Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Special Needs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Toddler with constant frequent loose BM's (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450389)

jessreichenbach 10-04-2012 10:18 AM

Toddler with constant frequent loose BM's

My DD is 2 and a half and has constant loose and frequent (several times a day) BM's. They are quite strong smelling. She has had issues with this since she was 12 or so months old. we thought it was a lactose intolerance thing because milks, icecreams, etc. made it worse, but now we're noticing that even without diary products she is still constantly having loose bms several times everyday. Just wondering if anyone else had this happen, know what it could be, any ideas? We're waiting for our health insurance to kick in before we go to the docs but in the meantime if there are any ideas what i could do to help?

mekat 10-04-2012 10:50 AM

Re: Toddler with constant frequent loose BM's

Ds's problem is always constipation but I do know that people with c-diff infection have a knock you over type odor to their poop. If the smell is truly horrendous then I would definitely think she needs to give a fecal sample to test for c-diff. If it is just a little extra stinky like normal diarrhea stinky then probably not c-diff. If you are truly worried, then you can take her to the county health department and let the staff have a look at her.

AnnaRO 10-04-2012 11:15 AM

My DD is going to be 2 on Saturday and has had this happen since she was around 11 or 12 months old. For about 6 or so months she was pooping 5 to 7 times every day and it smelled (still smells) awful. She has gone down to just once or twice a day and now has some harder BM's, but it still smells awful. I she's in her room with the door closed and poops, I can smell when I walk past the room. I mentioned this at all of her ped appointments and well checks since she was 12 months old and was told it was entirely normal. It doesn't seem to bother her other anymore, but there for a while, when she was pooping often she would also get horrendous diaper rashes. It seems to be getting better, slowly, so I guess it was just normal for her.

It could just be a normal thing, but once you get an appointment be sure to mention it JIC there is something there that needs to be treated. My ped never took a stool sample or anything, she just never seemed concerned about it.

Jen's_4 10-04-2012 03:09 PM

Have you tired a gluten free diet? My girls had loose knock-you-over stools until we took gluten out of their diet. Pretty common of those with celiac.

jessreichenbach 10-05-2012 05:27 AM

I had never considered the gluten free thing until last night (saw something on the news about it) i think I might look into it a bit more to see if it will help.

luvsviola 10-06-2012 06:28 PM

Have you had her tested for C-diff?

DS has had it twice. It is icky.

Suzi 10-07-2012 06:46 AM

My son had that issue and it ended up being a sugar problem. Our doc called it toddlers diarrhea. Basically we gave him limited fruit and milk. Limited grains. Fresh fruit only. No sweets. No juice. It got better pretty quick. But, it was months before he could drink juice again.

We had tried lactose free first which made it worse since we increased the amount of fruit and juice he got

AVDesigns 10-13-2012 03:14 PM

We were told that DS has toddlers diahrrea and I believed that until it continued well after his 5th birthday. His also started around 12 months old. We finally got in to see a pediatric GI doctor and they a round of meds for constipation and when it didn't work to get his bowels moving good they did a stomach xray and finally admitted him into the children's hospital for a clean out. We were in the hospital 3 days while they pumped a gallon of med through him and then took another xray.
He's supposed to do Mirilax daily and a high fiber diet to maintain things and I definitely notice when he doesn't get enough fiber.

wordmama 10-14-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen_batten
Have you tired a gluten free diet? My girls had loose knock-you-over stools until we took gluten out of their diet. Pretty common of those with celiac.

This was my DD. for her we had to eliminate both dairy and gluten before she stabilized.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum