Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Preventing GD? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450282)

Fishie Kisses 10-03-2012 10:34 PM

Preventing GD?

I had GD with DS2 and DS3...I would really REALLY like to avoid it this time if I can. Besides giving up soda (which will be hard, but I'm willing to make the sacrifice), is there anything I can do to hopefully keep my sugars in check?

TwinKristi 10-03-2012 11:33 PM

I believe you can try and switch to a very low carb/sugar diet as if you have GD from the start. I know some people claim you can prevent it but I believe more that you can control it. Some women have no issues with it at all while others have severe problems. One mama I know is really fit, works out 5 days a week, very active and eats a GD diet still had uncontrollable levels and needed meds and was threatened with hospital stays!

Fishie Kisses 10-03-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinKristi
I believe you can try and switch to a very low carb/sugar diet as if you have GD from the start. I know some people claim you can prevent it but I believe more that you can control it. Some women have no issues with it at all while others have severe problems. One mama I know is really fit, works out 5 days a week, very active and eats a GD diet still had uncontrollable levels and needed meds and was threatened with hospital stays!

In a way that makes me feel better. I was in pretty good shape with both boys and ate relatively well (I'd be lying if I said it was all healthy). I will try to do high protein and go from there

A21Lee 10-03-2012 11:57 PM

Reducing carbs can definitely be a big help, but the issue is insulin resistance. You can't really do anything to prevent that. I've heard great things about cinnamon to control blood sugar.

Van1300 10-04-2012 11:34 AM

Re: Preventing GD?

Exercise. A 20 minute walk at a fast pace after a heavy meal can help lower blood sugar.

I have GD with this pregnancy and I walked all the time before I got put on bed rest. Now I'm having a hard time controlling my sugars :( Only 5 more weeks to go!

Kiliki 10-04-2012 02:24 PM

high protein, low carb/sugar helps keep blood sugar in check. Note, this does not mean NO carbs/sugar, just low amnts.

regular excerise

plenty of water

and believe it or not, SLEEP! Not getting enough sleep can actually make your body act wonky with your blood sugar levels.

Fishie Kisses 10-04-2012 03:26 PM

I did have extreme insomnia with both those pregnancies and got pretty much NO sleep.

Kiliki 10-04-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishie Kisses (Post 15770233)
I did have extreme insomnia with both those pregnancies and got pretty much NO sleep.

yea that can affect it. If I don't sleep well, my blood sugars are really wacky.

AniMommy 10-04-2012 05:13 PM

I read stuff about the brewster diet for preventing/controlling GD. Check it out.

Kiliki 10-04-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AniMommy (Post 15770724)
I read stuff about the brewster diet for preventing/controlling GD. Check it out.

I agree!!! I learned about this diet in Bradley Method courses. I was surprised at the great success of avoiding pre-e and GD with this diet!

It's the Brewer Diet