Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Tell me about kids sharing a room (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450229)

mebl0901 10-03-2012 07:40 PM

Tell me about kids sharing a room

I got the idea from the kid room picture thread to put my two in a room together and make the other room a play room. I think I could have things a little more organized that way. Here's my concern. My DD is 5 and DS is almost 2. They pretty much go to sleep at the same time and wake up at the same time so that's not really an issue. But for those of you who have kids who room share at this age, is it hard to make them go to sleep or do they stay up talking or giggling? Also, DS is still in his crib. I'm wondering if I could transition them to bunk beds with him on the bottom.

Just interested in hearing how it works for others. Thanks!

keen1981 10-03-2012 07:41 PM

I put one down first. Likely the youngest. Then the other goes in.

nicolemariep 10-03-2012 07:46 PM

Re: Tell me about kids sharing a room

My boys are 4 and almost 2. They go to bed and get up around the same time. They share a room, and sure they stay up and giggle a little most nights, but they settle down and go to sleep fairly quickly most of the time :)

gingerpeachee 10-03-2012 07:50 PM

I have my boys in the same room- darn close to 5 and almost 2. They giggle a little and then go to sleep.

janellenowitzke 10-03-2012 07:53 PM

I was wondering about this too. We have a 1 1/2 year old girl and a 2 month old. I would like them in the same room within 2 years too. We don't have furniture for the LO yet and are trying to decide whether to buy another lifetime crib or move the 1 1/2 year old up to a single bed (with the intention of buying a matching single bed for LO in a year or two.) Plus, our older daughter was caught climbing out so we need to switch her out of crib now ASAP.

ajane 10-03-2012 08:02 PM

When ds was born and we were in MD, DD1 who was 5, DD2 who was 3, and DD3 who was 21 months all shared a room for over a year. They did fine. Although, DD1 and DD2 shared a room from when DD1 was 3 and DD2 was 18 months. I don't really remember any giggling. Maybe some talking, but I don't have a problem with that. To me, it is a part of sharing a room. They had no problems going to sleep.

erin_c_odonnell 10-03-2012 08:34 PM

At first it was a change but after several nights the newness wore off and they just go to sleep. I dont ever have issues with them waking each other or staying up now- ages 6,4,2.

newmommy13 10-03-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keen1981
I put one down first. Likely the youngest. Then the other goes in.

Ditto. Then the older kiddo has to be quiet so they dont wake up the little one or face mamas wrath! :giggle:

kitkatkc 10-03-2012 08:53 PM

I love having my girls share a room- they are 4 and 1. Depending on who goes to bed first, sometimes we read a book in their room (if YDD is up later) or sometimes we read a book in DS's room (the nights that we get everyone down on time) then ODD will go in to bed. There are nights or early mornings when YDD fusses in her crib, and ODD will sing to her, and they both settle down and go back to sleep.
We are currently staying at my parents house (we are having our floors worked on) and ODD and DS are sleeping in one room in twin beds. DS is 2. I would have no problem putting them both in the same room- I think the newness would wear off pretty wuick, but ODD has bunk beds and DS is a daredevil, and I really don't want to wake up to a kid jumping off of the top bunk.
I actually think my kids sleep better when they share a room, and would love to have another baby to share with DS so he is not alone (obviously, this is not the only reason that I would like another baby!)

shannychi 10-03-2012 08:58 PM

My oldest three are in the same room and we are about to add in my 2 year old. I truly think its makes them better sleepers. My oldest use to sleep through her brother yelling and screaming - Not crying, just yelling - he was a loud LOUD boy.

They love it. Yes, sometimes they play a little or even argue, but they are well rested.