at 9 months old. I do supplement with my sister's milk when he's not with me (bottles at daycare) since my body doesn't really like a pump, but at home baby nurses every 2-3 hours and is more than satisfied.

From my iPhone, probably while BF'ing.

crunchymamaNY 10-04-2012 06:55 AM

Thanks all! Yeah, I told her NO caffeine at all, and to nurse often, or at least pump at every feeding. I read that you can pump, and when the milk stops, to continue pumping as it stimulates even more milk. I told her to get a hospital grade double electric pump. I don't see her much, but she knows I'm very pro nursing. My son is 2.5 years old and I still bf him.

crunchymamaNY 10-04-2012 06:56 AM

Thanks all! Yeah, I told her NO caffeine at all, and to nurse often, or at least pump at every feeding. I read that you can pump, and when the milk stops, to continue pumping as it stimulates even more milk. I told her to get a hospital grade double electric pump. I don't see her much, but she knows I'm very pro nursing. My son is 2.5 years old and I still bf him.