Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Family Planning (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Natural Family Planning Advice (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450222)

janellenowitzke 10-03-2012 07:26 PM

Natural Family Planning Advice

My doc does not prescribe birth control for religious reasons. Also, I am breast feeding so I know that birth control can affect supply. My doctor suggested the Billings Ovulation Method but I couldn't find anyone to teach us after my last daughter was born, hence my second daughter arrived. :) Anyone have advice on this? Or know of other BC methods that won't affect my supply if I were to find another doctor?

erlyjo 10-03-2012 10:01 PM

We use Billings method. We taught ourselves after reading the book called "The Billings Method". It's available on Amazon. It's really quite simple and easy, and has worked perfectly for us to both avoid and achieve pregnancy for the last 8 years!

geetabean 10-04-2012 07:59 AM

Re: Natural Family Planning Advice

Quote:

Originally Posted by janellenowitzke (Post 15766517)
My doc does not prescribe birth control for religious reasons. Also, I am breast feeding so I know that birth control can affect supply. My doctor suggested the Billings Ovulation Method but I couldn't find anyone to teach us after my last daughter was born, hence my second daughter arrived. :) Anyone have advice on this? Or know of other BC methods that won't affect my supply if I were to find another doctor?

I got the Mirena IUD after 2 of my babies. I never had any side effects and it didn't interfere with nursing. I believe there is also the copper IUD that doesn't have any hormones involved if hormones are an issue for you. After my 3rd LO my husband and I practiced the highly scientific pull out method for 2 years. :giggle: I knew roughly when I ovulated and we just kinda stayed away from those days. It worked for us. I've also heard that the mini pill is good while nursing, but I've never been on it.

Personally, I would get a new doctor. I am all for people having their own religious beliefs, but when it interferes with my medical care and health then its time for me to move on. If you have the same religious convictions then that's a different story, but if you don't, his/her religion shouldn't dictate your family planning. Just my :2cents:.

pester 10-04-2012 08:02 AM

Not the specific method you mentioned but I would recommend the book taking charge of your fertility.

Kap7270 10-04-2012 08:28 AM

Re: Natural Family Planning Advice

Creighton Model is very similar to Billings and is very effective while breastfeeding. I highly recommend finding a teacher instead of reading a book - it can really help with the learning curve in the beginning and can help you understand what to do when your cycles don't exactly match the textbook version. Breastfeeding can be a trickier time for natural family planning so it's an especially important time to have a good teacher. If you would like, I can help you find a Creighton Model teacher near you. If there isn't one nearby, you can learn the method long-distance via Skype or telephone.