Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Cloth Wipes (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450392)

peightonmom 10-04-2012 10:24 AM

Cloth Wipes

I know there are probably a million thread on this, but I can't seem to get the search function to work:headscratch:

So anyways...Im new to CD, and quickly realized that sposie wipes make diaper changes too complicated.

How many wipes would one need?
What type of solution?
DO you wash them the same as the dipes?

DottieHarley 10-04-2012 10:31 AM

Re: Cloth Wipes

Hi mama! I think this is a little like asking which diapers are best... you're gonna get a million different versions.
I use cloth wipes, DH still uses sposies (and if we use a sposie while out, we use sposie wipes).
How many? depends on the age of your kid and how often you wash. Assuming you have one infant... I would say 6,000 :giggle2: It's amazing how all these little stacks of wipes are ALL OVER the house and used for EVERYTHING! Wiping butts, messy hands and faces, runny noses, small spills, etc... So useful. You can never have too many. Minimum, I would say figure out the number of changes between washings, then allow 2 wipes per change.
Solution? I do a couple cups of warm water + a squirt of baby soap (California Baby) + a squirt of oil (I think right now it's almond oil?) in an old sposie wipes tub. I keep the wipes dry, and dunk/wring as needed. I put it in a squirt bottle for a long time, but something about the mix keeps gunking up my bottles and they would leak.
I toss them right in the wetbag with the dipes and wash exactly the same. Except the ones that wind up around the house... they get washed with general laundry (but haven't been used to wipe a butt).

MamaJules 10-04-2012 10:33 AM

I think we have about 30, and that is more than enough. But my boys have always been in full time daycare (we use sposie wipes there), so we are not always using them. I use plain old tap water on them. I used to get 2-3 days worth wet at once, and keep them in a sposie wipes box -- that worked great. Now that we only have one in diapers, I just get them wet when I notice he is dirty. And yes, I just wash them with the diapers. I personally don't like to use diaper wipes for noses/faces/etc., but I have found that those little baby washcloths work great for wiping noses!

Catbutt Diapers 10-04-2012 10:38 AM

I know there are probably a million thread on this, but I can't seem to get the search function to work:headscratch:
I've been here for years and have never got search to work lol!
So anyways...Im new to CD, and quickly realized that sposie wipes make diaper changes too complicated.

How many wipes would one need?
2 per diaper is a good start, so if you have 24 diapers, 50 wipes. I have 45 in rotation.
What type of solution?
I make my own from 2 cups boiled water, 1 squirt baby wash, 1 squirt baby oil. make sure to use boiled water, regular gets stinky.
DO you wash them the same as the dipes?
yep, roll the wipe in the dipe and in the pail!

as for extra info, if you accordian fold the wipes they "pop up' in a huggies container (not pampers) or a wipe warmer

HRamey 10-04-2012 11:06 AM

I use baby washcloths that I accordion fold & put in a disposable wipe tub & travel case. After i fold them i wet them down with plain water. I also keep a spray bottle with 1 drop tea tree oil 1teaspoon aloe baby oil 1teaspoon baby wash & 1.5 cup water I do my diaper laundry about every 2 days & i get by with about 35 wipes between my tub & my travel case :)

peightonmom 10-04-2012 11:20 AM

Very helpful ladies thanks! : )

amiecheatham 10-04-2012 12:04 PM

I think you can NEVER have enough cloth wipes. I love ours and they get used for *everything.* Even when our diaper days are done I will probably hold onto a lot of them. There will always be sticky fingers and runny noses. =]

As for how many you *need* I would say 2 per diaper is a good rule of thumb. The good news is that cloth wipes work MUCH better than sposie wipes and you use less of them per change! Plus you just roll them up in the dirty diaper and wash it all together. Easy peasy.

Storage and use is different for everyone. We don't use a solution- just water. When the wipes come out of the dryer (with all the other fluff) I fold them in half and stack them. I keep them stacked and dry behind our wipes warmer at the changing station. Every day or so I grab a stack, wet them down really well with water- squeeze out the excess so they are as damp as I like them, and stick them in the wipes warmer. That way as I go to grab them throughout the day they are already wet and warm and ready to go. A lot of people keep spray bottles and wet each one but that would drive me nuts. The way we do it is as close to sposie wipes as I think you can get.

I *have* heard of people having issues with mold or mildew storing them this way but we haven't had that problem in the 2 years we've been using cloth wipes. I think that issue comes from people leaving them in there too long. For me, a stack that fills the warmer (Prince Lionheart brand, if it matters) will never last longer than a day anyway, so that might be why we've never had issues. That and using just water instead of fancy solutions. =]

HTH!

MomdeIsla 10-04-2012 12:34 PM

i use water in a sposie wipes container with a squirt of baby wash.....I didn't boil the water either....when DD was PL I just had to cut back on how many wipes I premoistened....tried to keep it to just enough for 24 hrs....and no problems...had more problems with the warmer growing mildew, but I live in a warm/ humid climate.

Catbutt Diapers 10-04-2012 02:40 PM

I should add, that for most people plain water works great, but some babies start to get a little bit of a stinky bum (even when cleaned) with just water. My DD is like that, so the wash is needed to keep the stinky clean bum away.

meljc 10-04-2012 04:55 PM

DS is in daycare full-time and we send disposable wipes for him. At home we have 15 "nice" wipes (flannel on one side, terry on the other) and about a dozen cheapie baby washcloths that we received at our baby shower and never used otherwise (need to replace these since they're polyester and repel more than they absorb). I keep all the wipes dry in a little open box on the changing table next to a peri bottle (from the hospital) with water and a squirt of baby wash. Easy enough and no concern about funny smells.