Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   suede cloth sensitivity? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450331)

ServingHim 10-04-2012 07:47 AM

suede cloth sensitivity?

What does suede cloth sensitivity look like? My daughter has been wearing flips with a newborn flips insert for a month or so. The last two weeks she has been in the flips with flips disposable inserts then yesterday I switched her back to the newborn inserts and she developed her very first rash about 1/2 through the day. She had two small welts and she looked red and irritated.
After that I made sure to change her as soon as she peed and did lots of air time between changes and used CJs before putting her in a new diaper. By bed time it looked a lot better. For bed I put her in a BG 4.0 and when she woke up this morning her whole diaper area was red like a sun burn. It's not ammonia burn because the diaper didn't smell of ammonia at all.

Could she have developed a suedecloth sensitivity?

Thanks for the help mamas!

mekjsk2000 10-04-2012 07:51 AM

Re: suede cloth sensitivity?

When my son had it, it looked like a yeast rash or heat rash; little red bumps wherever the diaper touched. He got his from the XS BG AIOs when he was a couple weeks old.

boysniris 10-04-2012 08:00 AM

It should be a rash anywhere that the suedecloth fabric touches the skin :( However, it could be that her skin just doesn't get enough air circulation from the PUL. My son was fine in PUL until he was about 2-3 months old; then he had a rash that wouldn't go away (except if I applied hydrocortisone) until I switched to only breathable fleece or wool covers. I recommend trying a different cover or going back to those disposable inserts (seems like disposable offers more protection from wetness/greater stay-dry effect).

Kabuki24 10-04-2012 08:12 AM

For us, my son just needed more air. From what I understand, now I might be wrong here, is that suedecloth fibers are so close together that the baby doesn't get much air to the bum and in fleece the air isn't quite as close together so that's why fleece works for some babies but suedecloth doesn't.

My son's butt just got really red with suedecloth. Got rid of all suedecloth and all the sudden red butt gone!

ServingHim 10-04-2012 08:41 AM

Could it be the microfiber on the other side? I know it isn't touching her but could she still react to it?
The rash isn't everywhere the suedecloth wash touching just in her wet zone. Maybe I just went to long between changes yesterday.
I have her in our totsbots today and it is already clearing up!

Fashionably Green Baby 10-04-2012 08:48 AM

For my son his looked like a sun burn and it felt warm to the touch. Also it made his skin really dry. He would also get welts sometimes. He can do fleece inners if I don't do them back to back and he can't do any stay dry overnight as his skin can't tolerate it for such long exposure (he is 3 1/2 and sleeps 12 hours) so we now do a disposable at night for him because he can't do stay dry and at 3 1/2 he also won't stay asleep if he feels soaked (don't blame him but I also hate waking up 3 times a night to change his diaper and all 3 kids share a room so i also don't want to disturb them)