Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Potty Training (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Next step? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450387)

love2row 10-04-2012 10:17 AM

Next step?

I've just begun trying to PT DS (2.5 yrs) in the past two weeks. We're starting slowly, as I'm not sure if he's 100% ready for it. But, I'm expecting #2 in March and would love to have DS trained before then. I know you're not supposed to force it, but I really want to encourage trying to use the potty.

So far we're rewarding with M&M's for sitting on the potty, and have him in cloth trainers at home (Grovia & Bum Cheeks). He's asking to sit on the potty after diaper changes, but isn't getting the idea of actually going pee/poop in the potty. He's still only using trainers and diaper for elimination. I'm trying to get him on the potty every 40 mins to 1 hr. I'm thinking that they trainers that I have are too much like his regular CD's and he doesn't feel the need to change. I know this sounds selfish, but we're not into doing bare butt training right now because we just had our carpets cleaned (ridiculous, I know). I'm wondering if I should just get some undies for home day use, or if I should back off for now. Any experience and advice would be great. TIA!!

eileprose 10-04-2012 10:51 AM

Re: Next step?

Let me start by saying this is all my opinion, you know your kid please disregard if this is completely crazy for you.

I probably shouldn't weigh in here because I have haven't done this in a while (my boys are 8 and 11). I just had a little girl (9 weeks) But I have to be honest, so many people on the DS website talk about potty training, potty learning like it should happen very early and very quickly...It doesn't.

My oldest son had 'accidents' until he was almost 4. He started potty training at 2.5, had a HUGE set back and then wouldn't sit on the potty again until he was 3. My other son didn't potty train fully until he was 3 to 3.5. But because we didn't force it the process was a lot smoother.

Yes, my boys wore 'sposies. But other than that we did everything you are doing m&ms, sitting on the potty at certain times, trainers, all that recommended stuff. If they aren't ready you can't make it happen. The huge set back my oldest had was because we were trying to make it happen. I left him alone with his father's mom and she tried to force it. He freaked out in a bathroom and scared the crud out of himself. He literally refused to sit on a toilet for 6 months after that.

My suggestions? Talk about going to the bathroom. Talk about the feeling of having to go. Let him watch his father go. (my sons were way more excited about standing up to pee, I didn't want the mess so I had tried to show them how to sit, they hated that and didn't go until their dad taught them to stand)

Read books about potty training. Everyone poops, The Princess and the potty (its a girl yes, but my boys loved it), My Big Boy Potty.
http://babyrecs.com/2012/05/31/10-po...rs-and-babies/

Don't even mention him using it. That feels like pressure at first, wait until he expresses an interest. Be like "What? you want to use it? Well, you ARE big enough..." like its a gift or something. I know that you can force a kid to use a toilet, but you don't want to do that. It ends in tears for everyone. But if you make using the potty part of the language of the house, make it look like it is something that they want to do it will happen a lot faster and with a lot less tears. You have at least 30 weeks before the baby comes. Give it a little space and time.

TypeAMom 10-06-2012 07:23 PM

So this seems opposite of pp and every kid is completely different, but we just tried the 3 day method (we're giving it 5 days, though). Today was day 3 and I only wish I tried it sooner. The first 2 days were very emotionally taxing, but once my kid got it, there were no more diaper change fights and she went from hating using the potty to going by herself and being really proud of herself. Maybe it's just b/c my kid was probably ready for potty training months ago and I was just unorganized, but it worked for us. It's difficult, but if you can somehow find the time (this is just impossible for many people given their schedule), it's a great way to focus on your kid and encourage them to use the potty in a non-threatening way. I pressured my daughter once on the morning of day one and learned my lesson right away. Good luck with whatever works for your LO.

As for the carpet thing, I'd try putting cheap, Gerber cotton training pants (basically thick undies) under his training pants. The mess will be contained, but he should have an easier time feeling the wetness.

g-offsmommy 10-10-2012 09:12 PM

We're on day 5 of potty training DS who is 2 years, 9 months. We waited until we KNEW he was ready cause we also have a 5 month old and life has been too crazy to dabble in it until now. (Though I should say that we've been talking about the potty since he turned 2, bought some training pants, a potty seat, a potty chart, let him sit on it when he wanted, showed him how mommy and daddy go, etc but didn't actually try to train until now.) He had 6 accidents the first day, and then he has had 1-2 pee accidents each day since but has been pooping in the potty fine and is napping and sleeping at night without a diaper fine. Here's what has worked for us:
-Naked time, or pants/shorts with no undies. He thinks underwear is a diaper. We even let him pick out CARS underwear at the store that he really liked, but he calls them diapers and if we put them on him, he pees in them. So commando it is. Including naps and bedtime (we didn't do that until today though, we've been putting diapers on him for naps and bed until now but he has been consistently waking up dry and today he told me "no more diapers" so I went with it).
-We checked out the "Once Upon a Potty" dvd from the library, put his potty seat in the living room and let him watch it on repeat while sitting on his potty the first 2 days. He LOVED it and wanted to do exactly what they did in the video.
-When he poops on the potty he gets to call people and brag on himself. He's so proud of himself we've called all the grandparents, great grandparents, cousins, etc. Haha.
-The treats he gets are semi-sweet chocolate chips (just cause that's what we had on hand).

abunchoflemons 10-10-2012 09:27 PM

I agree with eileprose. I tried since the birth to age 5 or something like that book said to try once they could undress themselves at 2ish is when we hit that with my oldest and it was on and off til like 4. I also realize that we moved and that didn't help as my inlaws stated with a clan of 4 kids that trained at different ages and they too had a move with some.

Just some other input too from other moms I talked to about this is that when starting early you will have ups and downs and lots said that it took longer to train the kid if started too early. If you are due the older child might feel like changes are the way to get attention and refuse to train til later. So even if you do get som4eplace before he might revert just to get attention.

We rewarded too and that didn't seem to help to finish the potty training for us. WE tried the cheering as another suggested and that was a no go too so each child is different just like some still wet at nights til like 10 yrs I have heard (mainly boys).

EmilytheStrange 10-11-2012 07:41 AM

That 'once upon a potty' DVD works?

We have the book, which she loves, but the intro says it works best with the DVD.

But we don't do tv time (except 20mins while I shower).

Everyone talks about using the tv to help potty train and while I know it can't be necessary, I'm about willing to try if it will really work.

g-offsmommy 10-11-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange (Post 15797221)
That 'once upon a potty' DVD works?

We have the book, which she loves, but the intro says it works best with the DVD.

But we don't do tv time (except 20mins while I shower).

Everyone talks about using the tv to help potty train and while I know it can't be necessary, I'm about willing to try if it will really work.

For us, it was literally like a magic wand. But as everyone always says, every child is different. For example, my child could care less about being a "big boy". That motivation means NOTHING to him.
And yeah, we kind of let certain rules go out the window for a few days. (Like limiting tv).

EmilytheStrange 10-11-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g-offsmommy (Post 15797312)
For us, it was literally like a magic wand. But as everyone always says, every child is different. For example, my child could care less about being a "big boy". That motivation means NOTHING to him.
And yeah, we kind of let certain rules go out the window for a few days. (Like limiting tv).

thanks - I'm gonna wait a little longer, then I think I will look into this dvd. My sister used it and it has good reviews.

and you're right, you don't have to make it a permanent activity, just a few days.

mdkissel 10-16-2012 09:21 AM

I don't have much advice, as I am just starting to think about PT our 2.5 year old. But I am taking all the advice in from the others. The DVD sounds like a good direction!